1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Newest Rocket Stromile Swift eager to please

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3293756

Forward Swift hopes to shed label of underachiever

Stromile Swift doesn't back down from the belief of many that he has underachieved in his first five seasons in the NBA.

But the former first-round pick of the Grizzlies views his new opportunity with the Rockets as a chance to right those disappointments. Swift, a 6-9, 230-pound power forward, signed with the Rockets on Tuesday, the first day NBA teams were allowed to sign free agents and announce trades under the new collective bargaining agreement.

The deal, which a source says is a four-year contract, had been on the table but did not become official until Tuesday.

"I don't think (my career) has gone as well as I planned or wanted it to go, but I've kind of improved every year," said Stromile, 25, who has averaged nine points, five rebounds and 1.4 blocked shots in 352 games with the Grizzlies after the team — then in Vancouver — made him the second overall pick of the 2000 NBA draft. "That's all I can ask of myself is to get better every year. The process has been slow, but hopefully now it will take off."

The major part of the obstacle with the Grizzlies was never being able to crack the starting lineup over Pau Gasol. And Swift also was out of position as a 6-9 post player.

But he comes to the Rockets with a chance to start and be a third of one of the most exciting young frontcourts in the NBA alongside forward Tracy McGrady and center Yao Ming.

For the most part it's a best-case scenario for the high-flying athleticism Swift brings. Unlike his situation with the Grizzlies, Swift will be teamed in the frontcourt with two All-Stars who regularly draw double teams. That should open up his game around the basket where he can rebound and score on lob passes and putbacks.

"I think it's going to make the game a lot easier for me," Swift said. "I know guys are going to have to double-team Tracy and Yao so that leaves me there to get offensive rebounds and putbacks and things like that. And when guys start to play off of me in the half court, I can step back and hit that 15-foot jump shot. If I can continue to do that, then I will be pretty good."

In addition to his low-post presence, Swift brings a lot of the athleticism the Rockets need and were missing at power forward during their opening-round playoff loss to Dallas.

"Stromile adds a lot to the way the league is going," said Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson. "This guy runs the floor tremendously well. The over-the-top scoring is exciting as a player and a fan as you watch the dunks he's had in his past career."

Swift likely will compete with veteran Juwan Howard for the starting spot should Howard return to form after a knee injury and subsequent heart problem that derailed him the final two months of last season. Vin Baker and Clarence Weatherspoon are also under contract.

2. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i liked how he said vin and spoon are still under contract... its like a good way of saying, "crap.... we are still paying these two lards a bunch load of money by just sittin on the bench... man, how i wish we can use that money to get a pg...." :D

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Anyone know what the situation with Howard's heart is? Could it get worse or is it stable for good? Should he be the guy to cut? Then do we need to pay him alll that money to play 15 minutes a game? :confused:

4. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

NBA contracts are guaranteed. Juwan will get paid whether it's by the Rockets or somebody else.
    Swift has to show a lot for Juwan to play 15 minutes a game. If Swift becomes a clear cut starter over Juwan and proves himself before the All-Star break, Juwan could be traded before the deadline for an athletic guard.

5. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I know he would still get paid. I'm just thinking of the ampentsy rule so we won't go over the luxery tax. Then we could have a little extra money to signe a might mouse or keep Deke and Barry.

#5 redgoose, Aug 3, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  6. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

So you would pay Juwan $30 million to play for another team just so you could save a couple of millions is luxury taxes? That doesn't make any sense
    He's the third best player on our team

Dallas saves $51 million by cutting Finley, not $2 million

7. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

If JHo must retire due to his heart condition do the Rockets still have to pay him his complete salary? Isn't there some sort of insurance that kicks in and can't the Rockets be exempt capwise after a year or two. Can someone illucidate, please.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Seem to remember Grant Hill said he would retire if he couldn't play anymore. Which to me means the player can decide if he wants to give up the money, JHo has made plenty already (100 Mil +) that he might be willing to retire if his health is in bad shape.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

high expectations...Finals or bust for our Rox...We still need a PG...maybe we drafted him, or maybe we're waiting for the right trade...

10. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I was referring to the rules of the NBA and CBA. Grant Hill did not have life threatening disease where doctors told him he could not come back and I don't know if Howard does either. If the player must retire permanently under doctors orders then there are rules governing how that is handled. Grant Hill could have retired and lost the money (except for insurance), but he chose not to and the Orlando team had to keep paying him and he counted toward the cap (to the tune 30-40 MIL). Had he retired I suppose he could have come back (ala Shawn Kemp) when he got better and/or ran out of money.