1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: NBA lockout puts Rockets' decision on contract extensions in limbo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Oct 29, 2011.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...163.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

I would decline all the ’09 busts options. I don’t see much hope for any of them.

Without them on the books, that’s $17M extra for 2012 free agency/keeping GOOD role players like Lee and Dragic.

3. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

This is why the lockout needs to end immediately.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

IMO, as long as the NBA extend the deadline for about 2 days following the lockout, the Rockets will be able to make a decision either way. But if I were to guess, I'd say Morey turn down most of the options

Thabeet: Huge option and 99.9% unlikely to be worth it
    Flynn: Lesser option but still 99.9% unlikely to be worth it
    Hill: If the Rockets think Gasol or Nene's in play, or feel Dwight Howard's in play next year, zero chance at picking him up. Otherwise, I still doubt it after drafting Patterson and Donatas
    TWill: Smallest of the options so the smallest risk. I think Morey turn down the option if he believes in the 2012 FA market. Otherwise probably keep him. Not only because he was not given a chance last year, but that he's the easiest to trade away if the Rockets need capspace next year.

So yes, the Rockets will have to make some quick decisions, but they certainly should be able to do so well.

1 person likes this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

lol, they arent going to extend anyone who is a RFA.

6. gah

gah Member

They are not doing it, it's not like those guys are the Landry mistake waiting to happen again, not when we can be players next summer.

7. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Hope no contract is extended, none of them have shown they are worth a damn thing. Hill might be the only one but he's too inconsistent and lacks effort, much like Williams.

8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Thank you... Theyr'e all on their rookie contracts, and we will be the best judges of how much theyre needed and what type of money they deserve... I dont care how good any of their seasons are, they arent going to fetch anything more than 3 mil a year(unless we have a MIP on our hands). Landry makes 3 mil a year, if any of them do turn into studs (this is supposed to be their 3rd year), give them the money you mightve gambled on another 09 draftee.. We just need this season to start already..

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not a big deal. Let them all go.

1 person likes this.
  10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

No to Thabeet, the other 3 yes, if for no other reason, 3m or so isn't that much to get their contract rights for the next 4 years, whereas Thabeet really really isn't worth $6m

11. Aleron

Um, the only RFA we have is Dragic isn't it?

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While you are probably right that the Rockets won't exercise any of the options on the 2009 lottery picks, please note that (at least under the prior CBA, which I fully anticipate will carry over to the new CBA) if a first round pick's third- or fourth-year option is not picked up, the player becomes an UNRESTRICTED free agent the following offseason.

Again, I don't see any of those four players' unrestricted free agent status as a major deterrent to not picking up his option. But I thought you'd at least want to know one of the consequences of not doing so.

P.S. Amazingly, Feigen forgot to mention that Monday would have also been the deadline for the Rockets to exercise their third-year option on Patrick Patterson, who is currently slotted to make just under $2.1M in 2012-13. Unlike the others, picking up this option is a complete no-brainer for the Rockets. Funny that he didn't bring that up.

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Thabeet's option is $6.5M and the Players union thinks there's something wrong with the rookie contract structure? For every underpaid player there are 2 overpaid ones.

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

No one puts owners under the gun to select those busts. If you do your homework your player is likely to pan out. Plenty of people thought Thabeet would be a bust yet the Grizzlies still picked him #2. That's stupid management. The rookie contract structure is fine, stop selecting crappy players and it's not a problem.

1 person likes this.
  15. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Agreed. Conversely, the sides have discussed a "bonus pool" from which guys on rookie deals who seriously outperform those deals (i.e., Derrick Rose) can get additional compensation. Depending on how that affects the team's cap, I'd perhaps be in favor of that idea.

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

But if we don't extend them, we won't have bad contracts or young talent to make that big trade for a superstar...

Quoted for truth.

17. rockets06

rockets06 Member

Our only RFA next year is Lee and Dragic is unrestricted. But I hope they don't pick up the options on any of them except Hill.

18. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Hence, Morey may need to make his move (trade-wise) by Feb 2012 or perhaps be left having to make his move primarily in free agency after that.

Technically, if the Rockets opted not to pick up Budinger's option, then Chase would also be a RFA. While I think that would be highly unlikely, perhaps they explore that option to get Chase on a better long-term deal than if he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2013.

Still, I highly doubt his very cheap option isn't picked up.

19. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

They could go crazy and renew nobody and go for it all in 2012 free agency. It would end up badly with Rockets throwing out 2 second tier stars and being not good enough to make it out of the first round again. It would be another "win now" disaster and lousy draft positions for years.

Rockets should just renew them all for 2012. If they suck in 2012, we will just have a better 2013 draft.

20. Aleron

There is no option for 2nd round draft picks (the 4th year team option only applies to first round draft picks, of course this might all change in 2 weeks time), they become rfa's after 3 years (hence why Dragic is an RFA this season, whenever the lockout ends and Chase is next year)