1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]Long into the night at Toyota Center, the Rockets' faith is tested

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by badgerfan, Jan 29, 2009.

1. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/01/long_into_the_night_at_toyota.html

Some highlights:

The question that I cannot get past is about what we see in these fourth-quarter collapses and what they might reveal. The Rockets will get their plan together. They will build their late-game execution around Yao Ming and he will be far better than he was on Wednesday, when he would not lift the offense around him. (He and the Rockets are rarely very good against the wildly athletic teams like Philadelphia, and to a degree like the Warriors who are in town on Saturday.)

Yet, even if they do get an idea of what they want to do down the stretch and more effectively do it, these games spent collapsing late in games do seem to reveal something.

If it is tough to execute in the last five minutes of a home game in January against the 76ers, how will the Rockets do when the intensity and pressure and stakes are dramatically increased in the postseason? The Rockets will have an idea of how they must play late in games, but so will their playoff opponent.

You cannot blow double-digit leads in the playoffs. You cannot win without executing down the stretch. You cannot win playoff round after round unless you are best when things are most difficult.

2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

depressing to the say the least.

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

You forgot to mention that you cannot win without developing some team chemistry especially when a team has had over 15+ different lineup changes. Yes things are very difficult right now, but if this lineup is still blowing leads late in games a month or two from then I probably would hit the panick button. But until then you gotta give them more time together.

4. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

They've been blowing fourth quarter leads for years now. They've been losing to crappy teams that they should steamroll for years now.

Why give them more time when they've been doing this for years?

5. jump shooter

Let me ask you a very reasonable question. How many times has Yao, T-Mac, Artest and Battier played in the same game together? If this team can stay healthy I don't really fear anybody outside of Lakers or the Spurs. This is one of the most talented teams the rockets have fielded in quit some time. They need to develop chemistry by playing with each other and it doesn't happen through osmosis.

6. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

What difference is Artest going to make? He hardly played at all last night.

The point you're missing is that this isn't a new problem. It's the same old problem that's been around for years now. The Rockets haven't been able to fix it for years and they've changed the lineup around T-Mac and Yao numerous times. Adding Scola didn't fix it. Brooks, Wafer and Landry hasn't fixed it. Why should adding Artest fix it when it doesn't even look like the "Big Three" can even play together?

The Lakers have no reason to fear chokers.

7. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Blowing 4th quarter leads and losing to crappy teams the last 4 years. Both false. Durvasa, could you do me a favor and show this fool the stats? I guarantee you the Rockets are near the top in both categories. If I had to guess, I would say they are second behind San Antonio in terms of beating sub .500 teams the last 4 years.

8. jump shooter

When have the Big 3 been healthy all at the same time this season? What are trying to say, should they blow up the team? When did the rockets choke last season? Also, I didn't see the rockets blow to many leads during that 22 game win streak last season.

9. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Gee, why don't you actually go read the article I cited?

10. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

The Rockets run in circles. They make some progress and then blow up and have to start over, they make some progress and then blow up, over and over. They played great for the 22 game win streak and then fell apart for the Utah series. Then they fell apart for the early part of this season, winning on talent alone instead of the offense. They they get the offense rolling. Then we get the Detroit, NY and and Philly games.

The Rockets are too talented to have a losing record but that's all they win on: talent. The don't play smart. They don't execute the offense. Talent's not going to get them very far in the playoffs without those other two things.

Yes, it's time to break up the core.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

the optimist in me would point to the fact that they had a 10-point lead in the 4th quarter when they had been playing some subpar basketball for most of the game. also, i counted at least seven times where we had good shots and they went in and out. combine that with the uncharacteristic breakdowns on some fast breaks and we really should've blown them out of the water.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you are wasting your time dude, nobody reads articles.

look at the one i posted about the ESPN pod cast. that turned into a racial incident cause someone merely explained something to the 90% of the people that were too lazy to listen.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=161621

let me give you a hint, if its these crazy mcgrady fans, they forgo the article or even the post, all the want to do is respond to anything they feel is hurting their idol. Now they diss all of China.

13. ibm

ibm Member

feigen basically said the brass were extremely frustrated. and morey may re-evaluate the whole situation, though tad said he still had faith. so to me it all depends on how morey thinks and moves now.

personally, i think it is time RIGHT NOW (not wait until this summer or later) to break the core of this team as it's proven not working.

yao needs to be established early and often. i've said this thousands of times. anytime we fail to do that we lose (like last night); and on the contrary everytime we do, we usually win (we won 6 out of 7 that way when no other choices were available but yao - not long ago). it seems that mixing up a yao-centric offense with ball movement (as opposed to a pure jvg style offense) is the winning formula.

i tend to agree that adelman-yao-mcgrady don't fit together. artest is a lot minor issue. at least one of them has to go - right now. i'd prefer to see #1 gets shipped; but if for whatever reason they decide to trade yao, i'd be fine with that, too. it's at least better than the status quo for this team.

14. jump shooter

True of False- Did the rockets have their starting All Star center for the Utah series. True or False- was their starting PG injured during the Utah series. True or False- Do the rockets currently have a losing record. True or False- Are the rockets three and half games out of 1st place in the southwest division while playing through injuries and playing six more road games than the 1st place team SA and five more road games then NO.

15. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

True or false: did I not post that the Rockets were too talented to have a losing record but that was all they win on, talent.

The issue isn't the regular season. The issue has never been the regular season. The issue is that the Rockets consistently get out of the regular season and fail in the playoffs. The fourth quarter choke jobs aren't going to stop the Rockets from getting into the playoffs. The fourth quarter choke jobs are a symptom of an underlying problem that's going to prevent the Rockets from being successful in the playoffs.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Come on Max, that was a bit different....that was the playoffs against a good team...this team blows leads against CRAP teams.

This is a problem, and the team must address it.

To me it is an identity problem, the reason the team won with Wafer was that everyone played their role, and it worked.....now, is it Tmac, Ron, or Yao?

To me, it has to be Yao.....everyone else feed off him....

Also, trade Ron....(Got to stay consistent).

DD

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fixed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_City

Choke City refers to a Houston Chronicle front-page headline in 1994, where the name "Choke City" was given to the City of Houston after the Houston Rockets blew very big leads in the first two games of their second round of their match-up with the Phoenix Suns in the 1994 NBA Playoffs.

19. rocketsmetalspd

DD and you think TMac will change his ways and feed off Yao? Ron maybe traded but TMac will still be doing what he does and not allow the offense to run through Yao. He will want Yao to come up and set that stupid screen in order for him to get his shot off.

20. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I don't know why there are so much uproars and surprises over these past two games. I did not expect anything to change when TMac & Ron come back. Sure in my heart I wanted them to change like I've written in my previous posts.

Reality, however is a b****. Do you think after the in and out of the line-up those two had since the beginning of the season, they would just come in after the two week off and start playing teamball immediately?

Everyone of us was enjoying that mini win streak we had when Ron& TMac were out. The games were enjoyable, we had a clear indentity, it was Yao and everyone was playing off of him. Ball movements were crisp, guys were being completely unselfish, they were following the examples of their leader: Yao.

Now Ron & TMac are back, Yao is being ignored on offense, Rafer's going back to his bad habits, Wafer's minutes are down to nothing, Barry becomes an invisible man to the point where I don't see him on the court anymore(literally), Scola and Landry just don't have the same tenacity like before(when Ron & Tmac were out).

I don't know about you guys but it is hard to watch this team play again. For a brief shining moment during that little mini winning streak, I was pumped about the team, I had a busy work schedule yet I made an effort to watch evey one those games.

It's time to move on without TMac & Ron!