1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Morey hope to atleast get a starting center by trade deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ramathorn006, Feb 10, 2011.

1. wadero

wadero Member

I say trade Lee to Chicago for a 1st rd pick, then trade brooks and whatever to Memphis for Thabeet and Mayo and call it a day. Young Center to grom ( call Hakeem and Beg him to Train him) and a young 2 guard to put behind Martin.

2. avb

avb Member

:grin:
    True - Brooks is sucking quite a bit this year. But that doesn't change my opinion of Morey so far. I do, however, hope he pulls something off by the trade deadline and makes me eat crow.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Severely doubt the Kings give up on Cousins just yet no matter how lop-sided that trade might be. Wouldn't rule out Morey making offers to the Kings for him, but Im sure its going on deft ears.

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

I'm so sick of pessimistic fans like you. Last season, everyone was praising morey for all the trades he pulled off (lee, martin, hill, williams, knicks picks). Now everyone is b****ing and whining that he's no good or that he's overrated.

Ariza is garbage!! Shows how much you know about basketball when you consider piece of trash ariza to be better than lee. In case you didnt know, Ariza was signed to a disgusting contract compared to his production, and lee does everything ariza does and better for a much smaller contract!

Make no mistake about it, this team was built around Yao, and when you're best player is injured, the team will lose. No team can be contenders without their best player, its just a fact. It is unfair to criticize morey for his track record when our best player is hurt. You cant determine or predict injuries, so to say that Morey sucks or is not a good GM, makes you look like any idiot.

As fans, we should be pretty happy to have arguably the best GM in the NBA. Because it could be much worse and have a sucky GM like the pacers, cavs, clippers. Personally, i'm just gonna laugh the next time morey makes a big move because all the haters (like you) are gonna be slobbing all over his knob again.

1 person likes this.
  5. oddjob142

oddjob142 Member

YEA, what he said...

6. avb

avb Member

All that noise just to call me a hater and tell me I don't know basketball? I even said I didn't like Ariza, but as far as the trade is concerned my point stands. Ariza played more minutes and was a bigger factor for the team than Courtney Lee so far this season.

Talk basketball instead of attacking other people just because we don't worship Morey.

1 person likes this.
  7. mario_v

mario_v Member

First of all, Ariza cannot create his offense (we all know too well), overrated defender, horrible teammate, *******, douche, all while being paid an absurd amount of money. Lee can create his own shot and plays really good defense, and his still on his rookie contract. Sure he doesnt play starters minutes like ariza, but thats mainly due because martin plays the majority of minutes at shooting guard.

Also, I dont' worship morey, I just think many fans take him for granted and act like spoiled little brats criticising his moves, and are not second guessing all of his trades now that we arent winning.

8. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

and that money was paid by Morey. I think your evaluation of Ariza is an insult to Morey.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I do think that people are too quick to point the finger at Morey for what's happening this season. But i also think we should have had a backup plan for Yao a long time ago.

On the Ariza trade, i don't see how anyone can call that trade a bad one for Houston. Ariza's production has gone down considerably. He's playing about the same minutes as last year and averaging 4 points less per game, .75 more turnovers a game, 2 less dimes a game, and his 3pt % has gone from 33% to 28%. What else has changed? He's got 3 more years at about $7 million a year. Courtney Lee has 2 more years at an average of $2.75 mil and is averaging more points than Ariza when adjusted for minutes, and shooting a better percentage from 3pt land.

1 person likes this.
  10. mario_v

mario_v Member

The Ariza signing was not Morey's greatest move, but at least he got rid of him during the off season.

11. PeppermintCandy

I support the Lee-Ariza trade, but I think this team right now could use Ariza more than Lee. There would be less of a logjam in the backcourt, maybe opening up minutes to Williams, and our SF spot would be much stronger.

Plus, Ariza/Battier helps cover for Budinger's defensive deficiencies, allowing Adelman to give more minutes to Chase. Lee is a good defender at the 1 and 2, but he can't take on the tough defensive assignments at the 3 spot in place of Budinger.

But in the long term, it was a good trade IMO.

12. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

This needs to be repeated over and over apparently. Morey did a fantastic job of assembling a group of players to benefit and/or benefit from Yao. The plan was to let Adelman find the rotation of players that would provide us the best chance to go for it all. Those extra assets, aka players rotting on the bench, were to be moved this deadline to fill whatever our deepest hole would have been. Without Yao, the plan failed, but to blame Morey is ridiculous.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Thats easier said than done .... Otherwise we wouldnt have had to endure last season with David Andersen or this one with an old Brad Miller.

We all know Morey is working the phones trying to swing a deal for a big , there are a few who should be available and several others who will be Unrestricted FA's in the offseason.

With the way this season has gone , its almost time to pull the plug - not quite there yet but the fat lady is about to sing if they dont make a significant run.
    Rather than spending assets on a big now , it might be a better idea to wait until the offseason and pick up one of the FA's while finding of a wing to replace Battier now.

Battier for all he brings to the team is a poor shooter and does not fit the offense. He misses far too many wide open looks. He also doesnt get to the rim ....
    Many teams dont even bother to guard him which makes it more difficult on the rest of the offense and is a big part of why we see the team go thru these stretches in almost every game where they go thru an extended scoring drought.
    Budinger isnt the answer because he cant defend. This team really needs a two way player at the SF spot.

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

Yes! Thank you, that's all I was trying to say. Everyone praises his moves, followed by posting the infamous picture, but now that we're going through a little bit of a tough time, everyone seems to be having that "What have you done for me lately" mentality.

15. avb

avb Member

I do agree its too early to judge Morey, but on that same note I don't see how people are still calling him a genius. The team has regressed, but the worst part is there's no clear direction on how to rebuild. That's frustrating, and for the foreseeable future we're stuck in mediocrity. I'm rooting for him to pull off a great trade and justify the 'genius' label.

Ariza I was never a big fan of, but his overrated defense is still leagues above Kevin Martin's defense. Martin is better on offence, but not enough to overcome his defensive defiencies. Ariza's numbers have dropped because he was overpaid and took on a larger role than his talent level. Courtney Lee might be a better player, but he plays such a small role for the Rockets to consider that trade a success.

16. Aruba77

Agreed we could use a SF more than a SG right now, but I don't think that a 28% 3pt-shooting, 38% FG-shooting Trevor Ariza is the solution. I think it's fair to say Morey sold high there.

17. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

where do you see the fantastic part when that group of players never have played with Yao?

18. avb

avb Member

Haha I really hate seeing that pic that's why I had to post about it. I would like to see the Rockets become more than a mediocre team before declaring Morey is a genius.

19. thejav

thejav Member

I'll give morey the benefit of the doubt for keeping us some what in the playoff picture..ill give him till the trade deadline to say that he's a genius..if he doesn't deliver then he's also on the chopping block right next to adelman and brooks...

20. Aruba77

I pretty much agree with you.

just for clarification, when i talk about us not having a backup plan for Yao, i'm going all the way back to the Deke days, who we squeezed every ounce of productivity out of, far beyond what should have been considered possible. Then we never replaced him with a viable 5. Don't get me wrong. i'm not saying getting a decent 5 is easy. I'm just saying that it should have been a bigger priority given Yao's injury track record going back a ways. That said, I think Morey has done a good job and I have confidence that he'll get this thing turned around.