1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Lucas and Butler to be released

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Batman Jones, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Now it's down to Novak and Reed for the last spot.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5250911.html

Oct. 27, 2007, 11:57AM

Rockets expected to release Lucas, Butler today

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

With their preseason schedule complete, the Rockets returned to practice on Saturday without center Jackie Butler and guard John Lucas III who are expected to be placed on waivers later today.

Lucas had been considered likely to be released or traded since the Rockets acquired Mike James and drafted Aaron Brooks in June, with the Rockets working to deal him since early July. Butler's prospects, however, were much less certain.

Acquired from San Antonio in the trade for forward Luis Scola, Butler would have been the third center, behind Yao Ming and Dikembe Mutombo. At just 22-years-old, he was thought to be a project that could develop and insurance in the event of injuries to Yao, who has missed large portions of the past two seasons, and Mutombo, the NBA's oldest player at 41-years-old.

With the expected release of Lucas and Butler, the Rockets would have 17 players on the roster, including Bob Sura who is not with the team. In addition to Sura, they will have to trim one more player by the Monday deadline to be at the roster limit of 15 players.

2. dedong22

dedong22 Member

no trade....

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's somewhat of a surprise. I thought we'd keep Butler, and let go of Novak.

Novak might be more attractive in a trade than Butler because he's cheaper.

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'd be happy to release Novak and Reed and leave the last spot open for real big man insurance. Butler showed he's not ready to be that, but we do need it. And, while Harris might have on occasion, Novak and Reed won't see time at all.

This is plenty right here:

Yao
    Hayes
    Battier
    McGrady
    Alston

Scola
    James
    Wells
    Head or Francis
    Mutombo

Francis or Head
    Landry

Snyder can sit on the IR waiting for a trade or an injury that allows him to suit up. Brooks can go to the NBDL until a potential trade allows him to see some time on the floor.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Better bring in a big with some size and some athleticism. Of course, from what I have seen from Butler we could probably pick up someone as good or better midseason for peanuts should Yao or Deke go down.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

With the very small amount of playing time he's gotten, keeping Reed would be surprising. Looks like Novak made the team. I figured as much when Harris was let go.

Our NBDL squad: Novak, Landry, AB.

7. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

same thoughts here.

8. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Alright, this was expected. Is it possible to Cut Both Novak and Reed and Resign Harris?

9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

This is a little surprising and disappointing. I remember seeing Butler play for NY and I thought he could develop into Yao's back-up for the future since Deke will be retiring soon. Maybe the Rockets can get him and Harris back somehow. I would take Reed over Novak, but they should both go.

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A little surprised about Butler because that means they have to eat his 2 mil salary. Guess nobody was willing to make a trade.

Butler fell far fast. He went from showing sparks in NY, signing a decent contract with SA (and many said he was a big coup for them as an up-and-comer to have beside TD), then he gets beat out by Elson, then by Elson and Oberto, then he was a throw in for a trade for nobody (Span), then he was released by his new team. Obviously he will latch on somewhere soon and could revive himself but that is a pretty crappy fall and it is all his own fault.

11. CLbros

CLbros Member

The real shame is that Butler made it on NBA 2K8 over Carl Landry. :)

12. Rockzilla

Rockzilla Member

Somewhat surprised with letting go of Butler. I figured Adelman would want to keep a young center with potential since Mount will retire after the season.

13. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

could Kirk Snyder be the odd man out instead???

14. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Possibly. At least Reed has shown that he can hit his open jumpshots in the flow of the offense. Whereas Kirk just pretty much freelanced his way when he's played.

15. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

If the rockets went by talent and who could help this team alone, then he'd be cut. But his contract is bigger than Novak and Reed's.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Also, from what I see, Butler really has shown nothing at all. Novak had his good and bad moments, but Butler just does not seem to "get it."

On the other hand, there must be some league rule that I don't know about...I was thinking it would be best to pay another team $2.5 million or whatever Butler makes to take him off our hands. Economically, it seems to mean the same $2.5 million down the toilet, but at least you can cut luxury taxes.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it's possible, but not likely. if they wanted to keep harris over either of those two, he wouldn't have been cut before them.

18. ABtheTerrorist

i'm pretty sure reed is next.

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    ....yeah i wish

20. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I'm surprised by the Butler cut ... he's still got 2 years on his contract, and makes the same as Snyder. I guess Snyder made the team. That's a fair amount of salary we'll have to pay this year and next.

Whoever thought they could get JL3 for nothing was right.

If it's Reed, I wonder why he wasn't included with these 2 guys? Perhaps there's still a trade in the works for someone ...

If it's about money, it would seem to be Novac next ... but, maybe they're trying to ship him off to Milwaukee for something.

Who knows ...