1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Instead of a quick fix, Rockets might play the waiting game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by texanskan, Jul 8, 2008.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Compliments go to leebigez for solid answers and being so patient with some of the posters in this thread. :)

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

At one time, Europe and the Christian world thought the Earth was flat and was at the center of the universe. You were an excommunicated heretic to think otherwise. A universe-centric and flat Earth was the prevailing thought of both the common man and the supposedly intellectual elite.

The fact that I have a minority opinion and disagree with Morey on Battier's value is not hate. I have well-documented my logical analysis. I don't post to please you or myself. I post to evaluate. If you choose to ignore my well-thought out opinion because you disagree? No problem...time is on MY side.

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Your analogy is way off -- I'm by no means a Morey apologist. I hated the Battier trade, and I'm still not sold on Brooks and especially the report of not including him to get Artest. But I will give him time to see just how he shapes the team -- the Landry pick last year was a great, great pick. How Greene/Dorsey work out, who knows -- but I'll give it time before I throw him under the bus.

I'm not accusing you of having a minority opinion or disagreeing with me. I agree with you about the Battier trade. My issue was since then, you can't see anything through an unbiased scope. Running around throwing out "$Ball" any chance you get doesn't really help your cause. If Morey blows his nose, you'll be there to say how $Ball sucks. I used to really enjoy your post and would love to see your well-thought out opinions on what realistically the Rockets should do. Unfortunately, you're either usually bashing Morey or explaining cap issues.

I just did a quick search of your posts and saw a reply to me I never saw. Are you saying you'd let Landry walk to go after the Ricky Davis/Pietrus type? I know you hound on tall and athletic - does that come at the expense of Landry?

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Baron was traded to GSW for peanuts and the team was going no where. Carter was traded for peanuts to a jersey team that really needed him. What I can't u to separate is the sense of urgency this team should be committed to. I'm all for the class of 03 and have stated it many times, but like I have also said that there are a lot of good players players that can come help this team win now and still have cap room for James. All u have to do is look at guys who contract has this year plus one on it. U don't think Al Harrington would be a huge asset on this team? I mean if we're going to sit back and chill and go for the barry types, while the I-10 rival gets a 28 yr old more atheletic upgrade in Mason Jr, I don't know what to say. BTW, our biggest cap relief will be Mcgrady anyway. As long as the team don't get players past the next 2 yrs for big money, the rox could sign James, then re-sign tracy. In the meantime, they can get mle,te, and lle types on the roster.

5. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

It doesn't work that way. Tracy will count against the Rockets cap until they renounce his Bird rights, or he signs with another team.

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Edit: never post when you are in a bad mood.

7. leebigez

If I wrong, pls feel free to correct me. Lets say the Rox sign Davis for 3.5m and Landry 2.5m. At the end of 09-10 , the Rox will have 32m in contracts. They could give LBJ 6yrs 120m or 20m per. The rox could get rid of Battier and his expiring 7.3m for a 2nd rd pick or so. So now the rox have Yao, Brooks, LBJ, R. Davis, D. Greene, Dorsey, and Landry at 43m of salary on a 60m cap. McGrady can take 7 or 8m and scola takes 4m, plus they still have mle,lle, biann, and min. I'm I on point or no?

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Too late. I read your racist post.

Just kidding.

9. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

oh for gods sake haven't you guys been reading the FA signing, all the big FA signings have been done with teams under the cap so i don't see why people are whining, we just can't compete with them also if they do wanna sign with contender, im sorry to say that the spurs, lakers, celtics are more likely going to get the players, so can't you people just relax morey knows what he's doing.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

LOL now don't you start on me!!

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Is English your first language? If not, I apologize for yelling, but... DAVIS AND CARTER WERE TRADED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON! The reason they were "traded for peanuts" was because the Hornets and Raptors had given up on their seasons and were in sell mode. The Rockets could not get Brand, or Davis without giving huge parts of a 55 win team. It is too stupid to contemplate. *Now* you're complaining about the Rockets not getting Al Harrington, or Roger Mason, jr.? Just stop. You're (in your language, "u r") embarrassing yourself.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think this is spin, I believe the Rockets have no choice but to play the waiting game.

They bungled the Landry deal last year, and are paying for it this year having to wait it out while he tests the waters.

If they would have done the customary 2 years guaranteed for a high 2nd round pick with a team option for year 3, they would be hard after some free agents with the MLE, but because of the Landry situation, they are forced into waiting mid season to make a splash.

And since they are stuck they have no choice but to wait for teams to realize that they are not really a contender around the trade deadline and shed the larger contracts for expirings.

I applaud Morey for making the best of the situation, but I can not ignore that the reason they are in this situation was that he bungled the Landry signing last year.

Let's hope with Dorsey he doesn't make the same mistake again.

DD

#112 DaDakota, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  13. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I'll have to take your word for all those numbers, though it's a little hard to believe they could be down to $32 mil.

Who is LBJ?

They can't give Battier's salary for a draft pick.

They won't have those MLE, Bi-annual (LLE) exceptions if they're under the cap. Well, technically they will, but it won't be in addition to what they can do with their cap space.

I was just saying that when you have a FA, he doesn't give you extra space so you can sign somebody else, then sign your own FA. He counts against your cap until you release him or he signs a contract, not an offer sheet, with another team.

14. leebigez

I don't do this often, but looking at it now, that was a poor joke on my part. It was out of line and character of me.

BMoney- English is my primary language of usage. I will admit that eventhough I have a BS in Biology and Chemistry as well as owning a trucking company, I get grammatically lazy at times on the net.

I wasn't yelling and screaming about Mason Jr to the spurs. I was merely saying that they are attempting to get bigger and more atheletic and the Rox should try also.

DD- U see the kid that was committed to Zona is heading overseas. Is he the new Haywood or Clarett as far as trend setters. Where is Sam Fisher?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Of course, already discussing it here

Did you read my post about the Rockets being trapped into this position by the Landry issue?

I wonder if anyone else thinks the same thing.

DD

16. caneks

caneks Rookie

Very disappointed. There will be no hope for champ without major trade.

Maybe it is just me having this kind of feeling.

17. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

I don't see how anyone could see it any differently. Landry has the Rockets hands tied until he is under contract. I don't see this situation changing unless he signs an offer sheet from another team, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

18. rua2006

rua2006 Member

That guy in all the Sprite commercials. I think he also hosted the ESPYs.

LeBron.