1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McGrady practices with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by llRainmanll, Oct 4, 2009.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I think the regulars who play on Saturday's clutchfans game can attest to the fact that I'm a good shooter.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I played ball in high school as well as every where else when I was not in school. I can tell you nobody; not coaches, not players and not even PTA moms thought doing a strenuous weight training session right before playing was good for your game.

This is where you get away from theory and actually apply it. Your theory that because you don't use much upper body strength to shoot you can drastically fatigue your upper body with little or no effect on your shot does not pan out in real life.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

people do that in real life too. and that's the scary part.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

They don't understand the impact of heavy lifting b/c they don't lift heavy.

5. amaru

amaru Member

Lifting heavy does screw up your shot.

I've tried it, and the first 10 or so are horrible.

After a while, it starts to return.

6. t_mac1

i'm a shooter. that's all i usually do when i play pick-up games. i take a ton of shots every other day right after i work out (however, i don't do it IMMEDIATELY like wekko claims, i stretch for like 10 minutes before i start shooting/playing pick-up games). most people at the gym do it all the time (work out then ball).

nobody balls then workout (cuz then you won't have the energy to work out).

regardless of that point, the point being discussed is: is arm strength crucial shooting the ball? from my experience, it's down the list.

as a basketball player, the exercises i emphasize the most are squats (and general leg work) and overall core. legs are key and i think everyone knows that. the overall core provides the balance so your shot remains consistent (if your stroke is right).

i don't bench that much nor do i work out my arms too much. i probably bench the least (115lbs) of anybody on my IM team and yet i'm the go-to shooter.

and i end this argument with the last example. jason kidd and steve nash. you can check the difference yourself.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? Pardon me for saying this but are you even in the same discussion? ^What is up with your response? Wekko and Tmac/Leeb are arguing whether arm strength is important in shooting a ball or not. Wecko is insisting arm strength is important and brings up lifting weights as an example. What's even funnier is that all of this started by him claiming arm strength affects your hang time.

How does that fit into lifting weights affecting your shot? Everybody knows lifting weights hard before a game will affect your shot.

Anyway bottomline is that the basic shooting style says leg strength and wrists are needed when hitting your shots. You only need to look at Reggie Miller, Kevin D, Kevin Martin etc. to see that you need bulging arms to shoot the ball. In fact look at some of the good shooters in the league and none of them strike you as ripped at all (Kapono, Yi, Bargnani).

Can people rely on their arms when shooting the ball? Of course, people can shoot in different ways and still get the ball in the hoop, just like Chuck Hayes getting 2/2 fts despite having a hitch in his shot. But if you're talking about textbook, black-and-white shooting form, then arm strength is not that relevant. That doesn't mean they are not needed, but they are not that important in the grand scheme of things.

get force from below, keep your elbow tucked, use only one hand to shoot the other to hold the ball in place, make sure your arm is forming a 90 degree angle, follow through with the reaching into a cookie jar motion-basic stuff.

8. t_mac1

hit the head there bro. thanks for clarifying my point.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That's because when u play ball and you're in a training program, u don't lift weights to win a contest, u lift to keep ur strength and muscle mass. You climb the chart and maintain, then u go stretch good and u start close and work your way back. Again, bench press and curls have 0 to do with shooting. Your muscles have to be stretched back out. Jordan was known for lifting before games and it didn't bother him. Maybe you're just not a hoopa' :D.

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Forget "immediately". If you lift heavy, don't expect to shoot normally for a few hours. It's very simple. You're not lifting heavy. Stretching helps, but not to the point that you're anywhere close to fully recovered.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Care to make a friendly wager on that? I'll go to any 24hr gym of your choice (preferably close to the Galleria) and we'll do my normal bench exercise, and we'll lift heavy. To be conservative, it should take between 60 and 90 minutes.

Afterwards, we'll go to the basketball court. If your shooting isn't affected, I'll give you $20. If it is affected, you buy me a diet soda. Hows that sound?

12. t_mac1

this is just blatantly wrong. my teammate does a full body workout everytime we go to the gym before we work out. 4 sets of 185-215, arms/triceps... basically a pretty muscular dude. though he doesn't have the range that i do, his fadeaways/mid post game is fine after 15 minutes of shoot around.

hours? again, that's just blatantly wrong.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

What kind of arm/tricep workout? Nautilus? Free weight? How many reps per set? How many different exercises for bicep and how many for tricep?

14. t_mac1

triceps - 3 sets of skull crushers + 3 sets of triceps pulldowns
    biceps - bicep curls (3 sets of 40 lbs + then one set of 20lbs-though like 20 reps for that) + cable curls (2 sets of 15 reps)

his workout usually lasts 60 minutes.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Earlier, you said "4 sets of 185-215". None of the weights you just described comes close to that.

Any idea on the weights of the skull crushers/tricep pulldowns?

Also, he isnt lifting heavy if he's not increasing weight. For instance, when I do bicep curls, I do 3 sets & 10 reps at 80 lbs, 90 lbs, 100 lbs.

16. t_mac1

that's for CHEST (4 sets of 185-215) from around 12 reps of 185 and end with 6 reps of 215.

skull crushers - 20 lbs on each side building up to 25 lbs
    tricep pulldowns - i dont pay attention but its natural to increase the weight (at least i do)

trust me, he's pretty ripped.

my point is my friends and I have been doing this for a long time: work out then ball. as long as we stretch afterward for awhile, shoot around for 10 minutes before a pick-up game, we're ready to go.

either you're bench pressing 300+ lbs on like 20+ sets, you probably kill your chest/arms so you can't shoot. then props to ya. you're probably like a prime arnold schwarzengger.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

That's it? That may be lifting heavy, but if you're only doing flat bench, then you're not really working out your chest.

When I do chest, I do 4 sets on flat bench (free weights), 4 sets on incline (free weights), 4 sets on flys (nautilus), some pushups, and if i'm feeling pumped, i'll do a few sets on decline too.

I guess its a matter of semantics then. We have different ideas of what a workout is.

Nope, not even close. I love fast food too much, and its been a few months since I benched 300 lbs.

18. WarioMillie

WarioMillie Member

wait, how is that different? i thought the higher you jump, the more hang time you have.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I think your definition applies to football punts. It may also apply to basketball, but the way I learned it, hang time in basketball refers to the amount of time that the player stays at the apex of his jump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5WUOnTxwPw&feature=related

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't know if you think I believe benching and curls will help your shot. I do not. My point is that fatiguing those muscles WILL affect your shooting.

Basketball players weight train so they can have the muscle and strength to defend, rebound etc. Maybe you're just a chucker who hangs out on the perimeter because you don't want to mix it up down low? :D