1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] - Lowry weighs leaving for starting spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketshopeful, Apr 17, 2010.

1. choujie

choujie Member

I don't know about that. They blew out Rockets with Fisher sitting on the bench for hitting Scloa.

2. choujie

choujie Member

Lowry can't play half court is a myth. If fast tempo gives you more advantage, why play half court?

But Lowry can play half court too.

Take a look at Rockets's last win of the season, against King. Lowry outplayed AB in half court sets in that game by a mile.

And before Martin trade, the best Rockets unit have both AB and Lowry on it. When did RA play both PGs in the game?
    4th quarter, half court game, with Lowry running the show, AB shooting the ball.

3. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I take back what I said. If someone wants to overpay Lowry for a starting role, let him walk. His jumpshot is far too Rafer Alston like as DD pointed out. I hope he stays as Brooks back-up.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Rajon Rondo also benefits from playing on an incredibly talented team, both offensively and defensively.

I don't think it's fair to say Lowry doesn't want to work on his jumpshot -- some people are just not good shooters. Rondo's FT% hasn't improved much, if any, since his rookie year, but I don't think it's fair to say Rondo has accepted and is content with being a low 60% FT shooter.

5. choujie

choujie Member

RA's 35% 3pt is sufficient. The real problem is his floater, maybe he worst in NBA, and he was in love with that.

Rafer only had one stretch when he made those floaters on a relatively consistent base. The result: 22 win streak.

I'm not saying Rafer making floater is the reason for that streak, but Lowry as a much better finisher around the basket certainly can make Rockets offense run well.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Just curious, why do you like Lowry so much? I think he is an average player.

7. Entropy

Entropy Member

Nor would I want to be condescending to you, but it seems that more people are in agreement with my assessment of his skills than they are your's. I'm not making out Lowry to be anything he's not. He's great pushing the ball, at changing the tempo, at being clutch at exactly the right times we need it, at throwing high-degree of difficulty passes and making them. He is the best decision-maker on the team.
    <p>
    I'm sorry, but you either haven't watched him closely, or are trying to raise the ire of people who do watch him and know what he brings to the table.

1 person likes this.
  8. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

It's AB running the show, AB or Landry shooting the ball. Lowry runs the show when a fastbreak opportunity presents itself. Get your fact straight.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Define "being clutch at exactly the right times we need it"

and definitely is not the best decision maker on the team, there are plenty of times where he is out of control and makes poor decisions like most PGs. The best decision maker is not always a pg either.

Lowry is a great backup pg, one of the best in the league, but he has become very overrated on this board

10. Entropy

Entropy Member

No one is perfect. He makes less mistakes than AB, no offense to AB of course. As for clutch, I recall a number of times when the game was lost this season but he managed to get the rebound when we needed, hit a hard jumper, drew a foul on the other team, and basically turned the tide of the game in our favor by doing the small things. There were many instances during the course of the season when he led us to a win despite the odds, through his tough play and never-give-up attitude.
    <p>
    I'm just telling you guys what i see from his play. When I watch games, I watch everything dispassionately and objectively. While I may like the players, I judge their play by their merits alone.

11. choujie

choujie Member

Watch the games, man. Early in the season, it was AB running the show more. But Lowry ran the show more and more in half court later on, unless it's the last couple positions. pretty much like Tmac and Rafer situation. Rafer ran most sets until late game situation, because Tmac could create his own shot any time he wanted.

12. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

We clearly don't watch the same games.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

When Lowry and Brooks are on the court together, Lowry plays the point and Brooks plays off the ball.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Tmac almost always ran the offensive sets, Rafer hardly ever did.

15. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I was comparing the strong part of his game to premier PG's who were also good at getting to the basket. Earl Watson is a scrub, but his quickness is comparable to the best. Eddie House is a scrub, but his shot is comparable to the best. Lowry is a jack of all trades, master of none. He doesn't do a consistent job of setting up teammates when the opposing team has their starters on the floor or the game slows down. I've compiled a comprehensive list of known PGs in the league and what their situation is over here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=184637

Considering the state of the GARM, that's not something to brag about. It generally means you're in the wrong.

I'm pretty sure choujing is a Lakers fan trying to get the Rockets to overpay for Lowry, he's now on my ignore list.

16. Entropy

Entropy Member

I wasn't referring to the GARM only, but the media who cover the rockets games as well.
    <p> All of those things I said about Lowry still stand, but I would not overpay for him either.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't think Aaron Brooks is a proven, top-notch point guard. Do you have any stats to backup your claim that Lowry's efficiency or consistency goes down when playing against other team's starters?

18. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I can see brooks being the 6th man off the bench if he is not traded this offseason for Bosh, since he really is a SG in a PG body.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

:rolleyes:

20. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Brooks/Martin/Ariza/Scola/Yao Who will get less touches??