1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron:Mutombo says he's headed here as backup, mentor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by B-ball freak, Sep 6, 2004.

1. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/2781648

Mutombo says he's headed here as backup, mentor
    By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA - In the land where diamonds are a relative bargain, the Rockets' attempt to mine an old-fashioned gem may have come up with a glitter.

"It's done," said Dikembe Mutombo. "I'm coming."

The 38-year-old former NBA All-Star confirmed that he has agreed to a trade with the Chicago Bulls that will bring him to Houston in exchange for Eric Piatkowski, Adrian Griffin and Mike Wilks. The Rockets will pick up the majority, if not all, of the money that is remaining on Griffin's contract.

The 7-2 Mutombo, currently attending the NBA's Basketball Without Borders-Africa outreach program, said he is excited about the prospect of joining Yao Ming on the front line in Houston.

"It is where I have wanted to be all along," Mutombo said Monday night. "I told them a long time ago that it was my wish, and I'm so happy that it was granted.

"I have already talked to (Rockets assistant coach) Patrick (Ewing) and several others, and I can't wait to get there."

Mutombo, a 15-year NBA veteran who had stops in Denver, Atlanta, Philadelphia, New Jersey and New York, was obtained by the Bulls in a deal for guard Jamal Crawford but said he never wanted to remain in Chicago. He has averaged 11.7 points and 11.7 rebounds since becoming a first -round draft choice out of Georgetown in 1989.

What Mutombo will bring to the Rockets is a veteran who can spell Yao as backup center and provide the team with a shot-blocking presence. He ranked 14th in the NBA in blocked shots per game last season.

"I think it is a perfect fit for me in Houston, to play alongside Yao Ming," Mutombo said. "I think we can have some kind of club."

Mutombo said he agreed to the terms of the sign-and-trade deal on Friday, but his travels through Africa -- which included a stop in Kinshasha, Congo, to monitor the progress of the hospital he is building in his native land -- have kept him out of the NBA loop.

"I've never had a problem, never had a question that I wanted to play in Houston this season,"Mutombo said. "It was first on my list. Any why not?

"Look at the potential with Yao Ming and (Tracy) McGrady and Jim Jackson. That is a very impressive start, and I think it is a team that is ready to take off.

"I am just happy to be going to a place where I feel I can contribute and make an impact. I'm ready to play whatever minutes they want. I'm ready to help Yao Ming, to teach him whatever I can and whatever he wants to learn.

"Can you imagine what it would be like to have me and Yao on the court at the same time? Now you're talking about a real Twin Towers lineup. I am so excited."

fran.blinebury@chron.com

2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

:confused:

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

"I think it is a perfect fit for me in Houston, to play alongside Yao Ming," Mutombo said. "I think we can have some kind of club."

"Can you imagine what it would be like to have me and Yao on the court at the same time? Now you're talking about a real Twin Towers lineup. I am so excited."

Let's hope someone cues him in that he's the backup center and not the starting power forward...

4. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I think he meant pregame warmups ;)

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I think you guys are looking into his comments a little bit too much. Earlier in the article he mentions how he is ready to "play whatever minutes they want."

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You can guarantee there will be some time during the season where Yao and Dikembe are on the court at the same time. Pair that with T-Mac, JJ and Sura at the point and you have an awesomely large, very athletic lineup. Heck, there are hundreds of potential line-ups and something about the Yao / Dikembe combo intrigues me.

7. FranchiseBoi86

Um...I don't think Yao and Mutombo will be on the court at the same time.

8. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Yes, disaster. Slowest frontcourt in NBA history. :D

9. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

dude you guys read into his comments way too deeply. I think he knows that he's no power forward. Coming into houston he knows he's going to be backup and not starter.

10. Charvo

Charvo Member

Teams that predominantly play half-court with strong interior scoring will be the teams that the Rockets can play Dikembe and Yao to start the game.

1. Blazers
    2. Spurs
    3. Heat
    4. Pacers
    5. maybe the Suns

11. MONON

MONON Member

Finally someone seems excited about coming to Houston to play basketball!! I began to wonder after the 1st month or so of free agencywhen noone signed with the Rockets.

12. JayZ750

I disagree. JVG is a defensive minded coach first. Yao + Mutombo could allow the perimeter defenders to be super agressive while ensuring a solid frontcourt defense. It would be a slow frontcourt, but have its advantages as well.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

No way JVG does the twin towers thing.

14. user

user Member

15. hpscc

hpscc Member

While I certainly think that Mutombo will play the majority of his minutes coming off the bench as Yao's backup, I also am pretty certain that Yao and Deke will be on the court together occasionally, simply because matchups will make it favorable to do so.

16. user

user Member

Maybe he was misled because last season, our backup center also started at the PF position.

17. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Who wants to sex the Doc Rocket - I can't believe Doc Rocket is actually Deke. :eek: :eek:

:D

18. JayZ750

You gurantee that Yao and Dikembe won't be on the court at the same time? I'm just saying that (a) it will eventually happen, whether by design or by force, and (b) if it works the first time or two, JVG will definitely try and see if it successful otherwise.

19. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

now fricking way Yao and Mutumbo will be on the floor together, i don't want T-Mac on the floor with Mutumbo either..,... we really don't want Yao or TMac tripping over Mutumbo and his equipment

[​IMG]

20. JayZ750

EXACTLY. Dikembe provides a very good backup presence, but he also provides the opportunities to exploit certain match-ups.