1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] - Lowry weighs leaving for starting spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketshopeful, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

me personally, I like both of the point guards. I would like both of them to get more consistent. Their play still yo-yo'ed this season when one night they both played great or one of the them played great and then the next night neither one of them showed up. To be Champions, we are going to need consistency from the position.

I would expect that we are going to have the same set up next season with Brooks starting and Lowry off the bench. From what Morey is saying, he is going to do anything he can to bring Kyle back. Obviously if the offers from other teams are reasonable to match.

That being said, I would not be surprised if neither one of these two are starting and someone else is brought in.

1 person likes this.
  2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Lol, you call him a moron, yet you don't know Evans starts at SG with Beno Udrih starting at PG

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Not everyone's as smart as us morons. :) If anyone thinks Evans is a PG, they haven't been watching.

I don't think the Heat will bring back O'neal.. they have enough room for two max free agents plus about ~9-10M more to go after another guy. To me, this means Wade + Amare + ?

In the scenario above, they'd have about 9-10M to fill other holes. I could see them making a run for Raymond Felton (or cheaper Lowry) and maybe a few wingmen. Beasley is going to be their starting PF -- he already is. He should serve as the stretch four with them, giving Wade a shooter on the perimeter and big man on the block (Amare).

Why do you think Lowry needs the ball in his hands? He's a great rebounder, both offensively and defensively. A lot of times this year he played with Brooks, and took a backseat to letting Brooks create. When he'd get the ball, he'd either swing it or attack the basket. I've never felt that Lowry needed the ball to have an impact on the game.

I understand that him and Wade have similar attacking styles, but I don't think that makes them a bad fit.

4. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

Ooooo plz be back lowry!!!!!!!

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I could see him taking the tender offer. It's a nice raise from what he's making now and there's always the chance that he has a better year shooting the ball next season. With his other skills, that would make him a hot commodity a year from now. I could also see the Lakers making a serious run at him. He would be a great fit there. Of course, what I want to happen is that we sign him to a nice deal for at least 3 years and keep running him out there as a magnificent change of pace to AB.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He would be a TERRIBLE fit for the Lakers....Fisher works because he plays off the ball and can shoot 3s.

Who would run with Lowry on the Lakers?

None of those guys run...they are a half court team almost exclusively.

Lowry is a fast break guy, and I like him, but his flaws are known around the league, his lack of jump shot would seriously kill him in any role as a starter.

DD

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I disagree. I also wasn't saying Kyle would be signed to be a starter, but rather for the same kind of chance of pace and defense that he brings to the Rocks. I think the Lakers could use that.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes he could but the Lakers would need guys to run with him...they don't have that right now...outside of maybe Shannon Brown.....they are a stand still triangle offense team.

Bad fit, IMO.

DD

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bryant can't run?

10. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Yeah he could, but he doesn't.

11. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

Doubtful. Lowry is a great piece, but delusions of starting elsewhere are not well-foudned.

12. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

The Lakers have the full MLE, as do the Heat and many other teams in need of a quality PG this off season. Lowry is the best PG available this off season.

The Rockets should look to trade down a few picks for Avery Bradley. I know he is considered a SG, but I think the Rockets can mold him into a PG.

Brooks / Bradley
    Martin / Budinger / Taylor
    Ariza / Battier
    Scola / Hill / Jeffries
    Yao / Hayes / Andersen

I think this has a higher chance of being the lineup next season than Lowry staying with the Rockets.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

If Lowry gets an MLE offer that would be amazing, Sessions is better than him and only got about $3 million a year last year, IIRC.

DD

15. LongTimeFan

True, but what team wanted to commit big money last summer when the 2010 class was the prize? I think you're going to see a lot of big contracts go out once Lebron & Wade re-sign with their teams.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I don't know...last year was the 2010 deal, but this year there is the looming work stoppage and expiring CBA on the table, you don't want to be caught overpaying for players when the cap goes down.

DD

17. LongTimeFan

Maybe, but the difference this year isn't the financial issues. It's the caliber of players: LeBron James. Dwayne Wade. Chris Bosh. Amare Stoudamire. Carlos Boozer. Joe Johnson. Rudy Gay. Ramon Sessions?

It's the caliber of players that will drive the market. Teams are advertising cap space to sell tickets. I don't think the next CBA will be that big of an issue, not when you're talking about signing guys of that caliber. There is no "sorry fans, we'll get the 2013 FA class!" pitches being drawn up to fans -- teams will overpay this summer.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

The only other candidate is Nate Robinson who shoots better than Lowry.

I could be wrong on this. This is going to be an interesting off season to say the very least.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

It won't be an issue for the BIG named players, but it will be an issue for the tertiary players like Lowry.

DD

20. LongTimeFan

Only so many of them to go around -- teams will get desperate and start overpaying the marginal just to get them. Look at Portland this past off-season. Throwing money from one guy to the next -- literally, three different FA attempts.

Brooks is a great scoring point guard.. but Lowry is better than at him at almost every other facet of the game. He also fits in with Morey's draw fouls and get into the bonus strategy. I could see a team giving Lowry the MLE to get a tough-nosed, defensive PG.

Remember, we're talking about the second best point guard on the market, behind Raymond Felton.