1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Lucas speaks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slowmustang, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What the hell is going on? The guy should be thrilled to have a guaranteed contract in the NBA whether or not he's playing in games. I understand proven players being upset they aren't getting playing time. I even understand a European superstar being upset he isn't getting playing time after being the star on a championship team where he is from. I don't understand undrafted NBDL scrubs complaining that they aren't getting playing time when they have a guaranteed contract. If you go undrafted, you should be thrilled to be making NBA money regardless of whether or not you're playing.

Hell, I'm 5'10. They can pay me 700 grand to sit on the end of the bench in John Lucas' spot. I promise I won't complain.

2. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

JL III simply sees the handwriting on the wall. Time for him to find a team that is starved for point guards where maybe he can get 10 -12 mins playing time. Don't think he will ever get more then that but good luck. He is going to need it!

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Lucas with the Lid Off

Rocket River

4. pacertom

pacertom Member

The Pacers should be interested since we have a crappy starter (Tinsley) and a crappier backup (McLeod) but I don't see much on our roster at the low price end you would like.

maybe David Harrison (C)? Harrison for Lucas + future pick?

Maybe a #1 pick is too much, but a #2 pick too little. Just release him and we will take him for free!

5. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Morey probably just wanted to raise his trade value by showcasing him in front of the other GMs in Vegas.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why are people still blaming JVG for mishandling bench scrubs and euro trash that cant even hack it living in another country, let along playing basketball there?

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The same reason they always do, it's easy. JVG is the easiest target, it's all his fault he did his best to keep primadona like V-span the great and JLIII the mighty in check, obviously he should have just let them run the asylum

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because a lot of people don't believe they are scrubs or Eurotrash, and believe that JVG's system was more a problem than some of the players.

Would you agree that some players are better suited to a different style of play?

If that is the case, than perhaps some of the players that you think are garbage, may in fact thrive in a different system.

Personally, I believe that JVG's system is/was a big part of the problem, and that he only played players that fit into his style of play. Again, IMO, this is his biggest fault, whereas players like Popovich will adapt their systems to new talents, JVG seemed determined to fit round pegs into square holes.

I guess this season will give us a clear indicator of whether or not JVG was as big a problem as some of us believe he was.....

Time will tell, I guess.

DD

9. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

oh yeah. i should have known that.

DD, the fact vspan doesnt even have the balls to come back isnt jvgs fault.
    JL3 being a 3rd string PG in the nba isnt jvgs fault.

pop adapts his system? really? how so? what have they dont different over the last 5 years? nothing at all. pop and jvg are the same mold, its humorous that you try to talk about how different they are.

actually, time wont tell. This team is already different.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I woudl have gone with "John-John speaks"

11. anon3803

anon3803 Member

So he's basically Steve Francis with no talent and even more delusions of gradeur. I knew it was a bad move when we picked him up and he hasn't done anything to prove me wrong.

12. DaDakota

Donkey, you never answered my question, would you agree that some players are suited to different systems?

You are correct, V-Span is a man, and his decision is all his own, but to say that the situation that he and JVG had did not contribute to his unhappiness is disengenious at best. JVG could have been developing some of the players for the future, but he chose not to, and ultimatly it cost him his job. I won't argue that JVG did anything under the table, I think he did the best job he could, and did what he thought was right, I just disagree with him, and think our GM should have forced him to play some of the younger guys to find out if they are part of the future, or trash as you suggest.

They are a completely different team than the one that won the first championship about 9 years ago with David Robinson and Tim Duncan, he has added Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli and adjusted his system to fit into their skill sets.

Yeah, that is what JVG people will say - this is a different team, can't really judge it, whereas people that think JVG was a big part of the problem will think it justifies their position.

Since it is not an apples to apples comparison, there is no winning this argument - Some of us think JVG was part of the problem, others don't....the point is moot now though, as JVG will surely not be part of the problem this year.

Agreed?

DD

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

JVG gave Lucas fair chances last year. He was treated better than Vspan.

With the addition of Brooks, Lucas should be worried. But, does he really think other teams are better suit for him than the Rockets? I can see Phoenix may want him, but there is no gurantee for his PT there either. He is a midget that plays very little D, he has to realize that.

