1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CHRON: Good thing Young is a people person

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gunn, Feb 4, 2006.

1. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

it gets old responding to this crap (but I can't help myself), pac 10 defenses (same as big 12 defenses). If these defenses are so bad, why doesn't everybody do what Bush/ Young did? Vince Young has had great games and also atrocius games. The michigan and USC games were dominated with his running, can he do this in the NFL? Are Bush's/ Young's skills going to translate in the NFL? Blah Blah

The texans are not fools if they pick either of them. You do not know how their careers are going to turn out, they are both really unique talents.

2. IC2000

Yes because there is no way he would ever be picked first, so of course he would want to go to the texans. The texans are the only team that would consider him first, just because he is from Houston

3. IC2000

I am for Bush but I honestly agree Vince wants to play for the Texans. He will not have any problems with money, I heard he is getting a huge nike contract

4. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Claiming that a player entering the draft wants the most money possibly on his 1st signed contract is now considered "pulling something out of your a$$"??? :confused:

5. gucci888

gucci888 Member

No it's not a wild assumption, but saying that VY only wants to be the #1 pick because of the money is though. Like I said, VY has said over and over of how much he loves Houston and how much he wants to play here. When Chris Meyers asked Bush how important it was for him to be the #1 pick, he said something along the lines of "I'm a very competitive guy." :confused:

VY has about a hundred reasons why he wants to play for the Texans, some probably outweigh the difference in contract money. RB only has 1 reason to want to come to the Texans, maybe 2, none have to do with him actually wanting to play for the Houston Texans.

As I said before, you're just trying to make VY look insincere about him wanting to play for the Texans. He is set to make more money than any other rookie next season, so I don't think he wants to be the #1 pick for money since he will already be making more than anyone else. The same cannot be said for Bush.

6. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I think Bush wants to be the #1 overall pick because he will get more $$$$.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Ever heard of Jerome Harrison? He ripped the PAC-10 for 1900 yards last year on just 308 carries, including 4 games with 200+ yards against sh*t PAC-10 defenses.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=164335

Also, here are top 50 defenses in the nation for 2005. There were 8 teams here from the Big 12, and only 3 teams from the PAC-10.

#10 Texas
    #11 Kansas
    #13 Oklahoma
    #26 Nebraska
    #30 Texas Tech
    #35 Iowa State
    #41 Colorado
    #45 Kansas State
    #50 Missouri
    #63 Baylor
    #95 Oklahoma St.
    #107 Texas A&M

Look at the rest of the defensive juggernauts of the PAC-10:

#44 Oregon
    #46 CAL
    #48 USC
    #84 Oregon St.
    #86 Arizona
    #94 Washington
    #105 Stanford
    #106 Washington St.
    #113 UCLA
    #114 Arizona St.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?div=4&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org

Sometimes owning you is just too easy.

#67 Baqui99, Feb 6, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

Vince should play for Houston, but the more time passes, I think he won't...Its a shame as he will be a difference maker in the NFL...The hometown thing is also nice too...

9. Bogey

Bogey Member

I could care less where VY want's to play and how much he loves Houston. I don't think he is the best fit for the team. The only way the hometown hero effect should ever come into play is if you rate two guys dead even on how they will help the team. Otherwise you take the guy that will help the team the most. I think in this case Bush will do that. I have not heard him say one bad word about Houston or Texas. It would be so much easier if VY was from Iowa or never played for texas then it would either be Bush or trade down (which if given the right package, could possibly be the best option).

10. msn

msn Member

We're leaving out another pretty huge factor in this--ego (and not in the negative sense).

Who *wouldn't* want to be able say he was the FIRST overall pick in the NFL draft?

In fact, the Heismann snub was a huge motivator for VY in the now-famous 2006 Rose Bowl (if the reports that said so are to be believed).

11. msn

msn Member

That actually makes a lot of sense--the first pick of the draft is as big an honor, even bigger, than the Heismann trophy.

12. msn

msn Member

Your defense argument was no good, but I agree with this statement.

We have no idea. We can't predict the future. But, rest assured, the hindsight GMs will be out en masse here in a few years. Why, our own DD is already scripting his retorts. :p

As for my opinion, I'm still wishy-washy on the whole issue. I *still* don't know what I think they should do.

13. IC2000

Jerome Harrison is good. What is your point? Do i need to pull up Cody hodges?

Anyways UT did not play itself so take them out for defenses, did not play nebraska, Iowa State or K State. They did play the 4 worse defenses in the big 12 though. Also 4 of the top 20 teams in ypg are in the PAC 10. Maybe they have really good offense (of course not the defenses just suck)?

14. Major

Major Member

Bowl games suggest their offenses are pretty good and their defenses are miserably bad. Against the likes of Rutgers, Northwestern (maybe the worst defense ever), and BYU, the Pac-10 offenses lit up the scoreboards, but their defenses also gave up ridiculous amounts of points.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

(wait for it....)

there it is. whew! for a minute there, i thought you were gonna let me down, but nope - came through like a champ! you managed to blow up VY's rose bowl performance and somehow not mention that it came against one of those ****ty Pac-10 teams. amazing!

btw, kansas and baylor are holding on line 2... not sure what they want.

16. Major

Major Member

Not to speak for Baqui, but what made Vince's Rose Bowl performance unique was not so much what he did, but when he did it. Vince has had similar or better games, before (Okie State, Michigan, for example), so the numbers, while great, aren't terribly unique. It was the circumstances - 4th quarter, national title, 4th down, etc - that made that performance what it was.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you took that out of context, his point about the rose bowl is that the guy has continued to respond to critics, and even if you hadn't taken it out of context, i'm pretty sure bush never played usc. and vy has an outstanding performance against a very good big X defense.

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Wow. This is just too easy. Now allow me to knock that hanging slider out of the park, ala Albert Pujols.

Late score lifts Texas to second straight Big Ten win

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Vince Young did what star quarterbacks do, passing his team to a victory and making the Texas Longhorns look as if this could be the season they come up big in the biggest of games.

Best known for his highlight-reel runs, Young threw a 24-yard go-ahead touchdown to Limas Sweed with 2:37 left and No. 2 Texas defeated No. 4 Ohio State 25-22 on Saturday night in the much-anticipated first meeting between two of college football's most storied programs.

On the road, against the #5 defense in the nation, Ohio State, Vince accounted for 346 yards of total offense, 270 in the air and 76 on the ground, and 2 TDs. I would like to see Bush try to take on Ohio State's LBs. AJ Hawk and Bobby Carpenter would have destroyed him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=252530194&confId=null

19. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

[​IMG]

texas receivers are always wide open

20. IC2000

ONE PLAY!!!!!!

The same ****ty picture every time.

Anyway, I think his performance against OSU is beyond overrated.