1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] McGrady: Rockets' success hinges on team, not him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TeamUSA, Apr 16, 2008.

1. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5704326.html

The 20million dollar man has bailed himself out already. EXCUSES EXCUSES EXCUSES. Mentally defeated alreadyl.

If he what he means by this is that he won't be taking heat check shots as most of the diehard fans here call that, then we can win.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It always has, but for the first time, I think Tmac realizes it himself.

DD

3. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

I hope he also distributes the ball faster and more often to let the rest of the team share the responsibility with him.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i hope that is sarcasm because he is correct in saying that the man has done all one person can do in the playoffs but if the other guys dont step up and score than the team is doomed for sure. the jazz just started to double tmac and send doubles to yao and dared the other guys to beat us and no one stepped up every role player played siginificantly poorer in the playoffs than in the regular season.

they'll be fine i think tracy will play amazingly hard in the playoffs like he always does i hope, luther, scola, landry, shane, bobby, rafer (when he plays),ab, novak, deke, hayes, all put in siginificant contributions of their own

did we even have another guy averaging double figures outside of yao and tmac last 2 playoff series?

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

His motivation for saying "It's on me" aside, this is a great explanation of the difference between last year and the way it is this year (at least the way it is "supposed" to be). If that's not a clear indication that the Rockets had the wrong strengths/weaknesses at their point guard under JVG's scheme, nothing ever will be.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I can't figure out if you're agreeing with his thoughts or disagreeing.

7. poprocks

poprocks Member

How many of you guys think the "It's on me" statement came directly from Jeff Van Gundy who probably told T-Mac that it is on him?? All we ever saw was give the ball to T-Mac, let him create and score or throw the ball down to Yao and kick it back out to a perimeter player if all else fails for a 3 pt shot. Rarely if ever did we see Alston/Head/Spanoulis/Battier take the ball strong to the hoop did we?

This year I think Adleman is emphasizing team team team more than ever. A good and nice change.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think that happened. Personally I think T-Mac was very confident in last year's team -- he was confident they would advance. When Stephen A. gave him flack for the first round thing, he gave team reasons for the past but said this year it was on him. He pushed all his chips in and lost.

Frankly, the Rockets should have advanced. If you look at how the Rockets performed offensively, it was way below their par for the season. T-Mac, Yao, Rafer, Luther, Juwan ... all of them shot lower percentages in the series than they did in the regular season.

9. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I think it was pretty clear that we had very poor matchups at power forward and center (Boozer and MO)- that magnified our disadvantage at point guard.

TMac wasn't able to overcome MO shooting the three and Boozer getting in the paint and Rafer being overmatched by Williams.... add to the fact that our bench was weaker last season and quite frankly we just didn't shoot the 3 well enough to win the series.

10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

This is the prototypical "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. He drew hate for saying it was "on him" last year, and now he draws it for saying it's "on the team".

Anyways, McGrady is spot on in this one... but we will still probably need a big showing from him.

11. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I am THRILLED with these statements ... not feeling he's giving himself an out.

It was when he found the balance of TEAM that we had the streak. That's our only chance to advance in this year's playoffs, without Yao.

The whole team has to step up, not just McGrady, and if they watch TMac, it will NOT happen.

I LOVE what I just read. Adelman is saying it too, and that's to HIS credit, for molding these players into a team.

Don't twist TMac's words into a copout!

I'm proud of TMac for being able to pull back his game so everyone feels they are involved in every play. That's our ONLY chance this year ... team basketball.

12. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Due partly to assistant coache's offense or lack thereof. This team was dead last in offensive efficiency and the lameduck head coach never made adjustments.

Didn't even play Mutombo all the Rockets needed were a couple of rebounds to keep the lead they had.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think we have a better chance if he is 2-10 he needs to stop shooting the ball play some D and hustle. When he has a bad shooting night he stops playing D.

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

When you quoted T-Mac I went up and down the thread looking for his post. LOL!

You are correct though.

15. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

People were in an outrage when he said "its on me". They called him Me-Mac and said he was selfish and needed to play more team ball to win. Now that he has a better offensive coach, and the houston rockets are playing team ball, he says "its on the team" and the same people are still in an outrage.

We get it. You don't like Tmac and there is nothing he can do to get you to like him. I, personally, love the guy and can't wait for the playoffs to start.

16. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Did I use the "IF" incorrectly?

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Tmac could have just quit a month ago and foregone what most expect will be his 8th straight playoff series loss coming up.

So he has to be commended for pushing this depleted team to the postseason and still competing for just a chance to get to the second round. I have a hard time believing he will not give 100% now after getting to this point.

18. Champ Caliber

Champ Caliber Member

My only worry with that is he doesn't get to passive(Boston game) and play not to lose. Be aggressive and play to win. We need him going balls out everytime he gets the rock. We need angry-Mac out there all the time. Don't settle for jumpshots, and please take the heat-checks in transition, they're rarely successful in a half-court set.

19. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Jeff said that it depends on tmac wherever he wants to take the team.

20. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I agree without Yao we won't be favored to win a playoff serie with anybody in the West.

T-Mac is a superstar, the leader so of course people expect most from him , but with Yao being out for a season the WHOLE team has to step up in the playoffs. As I said, Tracy will be the most important person but this year we can win it as a TEAM.

Even last year we should have played as a team but we didn't. Yao or without Yao, basketball is a team sport and especially in playoffs when everybody gives you 110% you have to win as a TEAM, and you have to have balanced scoring, good team defense etc.