1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] No extensions for Thabeet, T-Will, Flynn, Hill

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Jan 25, 2012.

?

Should we have extended:

1. Flynn

7 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Williams

43 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. Thabeet

6 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Hill

46 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. None

153 vote(s)
    66.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. delta69er

delta69er Member

Flynn's game in a nutshell: dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble pick up dribble shoot contested jumper

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well considering the fact that he resigned with Denver, it's logical to conlcude that Nene & his agent did use the Rockets to bid up his price. I agree with you here.

What Bima objects to is your assertion that it was the Rockets who put this out there. I have agree with Bima: the Rockets didn't put this out there - it was nothing more than the usual wishing and hoping that goes on here on a daily basis. Most likely, it was Nene's camp who did this and the Rocketsheep here simply ran wild with it.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He should have said that then......I have no info that the Rockets tossed this out there, none, and you have never seen Morey mention it either (Probably because he legally can't)......

But Feigen has said it, and we all know he is a mouthpiece for the Rox...so I made the logical leap that the Rox were leaking this out as well.

But I really do not know, nor claim to know.

DD

4. HillBoy

Partially correct. The issue up here in Dallas boiled down to two things: Mark Cuban's playing GM and the legacy of Don Nelson. Cuban fell in love with Nellie's style of basketball which while pretty to watch, wasn't substantive enough to win you a championship. While being a great offensive coach, Nellie ignored the little things like oh, defense in the paint or having a real NBA center play the 5. After all, Nellie was a living breathing NBA legend and a star-struck Mark Cuban flushed away millions following Nellie down the Nellieball rabbit hole.

When Avery was hired, he immediately tried to change the culture of the Mavericks by insisting they get off their butts and play defense. The result? AJ lost the locker room and his job but everything he said has since been borne out.

It is at this point that Rick Carlisle & Donnie Nelson were FINALLY able to get Cuban to step back and let them do their F'ng jobs. Nelson changes the culture of the Mavs by getting Caron Butler, Dwight Stephenson & Tyson Chandler. Carlisle installs a defense first system. Oh, and they FINALLY stop asking Dirk to play the 5 and let him do what he does best. The rest you know. What is bad news for Rockets' fans is that Cuban now appears to have learned his lesson and can no longer be counted on as a boob who will waste big money on marginal players that look good running up and down the court.

Right again. And I have been critical of Les for over 10 years now precisely for the reason you pointed out - that Les is in it for the money. The whole way they handled the Yao situation indicates that financial not basketball reasons dictated their actions. The end result is that they now find themselves painted into the corner of NBA mediocrity. So Les, Morey and the boyz keep on spinning their yarns of players to come and serving up red koolaid for the Rocketsheep year after year while the team spins its wheels going nowhere.

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

See that is exactly what I am talking about.......exactly to a tee.

DD

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep.

I just watched Moneyball. Liked it a lot. I couldn't help but think, Morey, Morey, Morey, not just with the moneyball issue, but with the impersonal way they dealt with players, and how everything was done on the cheap.

With the Oakland A's, they HAD to be cheap.

With the Rockets, it isn't that the franchise can't spend money, but it's pretty clear: utilize (use) draft picks diligently; cut them loose when they're about to ask for real money; save your money for the big time free agents (that we never seem to get; thank you, Stern, thank you, years of mediocrity).

This has its dark side and its good side. We do save a lot of cap room for next year. And Jordan Hill becomes semi-expendable anyway because DMo's coming in. But watch when Morey finds a taker for Kevin Martin at the trade deadline because some team will want the playoff boost, and we'll be looking to unload a player who'd leave at the end of his contract, anyway (1 year from July) because he's been used like a c**-rag and is probably tired of it.

7. HillBoy

Morey couldn't directly say anything because it would be construed as tampering. But I'll betcha he wasn't displeased that Feigen put it out there. After all, Feigen provided him with "plausible deniability" and it was a nice little tidbit to excite the Rocketsheep who were a bit down in the dumps over the whole Yao Ming era going down the tubes thing. Remember that old saying: "Follow the money"? Apply that in this case. Now consider this: just how would both the Nene camp & the Rockets **cough** benefit from having this inaccuracy out there? When you can answer that you have your answer.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

The Rox use the media all the time for PR, keep em close or else they will lose their access.

I think that is what went on here regarding Nene, just my speculation though, and I always follow the money....for my answers....or deductions I guess.

