1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Kubiak to be named AFC Coach of the year

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by davidio840, Mar 1, 2012.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you're just ignoring facts. the entire city of Houston knows that McNair made that hire after talking to Bum. Smith gets partial credit since that is job function. Kubes had no choice and for that you shouldn't be given credit.

Now Kubes did promote Bush to DC and that was a major record breaking fail. So Kubes should get credit for that "hire" since Kubes promoted him.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Wade Phillips was not a Kubiak hire.

After Gary struck out with Richard Smith and Frank Bush, McNair basically stepped in and went and got his own choice.

Whether Rick Smith had any input on it, I'm not sure, but McNair was definitely at the fore-front of the entire hire Wade campaign.

#42 DonnyMost, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

:rolleyes:
    It's about Kubiak receiving the COY award, not if he deserves "any" credit for last year - obviously he deserves plenty.

You don't agree, that's fine, but I and others share the view that the biggest reason for our success last year was Wade. And Bob McNair was the guy that made that happen - Wade was clearly hired before he interviewed for the job. Without McNair taking the defensive personnel keys from Kubiak and giving them to Wade, I don't think there's a chance we'd be discussing this right now.

1 person likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The *organization* signed off on both hires. Find the clip where Kubiak gives any indication he wasn't on board with the Phillips hire - he's known for him decades. Conversely, find the clip where McNair and/or Smith vehemently objected to the hiring of Smith and/or Bush.

You'll find neither because by every indication available, everyone was on board with all three of the moves.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No, emjohn - it's how the inexplicable dismissal of his CoY credentials is the latest in a loooooooong line of head-scratchingly silly attempts to continue to denigrate Gary Kubiak. I said as much in my very first response: "And I continue to be amazed that Kubiak and Schaub remain as vilified as ever despite what most would readily agree were pretty definitively redemptive seasons." Since Schaub wasn't eligible for CoY, it's pretty apparent I had a much bigger canvas in mind.

When the defense went south in 2010, there was a very small - small by about one - minority of people who didn't hold Kubiak fully accountable for Frank Bush's failings (not his hiring - that's on Kubiak; but his failings as a coach). And now, a year later, no one wants to hand Kubiak any credit for Phillips' successes. Say what? That's silly and petty and reeks of a pre-determined, anti-Kubiak agenda. He literally, apparently, can't win with far too many people.

And please don't hide behind the "McNair hired Phillips" line because you will not find a single word of objection from Kubiak - he's known him from decades, seemingly welcomed him to his staff and has steadfastly supported Phillips in Phillips' own self-interested head coaching campaign. It may not have been his first choice or, for all we know, it WAS his first choice...

But to try and swipe credit from Kubiak's breakthrough season as a coach, where he held together an injury-ravaged team he was able to drag to 11 wins including the playoffs is patently unfair.

I don't know (or, frankly, really care) if he deserves it - but sure as heck-fire deserves to be a leading candidate.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What? That doesn't follow the assumption that everything wrong with the Texans is Kubiak's fault.

8. msn

msn Member

Congrats to Kubiak. I had given up on him, too. Hope he earns the award again in 2012.

And kudos to him for crediting his staff. Is there an award for DCs?

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Not that I know of. Wade would be a guarantee for that award though

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, yes. It's called Head Coach. :eek:

11. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Congrats... I guess? Nice work Wade :)

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm happy for Kubiak. The Head Coach gets all the blame when things go wrong, so I don't mind Kubiak getting some credit when things go right.

I think we need to look at the players we drafted last year, and free agents like Joseph and Manning and realize that those players had a huge impact on our success this past year. Wade did a great job, but he had some real talent to work with. This is really an award that the entire organization should be proud of.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ELVhqlfmRZo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Thought the video was perfect for Kubiak's situation. Walk high.

Edit: meant for this to be an edit not new post

15. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

Kubiak deserves it. The rest of you people better get on the Kubiak train because he is not going anywhere anytme soon.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

As critical as I have been of him, I'm super happy for the guy. Always seemed like a nice guy...never ran from blame or pointed fingers to anyone but himself. Even if he were the worst coach on the planet, that speaks to him being a good man.