1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Chron] No deal no big deal for Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zman2002, Feb 15, 2007.

1. zman2002

zman2002 Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4555234.html

Feb. 15, 2007, 12:09AM
    No deal no big deal for Rockets coach

Van Gundy says he is more concerned with how his team is playing than the fact he does not have a contract guarantee beyond this season

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Jeff Van Gundy had just become the Rockets' choice, the result of Leslie Alexander's first coaching search, when he made his first request of his future employer.

Van Gundy asked for a shorter contract.

Such was his uncertainty about the position he was accepting at the time. Now, 3 1/2 seasons later, with the Rockets on pace for their best record in a decade and with Van Gundy receiving praise for the team's success through adversity, he shows no concern with the deal he had abbreviated before taking the job.

With this season being called his best, Van Gundy is in the final year of his original Rockets contract. The extension he received for next season is not guaranteed.

Yet Alexander, while praising Van Gundy's work, won't discuss his coach's future.

Van Gundy insists he hasn't deliberated about his plans beyond this season.

"We both have a choice at the end of this year," Van Gundy, 45, said. "It's not just their choice. It's not just their option. Each side has an option.

"But I'm not trying to sound any particular way. This is a subject I really have no interest in."

The exceptions to that, he said, are concerns about his coaching staff. But he said he has not given his own interests enough consideration to even know how he feels. Van Gundy said he and Alexander have not spoken about next season.

Alexander has been steadfastly noncommittal about Van Gundy's future, even while insisting that his reticence to discuss the subject indicates nothing.

"I think Jeff has done a great job," Alexander said. "I really do. Look at our record and where we are: fifth in the Western Conference (and the NBA as a whole). I don't think anyone would have predicted that when Yao (Ming) was hurt. Really, Tracy (McGrady) and Yao have been hurt for a long time."

But when asked about Van Gundy's future, Alexander said: "I won't talk about that."

It's clear, however, that Alexander does not consider Van Gundy to be in the last season of his deal, even though next season is not guaranteed.

Future is now
    Van Gundy insists he has more pressing concerns, from defending the Mavericks' pick-and-roll to getting back defensively against Dallas tonight.
    "I would just say I'm very content with the team I'm coaching right now," Van Gundy said. "Anybody who says they have no concern in their life with the future, whether it is professionally or whatever aspect, is probably not telling the whole truth. But I spend very minimal time thinking about my professional future. It's just not that important to me right now."

If Van Gundy is content, or at least determined to concentrate on daily decisions, things have come around in ways he could not have predicted, particularly considering last season's injury-filled crash into the lottery. With a win tonight against the Mavericks, the dominant team in the league this season, the Rockets would reach the All-Star break with as many wins (34) as they had all of last season.

But much has changed that the record cannot show. Originally wary of his family's move to Houston, Van Gundy has developed such strong feelings for the city that he could embarrass the Chamber of Commerce with praise.

"The thing I know is I love living in Houston," Van Gundy said.

Although he praises his previous Rockets teams, his current one has rewarded him with a professionalism and determination that the team he inherited could not touch.

"I like for the most part what our guys have stood for, really, since I've been here," Van Gundy said. "This year has been even better."

No time for reflection
    Van Gundy won't, however, say what kind of job he has done, describing reflection as inappropriate with games to be played. He describes praise as unnecessary, sometimes uniformed and often fickle.
    "Coaches by nature have many insecurities, like all people," Van Gundy said. "But it's not paranoia if it's true. I don't worry about it. I'm at the point in my life (that) I take my self-esteem in coaching not from what anyone above me thinks — owner, GM, assistant GM. I take it from if those guys think they're being well-coached and if my staff and I think we're doing our best. I don't really need the people saying, 'Hey, you're doing a good job.'

"One thing I'm not worried about is job security. I worry about it for my guys. Look, I've been blessed. I have financial security. I do worry about them. There is no better coach in this league than (assistant head coach) Tom Thibodeau. I worry for him. Do you worry about him and Steve Clifford and Andy Greer and Charlie Ward? Yeah, because coaching is a highly volatile profession, and they're really good at what they do."

To Van Gundy, coach-of-the-year talk is merely the result of the Rockets' improved record. But if he is in the conversation because of that record, then Dallas' Avery Johnson should be the runaway favorite, Van Gundy said.

High praise from players
    The Rockets, however, offer praise where their coach won't.
    "He's the best coach I've played for," McGrady said. "I've had better motivational coaches as far as locker-room speeches, but that doesn't give them the upper hand on Jeff. He's a very smart coach, very passionate, very great — not good, great — at what he teaches us on the defensive end. Jeff has done a great job with us."

With the eye of a coach, Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson watches practices through a closed-circuit monitor.

"I have to compliment Jeff, the coaching staff and the players for finding the right buttons, pushing them at the right time, getting the right chemistry out there, making this thing work probably beyond most people's expectations," Dawson said. "Yao has not played in so long (that) I think most people have forgotten what he was doing for this team: 26 points a game and 10 rebounds. To overcome losing that, Jeff's pulled a lot of strings.

"Using Tracy the way he is, he always has the right people in spots to get them the ball. Since Yao went out, our scoring went up. His team will always play with high energy and play defense. That's the mark of a very good coach. And no team is more prepared to go on the floor. I've watched this very closely, and that impresses me."

A matter of timing
    Dawson, in his last season as general manager working with both Alexander and Van Gundy, does not believe there is "uncertainty" about the future. This simply isn't, he said, the time to talk about it.
    "It's understandable why they wouldn't do it now," Dawson said. "I was a coach all my life. I wouldn't want to do it now. To me, that's a distraction, a distraction you don't need. Nobody does that.

