1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McHale: "I have two starting point guards."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KlutchQT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. NYK Fan

NYK Fan Rookie

Ohhh thanks :)

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, this was McHale's quote.

What you said is just the reporter's "interpretation" of the quote. And I don't see what McHale said that was so out of line. Especially given our volatile PF situation.

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I wonder how McHale would feel if Morey said that the Rockets have two head coaches.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yep. Trying out different lineups is not necessarily the same as trying out different STARTING lineups. A "lineup" is just a group of 5 guys.

5. dragonz

dragonz Member

6. MichaelG281713

Barf.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Howard
    DMo
    Parsons
    Harden
    Lin

vs.

Asik
    Jones
    Garcia
    Casspi
    Bev?

Pretty sick.

8. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Mchale has no idea what he's doing.

9. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Wait, so McHale meant his two point guards are both going to start together? Is that what he is saying?

That means he wants to try getting Harden back to his effective Thunder Day, somewhat like Ginobili? (guess not)

That could work well in a basketball sense but Harden's ego and the star system would never let that happen. He is not like Ginobili and McHale isn't like Pop who had won championships.

It seems Lin and Bev play well together though and they said so themselves. (one of them?)

How about small ball if McHale really loves Bev so much?

Bev
    Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Dwight

That is totally possible in the modern era.

Or he just want some drama?

Would mid-early Nash be benched for Bev because of D?
    Would he say publicly we have two starting centers?

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Quickly becoming my favorite poster. Keep living the dream

11. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

It's not that difficult to figure out. It's mchale's way of giving beverley a vote of confidence and doing the opposite with lin, but in a passive aggressive, "i love both guys" duplicitous manner.

As talented as morey is in acquiring player talent, he seems not to have the same ability to make an assessment about who the right coach would be for a championship caliber team.

Take a look at the clippers: even they could figure out a way to get a top tier head coach; why can't houston? Granted, they had to be blackmailed by one of their players into making the right hire, but they did it.

12. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Forget the drama and be open-minded to preseason experimenting.

Personally, for the remaining 2 preseason games, I'd love to see McHale put out a starting line up of Bev/Lin/Harden/Parsons/Dwight against the Spurs.

And then go Bev/Harden/Parsons/Dwight Asik with the Grizzlies.

That said, I love that Lin's coming off the bench vs. the Spurs. We get to see how he fares against one of the best 6th men in the league and Beverley gets to go against Parker, one of the elite, fastest guards. Dwight also gets a rematch with Tim Duncan, but this time he has a sidekick in Asik. And Chandler vs. Kawhi, let's see who's the next all-star SF. Seriously, a win-win for all Rockets' fans!

Of course I'd be pissed if Pop decides to rest TP/TD/Manu. I wonder if McHale might decide to rest Harden also.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Morey ran the numbers.

[​IMG]

14. Defense

Defense Member

15. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Eff it. Play Chandler at 4 and give AB and Asik starter minutes. Lin I think is a better scorer, so he should play off the ball. Beverly should stick their best guard. D12's athleticism makes up for a lot of the size disadvantage. Bump up Garcia and Brewers minutes on nights we have big back courts to contend with.

Side Note. Did y'all see kelvin stampsons halftime interview when they asked him about the twin tower experiment? He was politically correct but I interpreted him as saying "That ***** ain't gone work".

16. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Another side note. Morey can find starting PG's like a mutha! This team has had two starting PG's like 4 out of the past 5 years. But he can't get us a single damn starting PF over 6'7"? IJS. I know he's trying. And I like Caspi. He must be one of those system players. He ain't close to Chandler yet, but give him minutes and we gone have 2 starting 3's by the all star break.

17. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Given how poorly McHale handled player match-ups, minutes, and rotations last season (and during his coaching career), I'm confused as to why anyone thinks it's a good idea for him to think he has "more options" during the regular season.

Also, given how far the team went last season without Dwight, and all their struggles associated with not having a proper training camp, it's frustrating that they are deciding to play mix-and-match with the players the whole time instead of instituting a core (of players and schemes) that they can then build around.

Offense was not an issue last year. You can throw those guys out there and let them play yard ball, and the trio of Harden, Lin, and Parsons can score with the best of them. At one point Harden and Lin were dominating teams with a two-guard pick-and-roll, for crying out loud (it wasn't sustainable, but it speaks to their skills at improvisation and the fundamental basketball offense of generating mismatches). What they need to work on is defense and finding a suitable PF that can help protect the paint and grab rebounds. Neither of those things is accomplished by focusing on this ridiculous merry-go-round of players.

If they want to try a core with Beverley, Lin, Harden, Parsons, and Howard, then that's what they should do. There's a spectrum between forcing a system on players and letting them work with their strengths, and I think right now the coaching philosophy has skewed too far in the latter. They are so "overwhelmed" with their options that they are ignoring the bigger issues with the team. It's like watching a guy choose between two fantastic engines on his car when the brakes don't work.

18. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Interesting how the Spurs and Grizzles both feature some kind of twin towers. So it kinda makes sense to experiment with Dwight and Asik starting.

Small lineup would be interesting!

It's highly doubtful though, that oldies TD and Manu would play much.
    Can't believe! :eek:
    You're dammed right!!! Fetish! :grin:

19. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Spurs. My memory might be off but didn't the Heat render Tiago Splitter almost useless by going small in the Finals? But the Spurs might be better at small ball than us so maybe we don't want Pop to match us ;)

I agree, it'd be fun to see Aski/Howard go up against Duncan/Splitter.

20. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Continuity is very important in building chemistry. Lin will be the starting PG, but Beverly is the better player. It was the same way back when we had Kenny and Sam. Sam was a better PG, but Kenny started the games because the players were more familiar with him.

Its only a matter of time until Beverly starts in the NBA. Whether it happens on this roster or another, is the only question that remains. Personally, I hope we shop Lin and trade him while we still can, package him with Asik and picks to get a decent PF in return. That's the best play for this team at the moment.

1 person likes this.