1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McHale: "I have two starting point guards."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KlutchQT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ERC

ERC Member

Proven in the playoffs? :confused: Look, I like Beverley & his high-octane energy too (who doesn't?), but with all due respect he played against Reggie Jackson for the most part in the playoffs. And if you think Lin's and Beverley's games are "more or less the same," you probably haven't been watching the games. The two each brings different strength, and I think we are fortunate to have both on the team.

2. langal

langal Contributing Member

What I meant was that you can't just use dollars-per-pound as an accurate assessment of a player's ability or worth.

For example, just because Harden makes 25x what Parsons makes, you can't say that Harden is a rip-off because he is nowhere close to 25x the player that Parsons is.

Especially considering that Bev was found off the scrapheap and signed for cheap. He is also being paid waaaaaaaay below market value. That does not mean that everyone else is a rip-off.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

point is Lin and Beverly are equally good PGs for the rockets

but Harden and Parsons? not on the same level at all

4. bws

bws Member

This is what I mean by Lin is undervalued. Beverley is a terrific player but Lin is a better overall player and a borderline star player with some development. So is Parsons. Harden is a superstar player, a top player now.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

who is a better defender? beverly or lin?

6. jackycool

jackycool Member

Lin is better in team defense while Beverley is better in man to man defense.

1 person likes this.
  7. bws

bws Member

Beverley. But who had more impact on the Rockets in 82 games? Beverley's best offensive game is what? Say 20-25 points, 4 steals, 8 rebounds, 6-8 assists. Lin's best offensive game is 35-40 points, 4 steals 6-7 rebounds 11-12 assists. Lin was big in some of the wins last season for the Rockets, especially when Harden was diminished. Bev. plays a disruptive style of D, Lin plays decent help D and both get steals. Both hustle. But Lin's body of work, when he's going well, is much more impressive. And I think from an intangible, leadership standpoint, Lin impacts his team mates more and can raise their game level better than Bev. I don't see them as equal PGs for Houston. As for defense, Harden is one of the worse defensive guards on the team yet he is by far the best guard. So defense is part of the game, not everything.

1 person likes this.
  8. langal

langal Contributing Member

No the point is using "dollars-per-pound" is not really a good way for comparing a player's "worth". A lot of rookies and first-timers will be extremely underpaid.

Asik is getting around 10X more than Parsons. One can argue that they have equivalent market value. Is Asik therefore a rip-off?

Lebron makes around the same as other max contract guys. Are the other max contract guys rip offs?

9. hbomb

hbomb Member

Bev to lock in starting position.

Works well to pair up with Harden as well, Harden isn't the best defender. We need a tight man on man defender.

Lin's "team defense"... if you can call it that isn't needed with Dwight/Asik protecting the rim.

1 person likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are a flamingdts! Sorry, didn't mean to cuss you out but .....

1 person likes this.
  11. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Asik is worth way more than Parsons. Top 5 Center is tough to find.

12. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

You make it sound like Lin doesn't play good defense. That's not the case he does play good D just not the disruptive style that Beverley does.

13. dje243

dje243 Member

McHale has two starter quality PG's. He just has one that fits better with the starting line-up and one that fits better with the bench. That's the difference.

14. dje243

dje243 Member

I think that Lin is the better PG and also has a much higher ceiling than bev due to his offense. But ultimately, Beverley is more consistent and he brings much needed elite perimeter defense. On offense he can knock down the open 3 and make the hustle plays. If we needed someone to be a 2nd scorer Lin would start no question. But ultimately... defense wins championships. I love Lin, and he will help the team big time no matter where he plays.

15. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Quit quoting the hobbit. I've already put it on ignore.

16. conquistador#11

it doesn't matter when both lin and bev are picked apart when trying to play pnr defense, which is the staple play for the elite pgs. bev isn't going to outscore anyone nor be the play maker, so the best pg is indeed lin. you could have placed toy canon as a starter against the spurs game last night and he would have finished the game with a 14 + in the +/-, which makes for the argument that lin is best suited to come off the bench. agreed.

But I would want the same eye test to apply for bev, when parker nails 3 shots in a row, I'd expect Lin to come in the game.

17. dje243

dje243 Member

Good luck on that pnr with Dwight and Asik patrolling the paint.

18. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

So, serious question here... with Bev starting the final 2 games (i.e. no alternating) does it mean that Morey has settled on Bev as his starting PG?

I really hope so.

19. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

*McHale (lol)

20. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Don't you know, the eye test only applies to Lin.

One of the things I was critical about McHale from last season was player management, including how he would sub Lin out after he made a mistake. Trust me, I'm far from a Lin fan but I always thought he gave Lin a shorter leash then any of the starters or even Lin's backups. I do think Lin will get better and I hope that McHale lengthens the leash this season and allows him to stay in the game to learn off and/or make up for his mistakes.