1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] No extensions for Thabeet, T-Will, Flynn, Hill

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Jan 25, 2012.

?

Should we have extended:

1. Flynn

7 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Williams

43 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. Thabeet

6 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Hill

46 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. None

153 vote(s)
    66.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

The team can still sign any of these players in free agency. In fact, I would not at all be surprised if they indeed do sign Thabeet to a more favorable contract.

T-Will making over $3 million is a joke and he will be hard pressed to get an offer from any NBA team. He simply has no future with his current attitude.

Flynn hasn't shown anything to justify an extension.

I do hope they will work something out with Jordan and Lee....both are good contributors to the team.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I like it more than most, because I actually think it might have been Morey's highest upside move. The deals for guys like Parsons and Budinger have been good, but Williams is probably the only guy we've acquired in the Morey era (save maybe Kevin Martin) where we could've been looking at an all-star, as opposed to someone who might be a solid starter. I don't think anyone could have expected this kind of outburst from Lowry.

Unfortunately, the guy can't seem to put it together. It's a shame, but a lotto protected first was worth the gamble.

1 person likes this.
  3. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

how old is he and how long has he been in the league? i don't understand what FO is doing. unless they want him to fill up the roster. otherwise, it makes no sense. maybe they are looking for a trade partner.

i am one against t-will trade due to what we give up when it happened. i expressed my unhappiness. at the time, clearly we couldn't get a superstar through trade. keeping the pick is more important than giving a try to those busts.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think you pick up Hill's contract. It's for less than $4m, and he's got a big man premium. Even though he's inconsistent, there's still a chance he pulls it together. That's worth the small investment. If his salary gets in the way of a blockbuster move in the summer, he probably wouldn't be hard to unload.

5. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I think picking up Hill is a bad move. Considering how good Morey is at finding steals in the draft and with Donatus coming over I think Hill would be a mistake.

Also, even now, I would rather see someone like Smith playing for the mimimum get the minutes and roster spot we are giving Hill.

Considering what little Hill offers the team now, and considering he seems very replaceable for next season, re-upping him is a bad move.

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

disagree on the t-will's evaluation of this year. i watched his play in first few games of the season. he don't know how to play a smart bball and don't know what team sport is. he was trying to play a team ball but he looked awfully bad. he did look good against one defender but he does have problem with help defense on him. to me, he is a great one on one street baller but not nba baller.

7. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

So only hill would become RFA?

Also, if for some reason we wanted to do this...we can offer an extra year to the 09ners if we chose to re-sign in offseason?

8. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

i want Hill to be traded for something like him who we can developo..like a lateral move..like for Robin Lopez as suggested by one of the posters here.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If you look at past comparisons of similar big men, have they still kept trade value on reasonable contracts???.... yes.

However, I think they are still debating whether a young Kwame Brown or Mikki Moore lite with a 3.5 million dollar contract is worth more on the trade market than Jordan hill as an expiring contract this next month.

Its possible the conversation in the FO is what could we get for Jordan Hill before the trade deadline Vs. what he is worth as a 3.5 million dollar a year big body off the bench and the value of his contract next season.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I noticed the same quote (great minds tend to think just like me, good job! :p) and agree that they are exploring all options. I think this means they want to know whether any team would, say, value Hill in a trade more with the option picked up. This may also mean that the only way the team picks up the option is if Hill is traded before the deadline.

11. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

They better trade Hill if they extend his contract but that would probably mean he will have to get some playing time to get at least some exposure. Nobody will trade for him if he doesn't get any pt after the contract's extended.

12. Balakoth

Balakoth Member

Drop Hill he is terrible! I stress out every time im at a game or watching it on t.v. when he comes in. Same with bud lets get his florescent ass out of here. Thabeet I would like to keep just to see what he can become. I dont know how hill plays over him. If Thabeet puts his hands up hes automatically better then Hill.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks, man.

No offense to other posters on this BBS, but when NIKEstrad takes the time to post in agreement with your take, THAT is validation.

Please post more in the GARM.

This is such an overlooked aspect of the decisions on Hill and Williams.

People need to stop only looking at whether those guys are worth their option salaries to the ROCKETS and see if they would be worth that much to any other teams on the trade market.

For instance, if an extended Hill or Williams could net the Rockets even a future second rounder, without the Rockets giving up anything else in return, then it's worth it to exercise those options and then trade the players.

Asset Management.

dobro, the one area in which I'll differ from you here is that the Rockets don't have to trade Hill by the March trade deadline. If his option is picked up (the premise of your point, I think), then the Rockets can wait until the 2012 Draft or even look at trades next summer.

Now, it is quite likely that no one is interested in Hill or Williams at their 2012-13 option price tags. But you can be damn sure that Morey has looked into this diligently and will work the phones trying to find takers for these guys.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The ones we do not pickup their options, are they UFA, and are they free to re-sign with us?

I wonder what the plan is with the cap space? Maybe we make a run at a restricted free agent like Speights.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The Hill quandry is a tough one. On one hand, he's got size and athleticism coveted in this league, but on the other hand, he's only made modest improvement in his development. If his price-tag is $4 mil it's a really tough call. Given what i've seen on teams' tolerance for underproducing bigmen around the league, I'd be optimistic about his trade value (his stats per minute are not terrible). In fact, if a team is gonna trade for him, they are likely doubling down on the belief that he will continue to improve (if even at a modest rate) and be worth having on the roster for 2 more years at a $4 mil value.

I can't believe i'm saying this, beacuase to me, he's not a very good basketball player, and has been a real disappointment, but the smart move is probably to pick up his option (trade or no trade). However, if his $4 mil undermines our cap flexibility in such a way that it reduces important options for retooling this team into a legit playoff force, I'd cut ties.

16. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Twill should go play point guard for the Knicks :cool:

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I've been a Jordan Hill supporter for a while, but he is not pushing forward, maybe its due to the coach.

He is an excellent man to man defender and offensive rebounder, both of which are needed in this league.

Ultimately I think they pick up the option. TWill, Flynn, Thabeet are no brainer no's.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

They become unrestricted FA.

The standard 1st round pick contract look like this.

Year 1-2: Guaranteed
    Year 3-4: Team option. If the team decides to not pick up the option in either year, the player becomes UFA.
    Year 5: RFA. The team can make a qualifying offer, which IIRC is a slight increase on the salary, and the team can match any offer from any other team. This is how we resigned Lowry.
    year 6: Unrestricted FA, if the player chose the Qualifying offer the previous year

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Does anybody (maybe BimaThug) have a breakdown of amount of 4th yr options (hill 3.5M, Thabeet 6m?) vs the minimum for each (given how many years in the league)? Im thinkin maybe DM thinks he can shave a couple bucks off and retain a couple as well... on the cheap.

sidenote - great cautionary tale for the protankers - alot of fools gold in the lottery.... thats 4 of the top 11 from 09 we're prob gonna let walk. Granted DM didnt pick em, but as i said before, if we had a late top 10 pick and Thabeet fell to us, everybody woulda thought xmas came early. ;)

20. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Thanks, meh. Do we have any advantages with those UFAs compared to another team? Like the ability to offer an extra year?