DD

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I understand that DD is talking about the time period between 2004 and 2011 when Cuban went crazy into the lux tax to win at all cost and Les didnt. I agree that when Yao & TMac were healthy Les probably could have told CD to go crazy in the lux tax to win it all. Maybe it would helped, but maybe the team would have been in a much, much worse financial salary cap position exiting the TMac/Yao years. Hinesight is always.... yeah.

My point isnt about then. Its about the past two or three seasons that Morey has shifted from the Yao/Tmac years to rebuilding the roster, and implementing contract policies like not offering extensions after the team option year.

DD seems to think that these policies create bad rep amongst players in the league and deters free agents from wanting to come to Houston. My argument to that is that the Cuban ran Mavs of the late 2000's was the exception and not the rule then. And now entering the new CBA, even the Cuban ran Mavs have finally come back down to earth and utilized contract policies like the Rockets have been doing for the past couple of seasons. Some that could even be looked at as more player unfriendly.

Maybe Morey/Les do have a bad reputation among the league, I dont know. The little bit that I get to talk to Rockets players at the bar and such arent spent on bringing up topics like that.

However, what I do know is that what they do is no different than any other team will be doing from now on and young players need to pick their agents wisely because Restricted free agency is going to be the way teams determine post rookie contracts from now on. At least with NON Superstars.

I also believe that the players are not properly educated from their agents and need to realize that Restricted free agency CAN BE better and more profitable for the player.

Put your big boy pants on Clutchfans.

10. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

You're overlooking one major reason why Morey is so infatuated with salary cap flexibility: Baseball has no salary cap. This is why teams like the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees can have multiple superstars on their team. They can just outbid all the other teams. This isn't really the case in Basketball.

11. ROXTXIA

True this.

Although I do understand Morey's need for flexibility.

Flynn and Twill? Cut'em loose. I do hope Twill doesn't cost us a first rounder. On the other hand, it'd be nice to make the playoffs, in which case we lose the 1st rounder.

If Morey can use that cap space and upgrade the team, then I'll change my tune a bit, to be sure. I give Morey credit: he almost pulled off a great deal. I feel bad for us, the fans, and for him, who has to return to the drawing board and find another way to improve the team.

1 person likes this.
  12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So bima threw a internet fit and left? Smh, I guess the wussification of america continues. I enjoy his writing, but the board moves on. Math is easy, just go to any credible website with salaries and add or subtract. What's the begging and pleading about. Others have left and clutchfans is still alive and kicking. What's the big?

1 person likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

One thing I hate about posters here is they always seem to attach value on where a player is drafted. Flynn has all the mental qualities you want in b-ball player but he has like zero bball skills. He's coachable and positive and smiles a lot but on the court he doesn't play D, he can't shoot open shots and he learned how to be a pg from Steve Francis: dribble dribble dribble pass to sg with 3 secs left on the shot clock.

He got his ass whupped by Jeremy Lin in camp and SL, and now Mchale would rather play Lowry 41 mins rather than give him some PT. I'm not sure why someone with a reputation of being "tough as nails" in college and seems to have a good head on his shoulders would be this bad a player, but he is.

14. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Good post

15. hahachui

hahachui Member

we should extend clee....

16. ROXTXIA

If you really want to pi$$ off bima, mention how we drafted Donte Green with the express idea of trading him for Artest. I'm not saying it's true. If I may quote Butch Cassidy, "You don't have to mean it." It's just that his condescending response is always fun.

17. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

While I agree with trying to have the max amount for flexibility, I doubt major free agents will want to sign over here unless we make a trade for a superstar. I really hope we can retain Courtney because he's a very solid defender and can start on alot of other teams while playing productive minutes. He's a big upgrade from what we had with Ariza while being able to shoot.

Who knows what'll happen during the offseason, I hope we make a major move though to alter the direction we're going in because with our current players now we're doomed for mediocre-ville.

18. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I agree with your interpretation, leebigez, but I'm sure that Bima is a bigger man than that. He may have had a weak moment, but I'm sure he is more gracious than that at heart.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He brought a lot of great content to this website. Clutchfans will keep on, but losing him will definitely hurt the quality of the overall discussion. I think there's a lot of wild speculation thrown around here as informed opinion. I greatly value posters like BimaThug who can curb some of that misinformation by bringing out the facts and making well-reasoned arguments.

I agree with DD, Bima was the best poster on this board and I'll miss what he brings here. The level of research he puts into this stuff probably eats up a lot of his time, though, so I can understand if he wants to take a break.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You're acting like he died. Dude just took a break.

He'll be baaaaaaack!