1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McNair expected to keep Kubiak, hire Phillips

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Dec 30, 2010.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Move to Cowher watch if necessary, thanks.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl...(chron.com+-+Top+Stories)&utm_content=Twitter

2. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Bob McNair may need a protective detail if they don't make the playoffs next year

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Honestly, as much as Kubes drives me crazy, this doesn't bother me. I'd rather have Marvin Lewis but getting a quality DC with a lot of experience is exactly what Kubes should have had all along. Kubes is obviously more focused on the offense than the defense and if your HC is going to do that, you need a high caliber, experienced coach on the defensive side of the ball and not some noob DC who's yet to prove himself.

Now they need to fire Rick Smith for the crap job he's done in the draft and bring in an experienced GM who can bring in some draft talent and sign a high impact FA or two.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I don't like it. I'm not happy about it. If this happens, I guess we'll just have to hope it works. This may very well blow up in McNairs face bigtime, then it might be rebuild all over again. Ugh.

5. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

This is very LOGICAL.

Worst defense in history. Top ten offense with best RB and top WR.

Logic is good but it doesn't take into account the intangibles.

Kubiak is not a good head coach. He is probably one of the best OC right now.

Never underestimate the brilliance of Bob McNair. "Hire Wade Phillips and they will come..." This will get people all excited about the Defense.

One question is, what about Accountability? Kubiak has been hard heading arrogant in hiring DCs and for that matter OCs. Despite his great Offensive skills, why not can the guy who made terrible decision and put your team in the gutter with teams like Detroit?

If the Texans are already the league laughing stock why not add an even more laughable personality? EVERYONE and I mean everyone was laughing and in disbelief of Phillip's lack of leadership and having his team quit on him.

If the Texans dont make the playoffs next year, they would have missed out on a great Head Coach Class. But hey, they can always promote Wade!

6. Raven

Raven Member

How can a man so smart act so dumb? The answer is pride.

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

i'd be ecstatic... if this was 2 years ago

1 person likes this.
  8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

"improve the defense dramatically."

Putting aside the fact that keeping Kubiak is pretty moronic for someone so smart, Phillips will help the defense...no doubt. I can only hope it doesn't stop with Wade, hopefully McNair will let Smith loose and sign some impact FAgents. I also hope(pray) Smith drafts well and doesn't go "safe" this season.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I hope Bush and Gibbs are not the only assistants fired. The whole defensive staff should be gone and so should the special teams coordinator.

10. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

As long as Kubiak is head coach, something will always be the case with this team - fumbles in 09, defense in 10, not finishing games in 09, what is nexT?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It does not matter what they do.
    with Kubiak as head coach . . they will under achieve
    If this Teams goes 11-5 next year
    we will all look at it . . and know it should have been 14-2
    and that Kubiak *****ed off 3 games.

We will overlook and forgive
    [like we do with the offensive deficiencies]
    Because we will get to the playoffs.
    We will get bounced in the 1st round
    We will do this for the next 5~10 yrs.
    and
    folx. . this is the BEST CASE SENARIO

<any injuries will cost another 3~5 games>

Rocket River

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The 2010 Houston Texans: The biggest group of p*****s to ever step foot on an NFL field

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Hooray the defense will improve.

But hey remember how
    -they don't play a full 60 minutes
    -there seems to be a lack of preparation week to week
    -there's game clock management woes
    -there's a lack of sideline motivational leadership
    -they always get penalized at the worst times
    -there's a lack of accountability in the staff and team
    -Rick and Gary draft badly

Those things are still there, and in most cases made worse with Wade at DC.

14. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Well, technically McNair didn't step foot onto a football field

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This.

Rocket River

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wait, so the Texans defensive problems are due to coaching? I personally think Phillips is a good DC. But can you really turn this group of players into something decent? Is it really true that with the right scheme/coach, our defensive players can actually not suck? I just don't see the talent on our defensive side of the ball, regardless of the coach.

17. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Though I'm excited about Bush being gone.....not too excited about Wade. What success has Wade had?

Also with Kube..we still have a coach that is inept at clock management and constantly being outcoached. It wasn't Bush that decided NOT to run Foster on MNF against the Colts. It wasn't Bush that decided NOT to run Foster in OT against the Ravens. And the fact that this team cannot play 60 minutes is not on anyone but the preparation made by the head coach. I don't think Kube is a good motivator.

Also....I can't trust the talent evaluation made by this team. The terrible draft picks for years is on Kube and Smith. What is going to change?

How can they be suprised in Foster when they watch him in practice? They wasted a 2nd round pick on Tate when they had the NFL's BEST running back in their camp. People keep dropping the ball in that regard... and it wasn't Frank Bush.

I expect nothing more than the same next season. I will until Kubiak and Smith are gone.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm, not talking about McNair (although he certainly is a p***y)

the coaching combination of Phillips and Kubiak is going to full the locker room with a bunch of dont give a ****, weak, players

19. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I just don't understand how Mcnair can do this..

The only way I can put my feelings into words are...

It's like being continually kicked in the nuts. :eek:

20. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

What a great father Bum Phillips is