1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[chron] Morey clear bottom line is wins

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3768982.html

April 4, 2006, 12:02AM
    Morey clear bottom line is wins
    Despite unique path, goal same for future GM with Rockets

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

As an expert in statistical analysis, Daryl Morey likely had no trouble calculating the number of NBA general managers who had taken his path.

That would be none. Morey will be the first when, after a year as an assistant general manager, he succeeds Carroll Dawson as Rockets general manager, the plan the Rockets made official Monday.

More to the point of his sudden move from three seasons as Celtics senior vice president of operations and information to the Rockets' front office, he also knows how many share the goal he has brought along his unique road to his position.

That would be all 30.

Different as he might be, having gone from a career as a statistical analyst with no coaching, playing or scouting experience to a GM position, he sounded very much like his predecessors and peers.

"At the end of the day, the goal is the same no matter what route you took," Morey said. "I think the general manager, whether he was a scout or coach or took another more traditional road, is trying to get the right players, to get the right mix of players and a coach that can get the most production out of the players he has to create a championship-caliber team.

Decisions tell tale
    "Whatever perspective you bring, the goal is the same. Whether you make the right decisions or not is what separates general managers."

Morey, 32, deferred comment about the current Rockets to Dawson, though when asked about Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy he said, "I would say this: He is a proven winner."

The Rockets' selection of Morey last week stunned many around the NBA. Though Dawson, 68, had been seeking a chance to move from his current position for several seasons, he agreed to a two-year contract extension after last season to allow Rockets owner Leslie Alexander time to select a successor.

"Daryl will be a great addition to our organization," Alexander said. "With the high level of competition in this league, you can never have too much information. If we combine the best information with our basketball people we should be able to make the most informed and best decisions in the NBA. Daryl will be an important part of that process.

"Carroll Dawson ... will continue to be a very useful resource for many years to come."

Dawson did not meet Morey until he had been made Alexander's choice, but said he was looking forward to using Morey's expertise in statistical analysis in player evaluation during his last season.

"We talked a long time about the things he does, combining basketball with what he can do," Dawson said. "It seems to be quite interesting. He's going to be learning next year. It will be more help for me. He'll be getting comfortable. He's got to learn the way we do things — every organization is probably a little different — and we'll be learning from him."

Alexander said last week there will be no confusion about the team's leadership.

"CD is the top guy for the next year," Alexander said. "He's the boss."

But even before he moves into the general manager position, Morey said he can contribute in his own way.

Different perspective
    "I think it can bring an advantage, as long as you respect all that is available in traditional scouting," Morey said of his training and education at Northwestern and MIT. "I'm sure I have different perspective to bring to Carroll Dawson to help make the strongest basketball decisions. I think it's very exciting. I'm sad to leave the Celtics. I've had a unique opportunity to work with Danny Ainge and Wyc Grousbeck (Celtics chairman). I'm excited about joining Carroll Dawson and the Rockets as assistant general manager. I think I bring another perspective to Carroll and his style. We all have a common goal to put together another championship team.

"At the end of the day, you're judged by results on the court. Do you win on the court? We plan to do that."

In that, the Rockets' most unconventional choice did not sound different at all.

2. user

user Member

OK, we now know that he is a genius.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Does that mean CD and JVG have not been clear about this so far? What was the bottom line for them?

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

with CD ready to step down the rockets needed to move foward and keep up with the newest trends of the NBA. that being stats and info. many teams are on the cutting edge of technology and are using it to gather info, keep stats, and make decisions.

with realgm's trade checker actually selling on the NBA market and 82games.com selling stat formulas to teams, a numbers guy is what is needed to keep up with the jones'.

the new breed of GM's and president's of basketball operations will be number guys. these aren't your fathers front office execs who make decisions on gut feelings.

while CD is awesome and i'd love him to stay in controll morey sounds like the kind of guy that we will need to "stay in the game."

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Is there another bottom line in this bussiness? but how?

Man, stating the obvious shows the guy dosnt know shiat about being GM just yet. Hope he will catch on sooner than later.

6. tested911

tested911 Member

Guys I think we have our Man..

His bottom line is Wins people..

Wins ... What were we thinking this whole time. Hell how come I never thought of that...

6 championship banners in a row here we come :)

7. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Hmmm.... what if we went out there and tried to win? It's so crazy, it just might work.

8. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

What do you expect him to say in front of the media? We will lose all the way to the draft next season?

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Classic combination of a newsmaker trying not to make news, and a newsman trying to make it sound like something.

10. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Feigen has been driving me crazy all season. I've gone from a huge Feigen fan to thinking he's the worst beat-writer I can remember in a span of 8 months.

