1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] - Lowry weighs leaving for starting spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketshopeful, Apr 17, 2010.

1. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Ah damn, you got there first.

2. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

im a big scola fan, but hes not worth 40-50M deal.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Why is that relevant?

4. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Lowry to start for the rockets and having a spark off the bench in Brooks.

5. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Brooks is so unselfish. He knows if Kyle leaves there will be more minutes up for grabs. He knows that at times when his game is low RA goes to Kyle and sits him. Still all he is worried about is having the best team and he knows there is no better backup PG for this team than Kyle.

You da man AB!!!

6. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

He is definitely worth around 8-10 mil a year. Look at players like darko, Cato, Mo Taylor and all those other at that position that dont contribute half as much and have made all that money.

Let Scola get paid, otherwise he'll just get paid somewhere else.

Look at the huge paycheck Gortat got last year and he averaged 4 points and 4 rebounds.

Its a good idea to do some research and see what the market is like before coming up with your conclusions.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What team would want Lowry for their STARTING point guard? This isn't a knock on Lowry because I love his play and what he's done as a Rocket the past two years.

The only team that I think that could use a Lowry at the starting point guard right off the top of my head is, actually, the Lakers.

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

What's Lowry's performance in playoffs? Was you impressed? I don't think a contender like the lakers would use a starting pg who played at that level in playoffs.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Teams whose PG isn't as good as Lowry:

Kings
    Grizzlies (lol)
    Lakers
    76ers
    Knicks
    Pacers
    Charlotte (if they lose Felton)
    Miami

You could make a case for some other teams (Bibby's decline; Calderon's down year), but those are probably the most obvious ones. I'm not sold on Flynn, but they also have Rubio and Sessions so I'm not sure they'd go after Kyle.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

No, they have plenty of spark off the bench in Lowry, Bud, and Hill

Having 4 players the caliber of Brooks, Yao, Scola, and Martin in the starting lineup is not something you should waste. Having Ariza and Lowry in the starting lineup would be a disaster. The defense could pack the paint and only defend Martin on the outside.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Lowry and Wade would be a terrible fit

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Blazers(Andre Miller is pretty old); Hawks(Bibby is pretty old as well); Pacers(has been reported that they've been looking for a pg); Knicks(have no one at PG)...

I think any of these teams could offer him a starting spot, and he would probably bolt ... However given that Brooks might be traded in the off-season I think he'll probably stay... :)

--RB

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think some people here probably didn't pay attention to Lowry's performance in playoffs, which was not good.

Most of rockets fans love Lowry because he always gives his 120%. But, it also means he doesn't have space to improve in playoffs. When every player give their 120% in playoffs, Lowry cannot outplay anyone.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't think so -- Lowry's tough, plays good defense and rebounds well. He'd help them be a much more defensive minded team. They're probably going to be able to sign Amare this off-season, giving them a Beasley/Amare PF/C combo.. there isn't much defense there. They might benefit from having a PG who doesn't look for his own scoring opportunities and plays the type of defense Lowry does.

15. Garner

Garner Member

It is also a good deal to consider the plethora of PFs in the league (and draft) and the impending salary cap/lockout before coming up with your conclusions.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Wade handles the ball most of the time, he essentially plays PG. That means Lowry would be off the ball. WHat would he be doing? He can't be a spot up shooter. With a lineup of O'Neal/Amare'/Beasly/Wade/Lowry, they would not have a single player shooting above 30% from the outside. Wade need a PG who does not always need the ball in his hands and one that can hit shots. Lowry might be the worth PG to match with Wade in the league.

17. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Yea Lowry is tots better than Evans you moron.

18. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

He was probably thinking of Evans as a SG, not every one see's Evans as a PG ...

--RB

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Some people's logic:

Lowry should start over Brooks because Lowry can start for the lakers.

Lowry can start for the lakers because Fisher is so bad.

Fisher is so bad because Brooks outplayed Fisher last playoffs.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Evans is about as much as a point guard as Aaron Brooks, which traditionally is not a point guard but a scoring guard. The only reason I would ever want AB in the starting lineup over Lowry is because of Yao's return next year. As flat footed and lane clogging prone as Yao is, it would severely damper Lowry's game due to his lack of range. AB to me is another Nate Robinson or Ben Gordon, an undersized shooting guard. This should work well against someone like Yao though if we can perfect the in and out game again.