1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McHale: "I have two starting point guards."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KlutchQT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

when will mchale announce the starters for the regular season?

2. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

I think its pretty much sealed that PB would be starting.

3. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

what about PF?

4. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I was busy and could only watch most of the first half. I didn't find it boring.

5. declan32001

declan32001 Member

What I don't understand is why anyone cares who starts at pg or not. Whoever starts now won't matter a hill-of-beans until there's any sense of whatever rotation McHale eventually settles on.

He knows it, we know it, and I won't mind a slow start until the rotation gets settled. It will take awhile.

I don't think Lin's contract is offensive at all, & I hope Beverley gets seriously paid, but the one thing Morey's proven is that he can always get good pgs.

I really hated the YOF crap here, but the LOF stuff has driven me away from this forum.

I wouldn't blame McHale if he started our bench against Charlotte, but I do wish he'd come up with starting pf not named Howard. He gets time...

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Probably start with Asik but Casspi will be first off the bench if spacing sucks

7. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

It's obvious , Mchale and staff want Beverley to start. His overall defense has given a reason to bench Lin. And Lin will be lucky to see 25 minutes or so. He should still play aggressively .
    Starting lineup.

Harden
    Howard
    Parson
    Beverley
    ???

8. kastuul

kastuul Member

Like Toney Douglas, Beverley will be traded.

Asik + PB + TJ for LMA

That's why he is a starter.

9. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

What load of crap.Lin is a better offensive player (not by much) but Bev is a better individual and team defender.Even Howard called Beverley our defensive leader.

10. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

No he is the starter because he has been the best performing player at his position in the offseason and fits Harden the best.

11. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Not by much? Lin is a way better offensive player than Beverly. Having said that, I think Beverly would be better off starting though.

12. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Bev a better shooter then Lin by a good margin but lin is a better passer and at getting to the rim. He isn't all that much better.

13. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Er, no. Lin has been the best performing player at his position in the off-season. Beverley is being pushed to become a starter because he is just simply not good enough to lead the second unit. Lin is superior to him in every facet of being a point guard except for man-to-man defending and ultimately has a much higher ceiling as well.

That's all there is to it.

14. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

How has Lin been out performing Bev in what aspect?. Few more points? playmaking? defense? rebounding? running the team? If you go by plus on the court time

15. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

BTW, if you listen to clutch and his podcast, you can clearly how and why has outperformed lin so far.

16. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Why don't I throw the question back at you and ask how has Beverley been outperforming Lin in what aspect?

17. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

You're partially right. Except, no, he hasn't been performing better than Lin. Bev's defense is great and he's a better man to man defender then Lin, but Lin has also been playing really good defense. On offense, Lin is penetrating and creating for others while facing more pressure on defense whereas Bev gets a lot of his points from spot ups. Granted, he's knocking them down, but Lin is clearly superior on offense.

You may be right about the fit. If Bev can continue to knock down his shots it'll be really good. And Lin being the spark off the bench would be great too. But Lin being 6th man isn't because Bev is better, but clearly about fit.

18. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Shooting better, he has a better plus ratio then what Lin has when he started and I would say we have had more time in the lead with him starting as clutch pointed out. Defensively we've had a better plus ratio with him to.

19. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Lin is a better playmaker, but he is not a better fit. Also, Beverley actually now has developed that floater and a few other shots. He isn't as reliant on the catch and shoot like before.

20. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Before I forget, in short, our starters play better with Bev.