1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Kubiak the front-runner among candidates to coach Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3571537.html

Kubiak's interview goes well

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Gary Kubiak's five-year wait is over.

Kubiak had an interview for the Texans' head coaching position in 2001, and as soon as it was over, he wanted a second chance. The Houston native was not sure he would ever get one.

That opportunity finally arrived Friday when the Texans' five-man search committee traveled to Denver to meet with Kubiak, who was ready and waiting.

He was more prepared, relaxed and familiar with the entire process than he was during his first go-around. It showed. All indications are that Kubiak, 44, now stands alone atop the list of candidates to replace Dom Capers as Texans head coach.

"Having the ability to come back and (interview) again today, I couldn't ask for anything else," Kubiak said by telephone from Denver. "It's been a great day, and it's been a tremendous experience for me."

Kubiak, who is in his 11th season as the Broncos' offensive coordinator, was much more confident walking out of Friday's interview than the last time.

It had to help that there was a familiar face involved in the interviewing process. In addition to Texans owner Bob McNair, general manager Charley Casserly, vice chairman Philip Burguieres, and Cal McNair (the owner's youngest son and a limited partner), Texans consultant Dan Reeves also made the trip. Reeves was Kubiak's coach throughout his nine-year playing career as the Broncos' backup quarterback to John Elway, and the two have remained close friends.

"He taught me a lot of football, and he taught me a lot about life," Kubiak said of Reeves. "He's a wonderful man, a good family man and a good Christian man. You couldn't, as a player, ask to be around anybody better."

Kubiak, a graduate of St. Pius High School, attended Texas A&M before being drafted by Denver in 1983. Other than two seasons spent as the Aggies' running backs coach (1992-93), Kubiak has been away from Texas the entire time.

"It's sure exciting to think about the possibility that it could happen," Kubiak said. "I've been away for a long time. I've been away from home for 20 out of the last 23 years. Denver became my home over that period of time, but I've got strong ties (to Houston), my family and friends. And I have a tremendous passion for the Houston franchise, being from there."

Kubiak is scheduled to interview with the Detroit Lions this weekend. His talks with teams will then cease. Since the Broncos have their first playoff game next week, Kubiak will not be allowed to speak with potential employers again until Denver's season is over.

The Texans have two more interviews scheduled with Jerry Gray (today) and Cam Cameron (Sunday). Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz remains a candidate, but no interview has been set up, and the Texans' interest in him appears to be fading.

Kubiak's success as a Broncos assistant coach is apparent in the team's offensive statistics. During six of Kubiak's 11 seasons as offensive coordinator, the Denver offense has ranked in the league's top three. His work with Elway and current quarterback Jake Plummer also has garnered Kubiak a lot of attention.

That is why it was no surprise to hear he already has scouted David Carr, who could be Kubiak's next quarterback.

"First off, he's got tremendous ability," Kubiak said. "We all know he's a great kid. You can't ask for anything more than those two things. But then you've got to go to work. ... Through a lot of hard work, there's another level there for him to reach."

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Glad to hear the interview went well this time. I wonder who Kubiak would have as coordinators if we hired him.

3. TigerBait

TigerBait Member

Rumor has it that if Jerry Gray doesn't get a head coaching job, which I don't think he will, then the Texans will throw some money his way to be the new DC.

4. meh

meh Member

I think this is excellent news. Look which part of our team underachieved the most: O-Line and QB. Both of which Kubiack has a track record of excellence at. Granted, neither Plummer nor Griese are world-beaters. But they're both considerably less talented than Carr. And both have had solid to great seasons at Denver. And there's no question that he would immediately make our offensive line better.

As an added bonus, Kubiack's perfect for Reggie Bush. Denver RBs routinely get into the secondary. If Bush comes close to seeing the holes in Houston like RBs do in Denver, he is going to tear up the NFL.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

really?
    Plummer has a whole lot of hype about him for a long time

I agree Kubiak is the better Linesman coach
    which Is what I want him

Rocket River

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

Kubiak will be a great choice. Bush will do well in Kubiak's system, and Carr as well. A strong, AGGRESSIVE defensive coordinator, and it's set. Likely an end to the 3-4 defense as well.

7. dskillz

dskillz Member

Don't forget Kubiak was also Steve Young's QB coach when he first got to the 49ers after his Tampa Bay experience. Kubiak seems to be gifted in getting the best out of QBs. Also he is good at working with the O-line. I hope we announce him as head coach next week.

8. mateo

mateo Member

Kubiak loves two headed RB attacks, too.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

We better make this happen...IMO, he is the best person for the job...An offensive minded coach that should not only incorporate the zone blocking scheme that has made his RB's good, but also give the QB more control...

10. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I'm excited to see Kukiak, Carr, AJ, Bush and DD. Should be fun.

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Thank you!!!!!!!!! The 3-4 stinks unless you have fantastic linebackers.

12. Rockets34Legend

In other words, rrj, WE HAVE AN OFFENSE! :D

All we need to do is hire on Jerry Gray as defensive coordinator and we're set!

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We have an offense WHEN we draft Vince and get a real NFL QB.

DD

14. mogrod

mogrod Member

God, we all get your point. You LOVE Vince Young, think he is the, and will be the greatest QB ever to play. Is there really a point to post the same thing every five posts in every thread?

15. Bogey

Bogey Member

No kidding. It's a shame VY didn't go to Fla St or Penn St so you can have serious conv. about talent evaluation or HC candidates w/o someone riding his jock.

With Kubiak on board, if you could bring Gray in as DC (throw enough money at him and hope he doesn't land a HC gig) then we would be set.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Does Buffalo run the 3-4. Would Gray bring that here?

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I will say that at least Kubiak has the brains to revamp the offense around whomever they draft.

I like having a young innovative coach coming in over an old stodgy one.

We need more a more dynamic thought process, someone who can take the talents and mold an offense and defense around them.

Kubiak would be great.

DD

PS. I put the Vince comment in my previous post to be funny.

18. Cire

Cire Member

I think Kubiak will be a good coach for the Texans.