"Jeff has told me time and time again he loves it here and loves this team. The owner, like everybody else, is pleased with the way the team is playing and job he's doing."

After last season, it's understandable that Alexander and Van Gundy would prefer to dwell on the present instead of the future.

"It's not an issue," Van Gundy said. "And if it is an issue, it would be an issue neither one would want to talk about."

There is a third possibility, however. The remaining 30 games and postseason might answer questions better than either Van Gundy or Alexander can now.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I think an NBA championship might be the answer we all need. :)

3. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Well, he'll get his deal after the Rockets make it to at least the Western Conference Finals this season. He better come back then, too.

4. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

as if JVG won't be re-signed... he is a great coach, and done everything except win a championship... which he will, as head coach of the Houston Rockets :)

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

After reading that article, Old Man Rock and Luffy1 faint.

6. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

to be playing this well with the cast that we have, it can only be attributed to the coaching and chemistry. i would be surprised and actually disappointed if we got another coach. i don't like jvg's offense, but i can't imagine another coach doing as well overall. guess it may be time to change my sig now. but jho still sucks. sucks the life out of our opponents that is.

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

don't forget yetti. idiots.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm don't really like van gundy but I do like what he has done this season and what he did in the second half of 2004.

If we win a championship this, I will put him up there with Rudy T.

9. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

All this talk about JVG winning a title here... It's very hard! Let's look at the last 25 years in the League, do you know how many coaches have won a title? Eight! That's right only eight coaches. In addition to all 25 titles in this span the BigEight have led their team to the NBA Finals 11 more times. So for the last quarter of a century eight coaches have taken 36 out of 50 slots in the Finals!

Here's the list:
    Name: NBA Champion+ NBA Finalist:

Phil Jackson: 9+1
    Pat Riley 5+4
    Greg Popovich 3+0
    K.C. Jones 2+2
    Chuck Daly 2+1
    Rudy T 2+0
    Larry Brown 1+2
    Billy Cuningham 1+1

There's a second echelon, to which JVG belongs, that have gone to the Finals to be disapointed there. It consists of eleven coaches for the remaining 14 slots in the Finals:

Adelman (2), Byron Scott (2), Jerry Sloan (2), JVG, M Dunleavy, Brian Hill, Avery Johnson, G. Karl, Larry Bird, Paul Westphal, Bill Fitch

If JVG wins it all he will move from this second echelon to the Elite and will likely opt out of the last year of his deal.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Maybe this will shut some people up, bur I doubt it

11. Astockmarketgod

I don't like Jvg...as a coach of this team...still wish that we had went for PJ

but we have him... until he quits or gets fired...

I have to give him credit... for getting the team to play so well, without a few of its players playing or playing well...

imagine if we were losing, id would have hated to see some of the threads on JVG...

sucks to be a, coach in the NBA,

12. windfern

windfern Member

Jeff: " I was Phil Jackson in NY".

Billy: " Van Gundy is always bald gundy anywhere."

13. Taothit

Taothit Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that was the point of the article: This is the final year of his contract. Given how poorly he did last year, combined with two first round exits, didn't bode well for him walking into CD's or Les's office and demanding a long-term extension.

But, now that he has been successful this year, especially with the the degree of difficulty of keeping the Rox going minus one of our two All-stars, is deserving of not only a nice contract extension, but also Coach of the Year award. Yes, if it were based on records, then D'Antoni and Johnson would be putting the finishing touches on their acceptance speeches. But, I look it as the coach that has maximized the available talent on his team, in the face of players' injuries, suspensions, etc.

My vote is for another 3-year deal, as the alternative is likely to be a downgrade than an improvement given the current coaching pool. And I don't even want to hear Adelman's name thrown out there. We don't need a Princeton-styled Offense and we don't need Yao to be the next Vlade Divac.

14. Taothit

Taothit Member

I'll go ahead and correct myself, he apparently does have an extension, though not guaranteed.

My bad.

15. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Then your in the idiot category with Luffy, Old Man and Edc

16. bjshot

bjshot Member

WANT PJ? probably need a foxy lady with tons money who lived in Houston? maybe paris hilton? :) ;)

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I have no doubt that JVG will be extended after the season, regardless of the outcome. But, I don't have strong feelings on it either way.

18. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

What hurts me the most...is...

THAT HE SOLD OUT AND NOW LOVES LIVING IN HOUSTON!

AS A NEW YORKER, THAT BLOWS! :p

I can tell you what he likes most about Houston. THE FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD...YUMMMY!!!!

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can tell you what he likes most about Houston. THE FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD...YUMMMY!!!!

and space.

20. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Honestly man. Mcgrady had Doc losing streak Rivers and Johnny moral victory Davis as coaches.

He doesn't have anything to compare to. Obviously they motivated him more (which could be something he could use as an assistant coach), but they didn't have an offense.

Doc is like a black rudy t, except without the dominant big man in the middle to control things.

I think most Rockets fans loved that 05 JVG when Sura ran the point, even ignoring him sometimes to make plays.

This JVG seems to be more open as he was back then, and thats a good thing. Last years JVG was awful to listen to and even worse to watch work.

All in all, its hard not to be pleased with the season. Guys are doing well, Deke has become 10 years younger, Shane is all over the place, and Tmac is MVP like again.

Now go out and beat the Mavs JVG and stop letting Avery Johnson own you.