1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON]McGrady in Darfur

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TracyMcCrazyeye, Sep 30, 2007.

1. TracyMcCrazyeye

glad to see t-mac as more than just a basketball player

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5175640.html

2. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i truly think tracy will be like deke (maybe not as philanthropic). but tracy is showing why he's a great human being.

now just go win dammit.

3. rocketshopeful

whether tracy wins a playoff series or not, he will be admired as a human. In fact, I doubt tracy's focus will be on basketball as much, which is fine, because it will be for a greater cause. Don't get me wrong, I would love tracy to lead us to a championship this year, but Im not expecting anything, from him at least.

4. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

but his mind should be on basketball during the season

5. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

how can u say his focus will not be on basketball "as much". that will be the only thing on his mind until the next offseason.

u don't see people doing these things during the nba season

6. rocketshopeful

I could very well be wrong, but i dont think its far fetched that tracy is viewing basketball less and less like its his entire life, than just a game. When he first came into the league, basketball was his entire life, which is why I think he excelled and was much more dominant early on. As time has passed, hes had some life changing experiences where is approach to the game may not be as serious as it once was. We may be at a disagreement here, but I feel like there have been moments where tracy's play seemed like he was disinterested or his mind was elsewhere.

7. rocketshopeful

sorry, thats prob a separate discussion that shouldnt belong in this thread. My main points, is props to mcgrady. I am a huge fan of his, and will continue to be, especially when I read stories like this.

8. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Please tell me you are joking....

9. pli777

pli777 Member

What's wrong with that? Please tell me you are joking

10. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Oh gee...I don't know...game vs human suffering.....shooting basketball vs shooting people....hundreds of NBA players living it up vs people in Darfur starving.

Listen, I would love for the Rockets to win as much as the next guy but if it comes at a price of another person ignoring Darfur......

But...like rocketshopeful said up there...this is a discussion for another place in the forum.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I am proud of Tracy McGrady. Being an engaged citizen and trying to turn his fame and wealth into a tool to help suffering people is fantastic. Those people who would prefer that he be a robot and focus only on basketball need to step back and look at the bigger picture.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

lets keep it related to the topic for sure (though I can see the WMD&D's aimed at this thread)

My own observation on it;

McGrady is a person who takes things to heart. He's had his own share of unfortunate incidents, whether its deaths in the family or personal problems, that can take his focus away from not just basketball but anything really. He does seem to want whats right for everyone and himself, but he probably doesnt always have the strength and energy necessary for that..And being so private he probably adds additional burden to himself with worries and protecting everyone's good name.

Basically he needed to get his mind out of all that and gain a broader, fresher perspective on life. & learn what the meaning of tragedy is. Besides the way we define it in this country, which most the time can be trivial even at its worst. And he could put mental and physical exhaustion into something that actually DESERVES concern. And good for him and the people of Darfur.

How it relates to basketball and the Rockets...I know what we're thinking, greeaat McGrady's the LAST guy you want taking on more lol (ex: "Its on ME"). His humanitarian effort could help him have better focus, in the sense he feels like a real human being playing the game with renewed appreciation, doing something "for a cause". He could actually play the game for the FUN it is. It could help him...be a better LEADER.

13. pillage

pillage Member

Good for T-Mac. Anyway, if he really cares for the people in Darfur he'll go out, win the MVP and bring a championship for the Rockets. The materialistic west (which I am admittedly a part of) will give more attention to a champion than to some 2nd All-Nba team player.

Tracy, win it for the Rockets fans, win it for the people of Houston, win it so more people will pay attention to the plight of people in Darfur, whatever the reason is, just win!

14. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

Tmac is doing his bit for the society...

there should be more players like him, not less

let me rephrase..there should be more PEOPLE like him

i am proud of him

ask youselves
    Championship ring Vs the easing of human suffering in that area

i would chose the latter every time

15. IMissJVG

IMissJVG Rookie

Which doesn't start till October 30th. Exactly ONE MONTH from now.

16. Astockmarketgod

I think Tmac will benefit from this experience…
    Sure basketball becomes secondary when it comes to his experiences in Sudan…

But Tmac still has to live his life… this will toughen him up mentally…

and I for one think this experience… may give us the type of Tmac we need… to win it all…

17. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

bravo mac

18. Barkley

Barkley Member

I agree. Tracy is a really good human. That article just show it.

The situation in Africa is really sad. I haven't beed there but I heard some strories, saw that in Internet. That's just another world...I so angry when I see that people there don't have anything to eat, drink. That scares me, cause we live in 21st century and peaopel still live in a terrible poverty...

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

absolutely!!!

we're talking genocide here....holocaust stuff.

that we're even having a discussion about the "importance" of basketball in the face of that is ridiculous.

20. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Pre-season starts on the 9th bro.