I don't really have a problem with this nothing-of-an-article, if he couldn't get a quote worthy of writing about, he couldn't. It happens.

But that article about JVG's reaction to Morey's hiring just blew my mind. JVG's quotes were diplomatic and Feigen writes "JVG clearly wants to stay in Houston" without getting him to say "I want to be the Rocket's coach next year". Instead he gets a quip about JVG really warming up to the city of Houston. Feigen should have written "JVG's intentions are obvious to me".

We know that Jonathan, glad you and JVG are simpatico, but at least try to get quotes than we can understand without your overall impressions. And the next time you interview Morey at least ask him his general impression of anyone on our roster. I hear Yao and T-Mac are pretty good...

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This guy sounds like JVG, Jr.

There... that should've given half the board a heart attack and the other half a chuckle.

If the bottom line is "wins" then JVG is in trouble, but then JVG often says the same thing. When he adds that JVG is a proven winner, things start getting confusing. When you're that confusing, A) you're too stupid to express yourself well or B) trying to hide something/lying or C) I'm stupid. And it ain't A) or C) pal!!! :D

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

I was thinking he might be Les, Jr. The ages match.

13. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

I COMPLETELY agree...

Feigen is horrible. He adds nothing as an "insider" and his game recaps are atrocious. There's no point in reading him because I come out dumber. McClain works for the same company. He needs to spend a few hours with him and take some damn notes.

His writing itself is horrible but, man, atleast provide fans with valid information and not just waste. I hope they get someone new quick because he covers the Rockets poorly. It's that "quanity for quality" thing--- he figues that just because he has an article per day means he's getting something done. As Bill Walton once said,never mistake activity for achievement.

14. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

i kinda like morey as our assistant GM. JVG and CD are clueless about business because they overused the old knicks. Sure that veterans are good, but our teams aren't going anywhere. This is youngster's sport, we need ppl who can run. :p

15. MykTek

MykTek Member

is it me or does it feel weird that we are bringing someone from the outside into run our org....

i don't ever remember the rockets not having an ex player, someone from houston or someone thats been the org awhile as the gm or headcoach.....

jvg/dawson
    rudyt/dawson
    chaney/patterson?
    fitch/patterson?
    harris/patterson or thomas? i don't go that far back...hehehe....

i really don't know some of these and made guesses....but ya, it's been awhile since we've brought a coach and gm from the outside in.....

16. declan32001

declan32001 Member

It does feel weird, but as franchises are becoming larger corporations the handwriting is on the wall. I don't object to "outsiders" coming in, but right now we have CD who's leaving and I'm left with feeling personally vested in Les. Yuck.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

posted this in another thread

don't mean to derail, but morey was on the morning show yesterday on 610 and that dude was not impressive. I meant to start a thread, but I got busy, and now I've forgotten some of the things that bothered me. one though was he said bill james was the michael jordan of statistical analysis. the guy was straight up revenge of the nerds. carry on.

he just didn't seem to have a lot of knowledge of the game, or more importantly he didn't seem to have a passion for the game. all he talked about was statistical analysis. but that may have been on the hosts more than him.

he also was talking about his time in boston and he said danny ainge was a proven winner. now I know he isn't going to say anything bad about ainge, but something about that bothered me also.

18. rednene

rednene Member

this is a MOST questionable move. Morey is 32! hardly any substantial experience in life/business and no experience in basketball at all! i truly wonder if he ever played a pick-up game. most importantly, will players be able to relate to him? i

have nothing against his training (MIT and Northwestern) but come on, would you ever hire a young gun like this--with hardly any knowledge of the game--to run an NBA organization? true, this is an multi-million dollar business increasingly being driven by numbers (as all major sports); HOWEVER, how can you evaluate talent, chemistry, etc., without having any experience in the game of basketball at any level?

is this the best we could have done, or is it hinting towards the potential selling of this team?

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

My biggest worry is this guy turns out to be a wise bro II. At that position, you dont need the smartest people, who are often arrogant. As you put it, we need a veteran GM that can evaluate talents and make deals.

Hope he can prove my worry is unnecessary.

20. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I agree. These statistical and mathematical geniuses are great numbers/data managers, but great GMs need to be people managers.

Look at the successful GMs that the NBA has --- Dumars, Colangelo, Popvich, Nelson, West... which one of these guys are mathematical genius from Harvard?

I don't know Morey, but from what I've seen, he is the kind of guy that needs to be hired by a GM to do all the works, but not a GM himself. I hope I am wrong... in fact, I hope he turns into Bill Gates.