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

if you want to talk about the addition of players, talk about the guy whose job it is the GM. lets not complicate job responsibilities. But you say he adjusted the system...HOW? you just restated that its different without saying where its different. yes, different players but they still play the same brand of basketball. TD is still the pivot and the focal point. Defense is still good. Offense is still methodical and relies on players making smart decisions, plus execution

and yes, some people may play better in different styles. Doesnt mean thats best for the TEAM, however. Big difference.

again, you assume JVG didnt help the younger players any. Just last night novak was interviewed and said that he learned a great deal from last year. But you've always held that assumption, even though its not a good one.

15. DaDakota

I agree with you here about the GM, but I think CD and Morey did try to adjust to the new NBA by bringing in players that slash and attack the rim....JVG just did not use them, for whatever reasons he had. Whether he thought they stunk, or were too young, or too turnover prone etc....IMO, he should have utilized the regular season to try to get them more adjusted so that when the playoffs came the Rockets were a lot more flexible.

San Antonio's offense is a lot different with Manu and Tony than it was with Avery Johnson and Derek Anderson. They are much more perimeter oriented now...many more drives and back cuts......breaking players down on the dribble etc....less dump it in...

Or course it is still the same basic offense, but more wrinkles, and taking advantage of the way the NBA is called now with no perimeter touching allowed.

I just find JVG's version of offense to be very poor, and too relient on the post play, we need more perimeter penetration, IMO.

That is debatable, which style best fits the Rockets and the way the game is called in today's NBA. And this is where we all disagree, and honestly neither side can prove which is right for the team, only wins in the playoffs will matter, and you are correct in that the situation will be different and so will the team.

I think JVG helped the young guys out to the best of his ability, to work within the confines of his system. Novak fit as a spot up shooter, but he may not fit as a player who has to move without the ball, we shall see.

I don't hold the assumption that JVG did not help the young guys, I just don't like how JVG deals with game time adjustments, and find his dealings to be very political and demotivating to certain players. For instance taking V-Span's comments about having the ball in his hands and making a joke in the media about him being Tmac in Greece was pretty classless IMO.

I am glad he is gone, I think he was holding the organiztion back and was a lot more influential than people think. I also think the organization had enough, and went their own direction last year and JVG ignored the directive which got him fired.....can I prove it? No. It is just how I am reading the tea leaves.

Anyway, this is a tired and old discussion and not something that will get us anywhere.

Let's just hope that Rick Adelman is more successful than JVG, then we can all be happy.

DD

#55 DaDakota, Jul 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  16. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

last bit and im done. you will never admit this team didnt have enough players play well for it to win..in fact the players flat out choked. And i wont say that the blowing of a 5pt lead had anything to do with coaching, rather the supposed "leader" of the team disappeared and in general it was a team wide collapse.

you can talk about jvgs offense being poor but again, when you have chuck hayes, shane battier and rafer alston as 3 of your starters...the offense wont look good. Especially when you consider bringing in rookies/scrubs and deficient players (like head) off the bench. i dont know how you can see them as anything different. i try...but i have no idea how you can see it any other way.

talk about "today's" basketball all you want. The teams that have still won championships have still been mostly defensive oriented teams with methodical offenses. dont get caught up in the marketing gimmick that is "todays" NBA. what a joke.

If the rockets had really good rookies that could help, they would have played. again, luther, chuck didnt have a hard time earning spots. Maybe there are more talented people, but talent doesnt mean **** if you cant play smart and use it. lucas andvspan are your best arguments...and well, thats a pretty weak case by anyones (who doesnt drool on themselves) standards

you can only adjust to the players. how do you adjust with last years team? and sorry, relying on unprovens like vspan aint going to be a good answer. Rockets did what they did best.

the rockets being more successful has less to do with adelman and more to do with tmac playing better, yao improving and staying healthy. MJ actually being a bench scorer with a more well rounded game. Bonzi getting off his fat, depressed arse. etc. not b/c of pure coaching strategy. even you can admit that

17. DaDakota

Players and coaches both at fault, IMO.

Now back to the topic, JL3......he is just doing what is in his best interests, can't blame him a bit.

DD

#57 DaDakota, Jul 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  18. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

This is a Lucas thread, I think :confused:

19. ymc

ymc Member

Let's see what do we have now if JL3 leaves:

Yao/Jake
    Hayes/Novak
    T-Mac/Battier
    Bonzi
    Mike James/Alston/Aaron Brooks/Sura

So we only have 10 players (excluding Sura) now? :eek:

20. anon3803

anon3803 Member

You forgot Snyder, Head, Landry, and Reed. ;)