1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] - Lowry weighs leaving for starting spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketshopeful, Apr 17, 2010.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Neither could earl watson and he got mle money.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

How is he overrated? He has everything a good PG should need - except the jumper.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Different year.....it might happen, but with a declining market, I don't think it will.

And if he does get MLE money, you let him walk.

DD

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I love Kyle Lowry. I wish I had something more intelligent to say than that. Kyle, you are the man. Your effort, your stones, your heady play. You're an inspiration to everybody around you. I hope we'll see you back in red.

1 person likes this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Due to his defensive lockdown abilities and penetrating nature, Lowry would do very well on teams with great wingmen or shooters. Unfortunately, due to a lack of shooting range, his usefulness offensively is limited to how often the refs will blow the whistle, which come playoff time the refs usually start deep throating the whistle and would therefore limit the usefulness of Lowry. I personally think he will not find a better fit than on the Rockets due to the change of pace playing with AB.

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Hopefully Lowry will be back, Brooks and Lowry complement each other so much, I can't imagine Lowry wearing different jersey next year.

7. Entropy

Entropy Member

So basically that article is saying that Lowry wants to stay so long as the rockets match whatever price other teams will be bidding for him. I doubt any other team values him as much as we do, nor would they be willing to give him Gortat-like offers. Lowry is staying, and thats the best for this team.

8. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

And when Landry was traded for Martin, people were having emotional breakdowns and were generally discontent. Martin's injury history, Tyreke Evans, and Morey's shrewd nature played a big part as well.

A lot of you don't understand what it takes to be a game changing PG. There's more to being a PG than pushing the ball and penetrating. Court awareness, rhythm, running a team, creating in a half court setting, creating off the dribble, being a genuine play maker, etc. Qualities Lowry doesn't have. And when you lack a certain rhythm in your game teams aren't going to give you starter money.

9. Entropy

Entropy Member

Lowry is definitely great at running a team, has excellent court awareness, and is a genuine play-maker.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Then I guess you don't understand it's not realistic to expect an all star at every position. Is Kyle Lowry an all-star? No, but he's a pretty damn good PG.

Lowry doesn't have good court awareness? Doesn't run the team well? Or make plays? Rhythm? Are we watching two different guys? Lowry's best asset is his ability to penetrate, which in itself creates opportunities for us. If anything, I think Lowry is our best PG as far as court awareness, making plays for others, running the team. The team "rhythm" is also noticeably faster under Lowry than it is Brooks -- Lowry makes Budinger better than Brooks does, simply by his ability to push the ball and create a faster pace/rhythm to the game. The only thing Brooks has on him is Brooks' ability to shoot and create a shot for a himself.

I want Lowry back and hope we can keep him -- I'm just worried about him getting overpaid. Scola is our starting PF, so even if he gets a big offer we have a greater incentive to bring him back. If Lowry gets an offer bigger than we expected? How much do we pay in Lux Tax for our backup PG? I wouldn't pay too much, unless there's a realistic possibility that Brooks gets dealt this off-season.

1 person likes this.
  11. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I had to do a double take at this. You sound like you yourself don't understand what a game changing PG is cause Lowry was the most impactful player for some of the very qualifications you listed as Lowry not having.

1 person likes this.
  12. choujie

choujie Member

Actually I think Lowry is a better player now than Fisher a year ago. He certainly can be a starting PG for a championship team if he's surrounded with scorers.

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

He's definitely not a genuine play-maker, and he isn't "great" at running a team. Don't want to be condescending, but your evaluation skills are poor.

I'm speaking on the grounds of Lowry being a starter, not an All-Star. And what NBA teams look for in a starter. The bolded doesn't work in the playoffs or when things slow down, it's far too simple minded. If Lowry was as effective at getting to the basket as people here like to think, he would have shot better than 40%. He's not close to a Chris Paul or Tony Parker calibre penetrator because he doesn't have a first step.

I understand this sounds like a lot of hate, but it's just me injecting reality into the internet. I think Lowry's dream scenario is 3 years, $15 million in this market.

14. choujie

choujie Member

LOL. Lowry is better or equal than AB for all those things you mentioned. If AB can be a starter because of those things, Lowry certainly can.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Too exaggerated! ;)

16. choujie

choujie Member

I believe that guy's evaluation skills are better than yours, You use FG% to judge if a player gets to the basket, which is laughable.

Yes, Lowry shot under 40% but his TS% is 53.6% to AB's 54.9%, not a big difference here. Why? Because Lowry got fouled a lot and the FTs he made doesn't count as FG.

For example, player A, get to the basket 10 times, missed one, but got fould 9 other times, and he made 14 out of 18 FTs. That means he scored 14 points for the 10 times he got there, but his FG% for that is 0%. Player B got to the basket 10 times and made 6 without getting fouled. He has 12 points to show for that 10 shots, and his FG% is 60%.

But who's more efficient? Player A with 0% FG percentage.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

If you're speaking on grounds of him being a starter, not an All-Star, then compare him to one -- you say that and then at the end compare him to All-Stars Chris Paul and Tony Parker. No one is saying that Lowry deserves to be in Chris Paul or Tony Parker's tier -- but that doesn't mean he's still not a good PG. He's still effective at getting to the basket and setting teammates up -- you seem to turn a blind eye to his ability just because CP3 can do it better.

According to you, Lowry's dream scenario is 5M a year -- which is close to MLE money. I won't disagree with that. And I fear that may be too rich for the Rockets, but we'll see.

18. choujie

choujie Member

Did you see how Fisher played in last year's playoffs? Shot worse than Lowry from 3, too slow to cover PG's like AB.

Yet Lakers still won becaue of their overall talent. I think this year's Lowry is better than Fisher in last year's playoffs. There is no reason Lowry can't start given the right players.

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Without Finsher's leadership, the lakers wouldn't win the title last year.

20. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

if your a PG and can't shoot you better have great passing, playmaking, and defense.

thats how rondo's making his money...he's probably the best "intangibles" PG.

lowry isn't as good as rondo running a team, and it seems like has has only one gear, high tempo up and down. i don't see lowry excelling on a half court team.

not many teams want their starting PG to not have a respectable jumper. it also doesnt seem like lowry wants to work hard on his jumpshot. i think he's content with his skillset at this point in his career.