1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Nene talks about the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 2, 2012.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Lowry
    Lee
    Parsons
    Gasol
    Nene
    so this is what our line up would of looked like if the trade went through

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

This is a better look at what could have been

Lowry/Dragic
    Lee/Dragic/Twill
    Parsons/Bud/Morris
    Gasol/Patterson
    Nene/Chuck/Hill

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Replace Dragic with Jeremy Lin, since Dragic would have been in the deal.

4. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I hate stuff like this. Breaks my heart about what could have been. It starts a chain in my mind: yao, tmac, championship, pau, nene. Let's just stop

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It's the "superstars" that don't want to come here. Many of the regular everyday players would probably be happy to come to Houston.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No he wasn't.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Amazing. I had a roommate years ago who mentioned "tacos" when I mentioned Brazil.

Most Brazilians won't have any idea what you're talking about when you mention tacos, unless they've travelled to Mexico or, like my wife, come here to live (Ruchi's is a favorite of hers now).

Maybe Fogo de Chao can get Nene in an ad for them.

In any case, our team would have been solid. None of this Scola matador defense and Kevin Martin playing half-heartedly half of the time.

8. cml750

cml750 Member

In no way did I ever want Nene at near max money. He is not worth it. Gasol maybe but Nene not no but hell NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Morey is notorious for low-balling guys and being cheap, frankly. If he's willing to spend for someone, you should probably at least give it a second thought.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm not sure what's your point. The Nuggets never ever tried to make Nene anywhere near a Max offer. It would be like saying Courtney Lee would never leave the Rockets because we can offer $20 mil or whatever more than everyone else.

The Rockets would've given Nene somewhere around 4yr/~$61mil. Denver ended up offering 5yr/$67mil. Even before if you take into account the devalue of money over time, the Nuggets offer would be equivalent of giving Nene a 5th year at a $6 mil salary.

11. Strawman

Strawman Member

I'm glad we didn't get Nene, he's getting paid what, 13-15 mill a year for 5 years? YEAH NO THANKS

12. psingh34

psingh34 Member

correction .. no SUPERSTAR wants to come to houston.. i dont think anybody has ever implied that if we overpaid for a player they would not want to come here. Truth of the matter is, the teams in LA, New York, Miami and chicago are more interested in guys like paul, howard, lebron etc so that leaves second tier guys like nene available for teams like houston. Nene is also a special case bc as he explained houston weather is actually something that he prefers and its something that few other cities can offer.

This actually goes along EXACTLY with what a lot of us on clutch fans have been saying that had the trade gone through we would have been trading martin, dragic, scola, thabeet (amnesty) for gasol, nene, chuck oh and perhaps lin

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I didn't like the deal on the merits because I didn't think Gasol was worth what we'd be giving up. I wouldn't have even favored Scola for Gasol straight up. I don't even care who has better numbers. I watch basketball for entertainment and I freaking love Scola. Gasol not so much.

But when you factor in Nene, the happenstance of there being a spot for Lin and the fact that we would have hung on to one of my all-time favorite Rockets, Chuck Hayes, it changes up the math considerably.

I can't believe we didn't get any kind of compensation from the league for that debacle.

14. cml750

cml750 Member

Only if the plan was to trade him in a package for Dwight Howard.

15. cod

cod Member

Why would the Nuggets bid against themselves when there were no serious offers for Nene? The Rockets didn't have the money to offer a max deal unless they amnestied a player which did not occur.

What the Nuggets finally signed Nene to, could've been different if they had true competition.

Re: the dollars over the numbers of years. Players constantly bring up how the overall guaranteed money is more important than the number of years/how it's paid out.

16. Hightop

Hightop Member

Dal-em-bert!
    Dal-em-bert!
    Dal-em-bert!
    Dal-em-bert!
    Dal-em-bert!
    Dal-em-bert!
    Dal-em-bert!

17. Nook

Nook Member

Right, let's ignore what Nene himself said and just bury our head in the sand.. Unbelievable ... You and DD should go out for drinks sometime.

18. delishman

delishman Member

DD says, "Nene to the Rockets?! Pure speculation!"

19. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

right on Nene, when i think of Houston, the first word that pops in my mind is... Tropical..