1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Hill winning battle to overcome off-court problems

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the_hustler, Mar 26, 2011.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If Hill and Patterson can develop their game and become our future frontcourt, that would be great. Love watching them both play.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hope Bud parties less and helps his buddy more. :)

3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Thanks for posting that, good read. I'm a professional counselor so I work with people all the time (especially men) with leadership/confidence issues. Sounds like JHill has got self-worth issues making it difficult for him to keep boundaries and remained focused on what he's responsible for and what he can control. Hearing this story reminds me these guys are so young and have to deal with such huge responsibilities. Any other mental health professionals out there think guys like this (or the rockets in general) could use some therapy? Heck I'd do it for free if it'd mean our rockets could be stronger mentally....

1 person likes this.
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Considering how many reports about Hill not caring enough for the game, or not showing enough effort on the court, hopefully this is the explanation rather than him simply not giving a damn.

If he truly has family issues, the Rockets should help him sort things out. Especially since Morey likes to talk about how they're one of the best at developing young players. And these things go both ways. The Rockets help him, and he can spend his time improving his game to become a quality player for us.

It is sad. I've always understood that many NBA players grew up poor. But never really thought about the complex family dynamics that many of them face.

5. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

This sort of explains the ups and downs of Jordan's play on the court.

Hopefully he can overcome all of this and be a great player for us.

1 person likes this.
  6. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

Caseworker at an MHMR here; does that count as a professional (ie not therapist or PhD level)?

Sounds like siblings and other extended family feel that whatever he earns is theirs too, and probably some serious guilt being laid on him. Unusual for that to happen to the baby of the family, as usually they're often the ones being taken care of rather than the other way around.

I was very touched to read that article, and am glad Feigen wrote it; it certainly gives me a whole new side of Jordan Hill, and I'll definitely be giving him more slack in the future. It'll take a while to gain the maturity needed (at least if I'm anything to go by!).

1 person likes this.
  7. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

Agreed on all points above.

I think the very fact that this article came out in the Chronicle is the Rocket Organization's way of showing support for him, and to silence any nay-sayers (myself among them at times). Sounds like they're aware and trying to help him on that front, seeing as Feigen's their mouthpiece.

I love my team for that, for caring about the whole player and not just yelling about the results - or lack thereof - on the court at playtime.

8. DrewDice

DrewDice Member

not feeling this.. we all have problems, and there's even worse situations than Hill.. hope the best for him, but the Dude needs to do something. If not, then D'Antoni is right about him.

9. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

YOU CAN DO IT !

10. Rox>Mavs

I agree to some extent. We all have problems and we all have to work at ourselves if we're ever going to make it in life (can't externalize our issues and blame other people). But doing something about it and working on it means knowing how and when to ask for help. If Hill is communicating these difficulties to the organization and asking for help, then good for him. He's doing what he should to get better and his community ought to be supportive of that. I don't agree that people shouldn't ask for help in dealing with their problems or just deal with their problems on their own or compare the severity of problems with others. That doesn't do anything to better people, the organization they're a part of, or society in general.

Now if his game is a result of work ethic or a sense of entitlement, then no one can help him with that other than himself.....then yes I'd be all for cutting him loose. But sounds like he could improve (his game and as a person) with some work and some help. my 2 cents....

1 person likes this.
  11. Rox>Mavs

Yeah I was thinking the same....sounds like a family system where value/worth is based on performance/production/provision. Sad but that so common in our society today....

12. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Hill is also very lucky to have a former college teammate and friend in Chase to help him. He needs to keep up what's he been doing lately-ie playing with all out hustle and energy and relatively good defense

13. Rockston

Rockston Member

Poor guy, no matter what you say, losing your mother at such an age is heartbreaking.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Good to hear he is getting it together, these are human beings out there with real world problems.

I hope some of the folks around here that have been bashing him relentlessly read this and modify their actions.

Crow eating, so to speak.

DD

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Interesting post. Seriously. Depending on whether you believe that advice it has a lot of applications in life and in politics.

Here's hoping the best for Hill.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am a huge Jordan Hill fan. I really want him to pan out.

I'd buy his jersery but I am afraid he is going to be traded =(

17. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Member

I won't deny it but I didn't really like Jordan Hill at first. He always seemed so apathetic but after we got Pat, I started to root for him more. I really hope they both develop into serviceable big men along with Thabeet. As for the family issues, that sounds so tough to handle. The people you love the most are suddenly the problem and they turn on you. I read a book by Charles Barkley where he mentioned he gave his friends and family so much money just to keep them close until it got out of hand.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

It is true, everyone has problems, but that doesn't mean everyone is able to handle them the same way. I've learned that the hard way. Sometimes even if you have a good support system and a strong personality doesn't mean you can handle everything on your own. If you can, well then kudos to you.

It sounds like JHill has gotten some assistance from the right people though, so hopefully he can focus on his work.

19. fattz

fattz Member

True so true BUT we do not TALK about it in a public forum...

It saddens me that from the sounds of it when he is done playing he will have nothing to show for his time in the NBA...

This happens all the time to players rich on Monday broke by Tuesday maybe Thursday thanks to "family and friends"...

When it's gone it's gone... When it's over it's over... "Family and friends" move on to the next hand out... One is left wondering what happened to all the money... And the bills still keep coming...

Give time; time

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There is no need to eat crow.

Most people here are simply dissatisfied with his performance on court, and even though this is probably a reason for his apparent lack of interest in the game, it doesn't change the fact that he hasn't shown much effort or talent on the court.