1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: McHale says he missed being in the fight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Jun 1, 2011.

1. anchel

anchel Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7590897.html#ixzz1O4HuKGwO

2. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

McHale said he was determined, however, to upgrade the Rockets defense.

"We need to get better defensively," McHale said. "Look at the Finals. It's really about defense and defensive accountability. Trying to outscore people in this league doesn't work. You have to maintain defensive integrity."

This sounds like a great plan. I hope he really does keep Adelmans offense or at least pieces of it.

#2 Pete Chilcutt, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  3. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Lol @ webber. Playing for Rick and all.

4. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

for those who can only read text when bolded..

I do recall him making a clear statement that he had no interest in coaching, only managing. Of course, if I were the T-Wolves head coach i'd say the same thing.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

He'll keep Adelman's office except it'll be his office now.:p

6. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Whoops!

Haha long day!

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Haha understood. Just giving you a hard time.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The first few paragraphs in this article say clearly how he missed it, partly due to how his TV experience reminded he what he missed. So, I suppose we should go with what he says now versus a few years ago.

9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

The rockets FO should decide what they want. They fired a Defensive coach in JVG to bring in more offense. Now firing the leagues top offensive coach because they want more D. I loved JVG, but Adelman did have the shortest center in NBA history. Mchale can have all the plans he wants but he needs someone to protect the rim.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but he sounds like a guy who's just winging it.

"Yeah I think I'll keep part of Adelman's offense, but we'll play better defense too." It's that simple, huh?

I'm sure he knows how to run that offense perfectly. And it doesn't matter that our center is 6'5...we'll just have defensive "integrity."

11. VBG

VBG Member

Look at Mike Brown going away from the triangle.

McHale is being smart. He realizes Adelman's offense is extremely good. Changing the offense woudl be a waste of time and effort and would probably not help the Rockets. He also realizes the Rockets aren't amazing because of defense.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

The Rockets will become amazing at Defense when Chuck Hayes isn't our full-time Center.

13. plates300

plates300 Member

agree 100%. I'm not sure, but I think the Rockets this year were the one team that could put up 100+ points on the Heat defense with ease, so I'd say the offense is about as good as it gets. The defense definitely needs improvement. And if you're McHale, why would you change the offense at all? Implement some kind of defense or defensive scheme and the Rockets would be much better off than last year.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mike Brown doesn't know the triangle. He's applying his own offense.

What does McHale know about Adelman's offense? Next to nothing.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

How much does he really have to know? They gonna be running Adelman's offense out of timeouts or something? :p

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Brown doesn't have his own offense. Kuester designed the Cavs offense. I thought everybody knew, when they saw Kuester drawing the plays. :confused:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2008/12/brown_credits_assistant_kueste.html

[​IMG]

17. Mr. Clutch

My point is that Brown will bring whatever offense his staff knows, whether he actually draws up the plays or not. It would be dumb for Brown to tell his staff to start using something they don't know.

18. Mr. Clutch

You're right, the coach doesn't have to know anything. I guess that's why we hired McHale?

19. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You are right about Brown and McHale. They don't need to know anything about the offense. Their staff will do it. Whether it is Chris Finch and Adelman's motion offense or the Lakers and Kuester's "early" offense.

Brown and McHale know next to nothing on offense. I get your point.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chris Finch does though;) or knows enough to run it. Still also have M&M who probably know it like clockwork. The assistants are going to be doing more of the Xs and Os and "dirty" work when it comes to coaching. Gonna have your HC(McHale), "O coordinator"(Finch?), "D coordinator"(Joerger?), and then whoever else(fills out the coaching staff).