1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[chron] Mavs wont rest on laurels as Rockets arrive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MrRolo, Jan 16, 2007.

1. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4472791.html

With Rockets coming, Dallas looks Mav-elous
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN

DALLAS — The championship trophy was there that night in Miami. It was just out of reach but so clear in the Mavericks' sights that months later they can close their eyes and see it as if they had looked into the sun too long before turning away.

But it is not so much a taunting reminder of what could have, and probably should have, been with a 2-0 Finals lead and a 13-point cushion with 6½ minutes left in Game 3 as it is a beacon drawing them to what can be theirs.

The Mavericks could not help but be influenced by what happened last June. It could frustrate or drive them, shake them or inspire them. A half-year later, a team that was so close to being the NBA's best is better.

"Yeah, we can talk about that we didn't win," coach Avery Johnson said. "What I tried to do is snap them back in on what we did do. There are a lot of players and coaches that have never experienced the Finals at all. So yeah, you want to win it.

"I always thought it was going to be a positive. Everybody seems to have thought it was about us having a hangover. Why should we have been hung over? We didn't win the Finals, but we won the Western Conference. We did something that had never been done in the history of the Mavericks organization."

• • •

The hangover theory picked up steam when the Mavericks lost this season's first four games. Since then, they have won 31 of 35. They are just the second NBA team (joining the 1971-72 Lakers) to have two double-digit win streaks in the first 31 games of a season.

The Mavs have won twice in San Antonio and beaten Phoenix twice. At 31-8, they have the league's best record.

Yet they returned to their practice court Monday to make corrections, convinced they are not playing well enough, with last season's success and Finals failure to drive them.

Johnson drives the determination, but the culture was established before he succeeded Don Nelson as coach.

"All of our guys are willing workers, but it does start at the top," assistant coach Del Harris said. "I don't want to take anything away from anybody else, but nobody outworks Dirk (Nowitzki). They're all trying to keep pace with him."

Johnson said the Mavs are so driven that "every time I've asked this team to work and I've been in my really weird moods, they've worked. They tolerate me."

More than tolerate Johnson and his demands, his players have responded to them.

"It comes from upstairs," Nowitzki said, nodding toward the coaches' offices above the American Airlines Center practice court. "Avery is really one of the most intense guys I've ever been around. He makes sure we don't get carried away."

• • •

The Mavericks have not always been this way, even since escaping their years as the dregs of the Texas triangle and the ownerships of Donald Carter and Ross Perot Jr.

For all his marketing mastery and willingness to spend lavishly, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban had to grow into his success with the team. He has spent more than most. This season's payroll is at $92.1 million, roughly $30 million more than the other Western Conference contenders. But Cuban said the Mavericks do consider salary in roster decisions, though not for cost, but because of its influence on future management of the roster.

"We've been through the typical ebbs and flows," president and general manager Donn Nelson said. "Mark really wanted to make a splash, on the court (and) in the media. We had our Dennis Rodman moments. We've had some financial freedoms, but it's not like we had not turned down deals because they've been one-sided financially. I'd say we're interested in good basketball players. Some of those guys come with high price tags."

The Mavs have turned their willingness to sign players to lucrative contracts into their balanced roster.

"When Mark took the team over, we thought he was going to clean house," Nelson said. "Our feeling at the time was, 'Wow, he sees what we see.' He stuck with us, and we could finish the job."

• • •

The Mavericks insist they will not finish the job until they can finish the Finals as they could not last season. They watched the Heat celebrate on their court. They have been reminded of how close they were. But rather than forget that disappointment, they use it — and the success that led to it.

"Everything we do is directed for the playoffs," Nowitzki said. "All the film sessions, all the drills are to make us a better team for the playoffs. Obviously, coming short last year in the playoffs motivates us even more. It's a long road. You play 82 games, then start over and play 2½ months more of intense basketball. So we have a long road ahead of us."

But few teams have a better feel for where it could lead.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

God, I want us to beat the Mavericks so bad.

3. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

Fixed :D

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

That's basically the same feeling I got from the article. I'm not getting my hopes up, but with Tracy getting 2 days rest for his back, and JVG getting 2 days worth of preparation time, I'd say I'm more optimistic than I have been in the past about games like this one.

The big question in my mind is "What do we do with Josh Howard?".

5. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Introduce him to Mr. Mutombo's elbows.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

Amen :cool:

7. rocketsmetalspd

I can't wait to see what JVG has come with for the next two games. I just want them to kick Mavs and Suns Ass. I am at work and already I can't to go home to watch the Rockets. :D

8. krayziefl

krayziefl Member

Introduce Dirk to Mr.Mutombo's elbow, because Josh will get up. Dirk will be knocked the .... out. And i dont care about Josh Howard i HATE that Dirk ''not that talented as the media make him'' Nowitzki.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm probably one of the few who doesn't think the next two games are anything special. It's great for the Mavs and Suns they are burning up the league now, but championships aren't won in January. If we lose both games, so what? I'm more concerned about our position in the standings. The Nuggets and Kings games were just as important, IMO. The Spurs started the season off smoking hot but that doesn't help them now and won't when the playoffs start. Late last season, the Spurs played the Mavs and crushed the life out of them in the 2nd half. Bowen frustrated Dirk; it was beautiful. It was very clear the Mavs hadn't caught them yet. So what happens? The Mavs win in the playoffs when it counts.

I'll enjoy these two games like everyone else but the outcome only affects our position in the standings, nothing else. Win or lose, our playoff matchups with either team won't be affected at all, unless we somehow pass them in the standings. Very unlikely.

10. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be happy with a split of the next 2 ames.

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

You got my blessing :rolleyes:

12. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Perhaps not THAT good, but he's DAMN good. Depends on how much you think the media is hyping him up. But a 7 footer that can shoot lights out night in and night out...that's a matchup nightmare and straight up...he scares me when we play him. He's the main reason that team is #1 in the league this season.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike the guy as much as the next Rocket fan, perhaps even more, but I give props where it's due. That dude is a baller. He can shoot, and if he decides to drive will get a foul most of the time.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Now, I hate the Mavericks as much as any of you. I've said it before and I'll say it again - if Al Quada had a basketball team and they played the Mavericks, I'd root for Al Quada.

That said, how do you figure that Dirk isn't as talented as the media make him? So far as I can tell, he's the only superstar on the best team in the league. He's a top 5 talent. I hate him. He's the enemy. But let's not get carried away. Dirk Nowitzki is one of the best players in the league.

14. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

You're absolutely right. If you had asked this question 2 years ago, you could say that Nowitzki wasn't in the elite (top7)

Now he's firmly there and probably the toughest one on one matchup. He's playing with so much confidence, its' scary. Nowitzki has improved tremendously over the last 2 years. He's much better than when we played him in the playoffs 2 years ago

The positive thing for the Rockets is that Yao has improved a lot from that 04-05 series as well.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Dirk's dissapearing act in last year's finals will always resonate with me... to get my consideration as one of the "best", he'll have to overcome that.

He'll also have to stop flopping... he still flails his arms and screams "murder" waaaay too much for a 7 footer who's built as solidly as he is.

16. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

I would tend to agree with you on this. I just want to see our team compete like we have been all year. If we lose I will sad for the loss but as long as we compete with them I will take away some satisfaction with that. Now if we sweep them both I will doing a Texas Dick Dance at the Phoenix game in Toyota Center.

GO ROCKETS!!! :cool:

17. Sextuple Double

Don't sound quite right. Even less so that Texas is pretty big.

18. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

So true, it reminds me of Karl Malone. 250 pounds of solid muscle but if even the smallest guy on the court touches him down he goes :eek:

19. krayziefl

krayziefl Member

The media and alot around the nba call him a superstar. Well to me he is just a good ( maybe i need to make that a very good ) player. He can play offense but no defense. A superstar has both.
    Second when he needs to step up he turns ghost (uhhum finals 2006 where was Dirk).
    Third on offense im not that afraid of him like i would be for real superstars like kobe, wade, t-mac etc. If i have an above average defender with condition who can be in his face all the time its all good. (uhhum bowen 2006)

And i find the Mavericks a Good/Great TEAM. I dont see it as Dirks team. I see the Rockets as mcgrady's team ( and if Yao continues like the beginning of the season its T-mac & Yao's ), Heat is Wades team (Shaq getting old still great to have for them), LA is Kobe's team etc.
    Oh yeah Jason Terry needs to get more credit and biggest reason Mavericks are a top 2/3 team = Avery Johnson.

20. krayziefl

krayziefl Member

^^can't edit but i meant Bowen 2004/2005 Dal-HOU series.