1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McGrady returns to role of scoring machine

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vtkp99, Feb 27, 2005.

1. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

McGrady returns to role of scoring machine - MEGAN MANFULL

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/rox/3059043

Feb. 26, 2005, 10:46PM

Turning point for Rockets
    Addition of James, Norris means McGrady returns to role of scoring machine
    By MEGAN MANFULL

Tracy McGrady likes the ball in his hands. He will never say otherwise. But he has been around the game long enough to know he doesn't need the ball all of the time.

That's why McGrady was so pleased with the Thursday trade that brought point guard Mike James in to replace the injured Bob Sura. Instead of having to help run the offense so much, McGrady can focus on his main job: scoring.

"It helps to have a point guard to initiate our offense, so I don't have to do that as much as I did the past two games," McGrady said. "It helps me to play off the ball a little bit and it helps our offense because defenses can't key on me when I'm off the ball. It will help the team."

McGrady struggled with his shot the last two games, when Rod Strickland, who has since been released, started in place of Sura.

While trying to help run the point, McGrady hit only 14 of 39 field-goal attempts in those games.

McGrady hopes that changes today against the Utah Jazz, when James makes his Rockets debut.

McGrady's moments of running the point are hardly over, though. Because backup point guard Moochie Norris had only one day of practice since being traded from New York, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said McGrady will handle most of the point guard duties when James rests today.

Point limits McGrady
    There's a disadvantage for the Rockets when McGrady is forced to bring the ball up the court.

"When Tracy is bringing (the ball up), it's not the greatest thing in the world," Jon Barry said, "because now the defenses see Tracy coming and they can get set and they all know exactly where they need to be.

"The best time to move a defense is to bring Tracy from one side to another. When he's bringing it down the floor the defense is set, and we haven't gotten a whole lot out of our pick-and-roll game at the top because teams have been ready for it."

But the Rockets have no other options right now.

Rookie point guard Andre Barrett was placed on the injured list and McGrady is the only starter capable of running the offense. Barry has tried but is uncomfortable doing so.

"I did a poor job of getting us in our spots," Barry said. "That's just something I'm not used to doing.

"I think I have a point guard mentality as far as pass the ball, but to be able to run a club is tough. ... So we're hoping Mike can do that."

The Rockets have used seven point guards this season. James will be their fifth starter at the spot.

A return to normalcy
    McGrady, along with the rest of the team, has really only looked comfortable with Sura as the starter. In the Rockets' 36 games with Sura starting, McGrady averaged 27.7 points per game. In the other 16 games this season, he averaged 20.1.

McGrady, who missed three games with injuries, said there are attributes a point guard like Sura possesses that make life easier on his teammates.

"A guy that has the mental toughness, one who understands how to play the game, is a great floor general out there, can shoot the ball and plays with great confidence," McGrady said.

McGrady anticipates James, 29, will bring those qualities once he gets familiar with the offense and his new teammates.

Norris, 31, is familiar with Van Gundy's system and will likely reacquaint himself with it quickly, giving McGrady more of a chance to play off the ball.

McGrady isn't using the extra duties as an excuse for his offensive struggles, though.

Regardless of how much he plays the point, he plans to try to find his shot again.

"I've been too cautious," he said. "Sometimes, it'll hurt us. I need to be more effective and stop being so passive like I've been in the last two games."

megan.manfull@chron.com

2. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Finally. i said this before, it looked like Tracy had Reverted back to his early season form. he looked Hesitent and passive on almost every possesion. he was forcing things. i hope this means now that he will start taking to the rack and hence alot of free throws or dunks. when he starts playing passive he settles for far too many Mid-range jumpshots. he needs to start going bak to his strengths. Attack the damn RIM tracy!

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

It's unfortunate that Barry (and I assume Wesley also) are not comfortable playing the point. We don't have as much real depth at the point as I thought we did.

4. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Wesley played point early in his career but when we get Bobby Sura back (who plays point pretty well) then we put James on the bench and we should be set

Sura, James, Moochie
    Wesley, Barry, T-Mac

5. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Hopefully with the Addition of James, thats a thing of the past.:)

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I think in the season of 97-98 Wesley was the 3rd Highest Assist getter in the league. he was playing for the Celetics then!

7. McMingDynasty

McMingDynasty Contributing Member

I didn't watch T-Mac when he was in Orlando... I just got a question for the ones that followed him when he was in Orlando.

Is this the way he always played? (I always thought he was more aggressive, like Kobe) T-Mac played 52 games and attempted 377 FT's, while Kobe only played in 39 games yet he's attempted 435 already. T-Mac and LeBron are the only 2 in top 5 scoring that has less than 350 FT Attempts. Perhaps he doesn't get to drive as much in JVG's system? I don't know, but I'd like to find out. Any ideas?

Go Rockets!

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McGrady FTA/game, games, mpg

00/01: 7.62, 77 games, 40.1 mpg
    01/02: 7.30, 76 games, 38.3 mpg
    02/03: 9.68, 75 games, 39.4 mpg
    03/04: 7.46, 67 games, 39.9 mpg
    04/05: 7.25, 52 games, 42.1 mpg

So yes, it is McGrady's lowest FTA per game since he started receiving major minutes. Outside 02/03, not coincidentally the year he averaged 32 a game with 45+% FG% and nearly 39% 3P%, it's very much in line with what he has always done.

For his career, McGrady averages 8.80 FTA/48 mins. This year, he's averaging 8.26 FTA/48 mins.

An extra 1/2 FT a game would basically come down to drawing 1 more shooting foul every 4th game. Considering also that McGrady averaged 22.67 FGA in Orlando (4 years combined) vs. 21.07 here in Houston, McGrady's averaging 1/2 an assist better than his career best, and that we're probably below league average in terms of possessions a game, I'd hardly consider it out of the ordinary.

9. McMingDynasty

McMingDynasty Contributing Member

Thanks NIKEstrad. Like I was saying earlier, I never followed him when he was in Orlando so I had little idea of how he played besides ESPN highlights. :D When we got him, I was excited but I always wondered myself "man he takes so many jump shots, GO IN!"

Go Rockets!