1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Free agents, vets are key decisions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2862462

The Astros returned to Houston on Friday afternoon and went their separate ways after an improbable season in which they fell one game shy of reaching the World Series.

For the players, it will be four months of rest, relaxation and reflection on perhaps the most exciting season in franchise history. But for general manager Gerry Hunsicker, the work is only beginning.

This will be a busy offseason for the Astros, who have several key decisions to make during the winter that will have a huge impact on the makeup of next year's club. Among the questions:

Will free agents Carlos Beltran and Roger Clemens choose to re-sign? Will the Astros pick up the option on aging veterans Craig Biggio and Jeff Kent? Will interim manager Phil Garner and his coaching staff return?

"We're going to meet with (owner) Drayton (McLane) sometime early next week and just kind of put a game plan together and a timeline together how we're going to go about doing some of these things," Hunsicker said. "The manager issue clearly is something I'd like to see resolved sooner than later because it affects so many things, like coaches.

"Certainly as you go into the offseason, free agents want to know who your manager is, you want your manager to have some input in the decision. Manager is a key issue, and we want to put that on the front burner."

Garner, who replaced Jimy Williams at the All-Star break, will be retained, even though the Astros will be required to interview minority candidates to comply with commissioner Bud Selig's edict.

Garner took over a team that was 44-44 at the break and guided it to a 48-26 second half to finish with 92 wins and the NL wild-card berth. The Astros beat the Atlanta Braves in the Division Series for their first playoff series win.

Garner said he's had no discussions about returning.

"I'd like to relax for a little while, and we'll see happens," he said.

Kent said he hasn't seen enough of Garner to know how good a manager he is.

"We don't know what he's made of yet," Kent said. "We haven't seen him in spring training, we haven't seem in the dog days yet. We were playing too good to find out what kind of a tough guy he can be."

Beltran, acquired June 24 in a trade with the Kansas City Royals, will be baseball's most coveted free agent this winter. He fell two home runs shy of becoming just the fourth player to hit 40 homers and steal 40 bases in a season, and his breathtaking performance in the playoffs only made him a hotter commodity.

The Astros likely don't have deep enough pockets to make a competitive run at Beltran, who figures to be courted by big-market teams such as the New York Yankees, Chicago Cubs and Boston Red Sox. Beltran could command at least $15 million a year for six or seven years.

"He's in the catbird seat," Hunsicker said. "He can go wherever he wants to go. The city's done all it could to show their love and support for him. The Hispanic community has been unbelievable. They know our interest, and we're going to have to follow their script."

Beltran, 27, maintains he will give the Astros consideration.

"I had a good time here, the fans were great with us, and being on a team that was in the playoffs was a great experience for me, and I really want to do it again," he said.

The Astros have a $9 million option next year on Kent, who hit .289 with 27 homers and 107 RBIs. Kent's range has deteriorated, and he's battled aches and pains, but he's productive.

"I think this organization has done some great things over the last two years," Kent, 36, said. "I'd like to come back, but the Astros need to find out what they want to do first. I went in knowing I was going to play here for two years. The option was a way to stretch the deal, maybe hide a little bit of money.

"That's where we're at. I enjoyed playing for Gerry, I love the character of Drayton McLane and the fact he opened up his pocketbook to have such a great season this year. We'll see where it leads me."

Clemens, 42, followed teammate Andy Pettitte in signing with the Astros last offseason and went 18-4 to become a Cy Young Award candidate. In an interview on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio on Friday, Clemens wouldn't rule out returning.

"I have got to leave that percentage point open. ... " he said. "I don't know if I have the wherewithal, (but) I know I could pitch another two to three years if I made my mind up and I committed to it. I don't know if I want to put my body through that.

"My two older (boys) are getting older, and they're going to be out the door. And the other underlying factor is my mother's health. I want my mother to be there when I go into the Hall of Fame."

Pettitte said he will try to lure Clemens back.

"If we've got Roger Clemens, we've got a lot better chance to get back right here," he said.

The club has a $3 million option on Biggio, who slumped near the end of the season and struggled defensively after moving to left field to make room for Beltran in center. Biggio, 38, wants to return to the Astros for his 18th season.

"There's no doubt about it," he said. "I love Houston and have been here my whole career. It doesn't happen that a lot of people get the opportunity to spend your whole career in one place. I have good feelings it will work out."

Infielder Jose Vizcaino, outfielder Orlando Palmeiro and pitcher Dan Miceli can also file for free agency; 20-game winner Roy Oswalt and outfielder Lance Berkman will be due raises in arbitration. Wade Miller, who missed the second half of the season with a shoulder injury and underachieving pitchers Tim Redding and Brandon Duckworth are also eligible for arbitration.

"More times than not, free-agent issues drift farther into the offseason," Hunsicker said. "The two option issues are foremost on our plate, and we've got to decide what we want to accomplish in the offseason, what the goal is."

Meanwhile, the coaching staff has been given permission to look for other jobs because of the uncertainty in the managerial situation. That doesn't include hitting coach Gary Gaetti or pitching coach Jim Hickey, whom the Astros would like to keep in the organization.

"If someone's not going to have a job here, they don't want them to get caught without a job," third-base coach Gene Lamont said.

Lamont said he would place some calls but would like to return to the Astros. Bench coach John Tamargo also would like to remain

"I really would like to stay in this organization," he said.

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

:rolleyes: .... Drayton is gonna offer Beltran a 15 million dollar contract maybe 16.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I agree, however, I think it's gonna have to be a backloaded contract. We just have to hope that Beltran agrees to that.

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I think Drayton saw the type of Draw and attention Beltran had and he hasn't had that since the Biggio and Bagwell of 94. Not only did it help fill seats in the stadium but it brought a buzz back into Houston.

This year we had Pettite and Clemens to create a buzz and sell tickets. If we can get clemens back this year and actually sign Beltran not only does the city gain but so does Drayton.

He is going to have to spend the money to keep a name like Beltran here so he can make money as well. What happens then is that the city basically will see just about the same team on the field and know what that team acomplished and will come to more games and it will make him more money. Nice little chain effect and i think it will be the wise decesion for Drayton. Who else is he going to go get that will fill the seats this coming year. No one really.

He already did that in the post season and i don't think his value has gone anywhere if he even gets a spot on a spring training roster he should be happy afte having 3 losses in the post season.

5. fya

fya Member

If the cubs get beltran, I will no longer support the Stros. Mclane has to whatever he can to keep this from happening.

6. Stack24

If by any chance he went to a division rival such as the Cubs...he better know that he will loose all fan support in this town. I am sure Drayton is hearing it right now from Hunsincker about it and knows what kind of impact signing a guy like Beltran is.

At the same time they know full well if they don't sign him they are going to have some major issues on hand. They better hope if they do loose him..he goes back to the American League cause i don't want to face the guy.

Not only that...that will leave no player on the market that the Astros can get in free agency that will create a buzz and sell tickets.....Think about that Drayton.

7. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Everyone will blame Drayton if Beltran leaves, but it's not that easy. I quarantee you that Drayton will make him an offer comparable to that of the Cubs, Sox, and Yankees, it's just going to come down to where Beltran wants to play for the next 5 years. If he doesn't want to come back to Houston ala Randy Johnson, there really isn't anything Drayton can do.

8. Stack24

That is true, but he better make an offer that is comparable as well as let the media and fans of houston know that he has, so it shows that it is out of his hands and the choice of Bletran. That way they can't come down hard on him as they would normally do.

I really think a key factor in the signing is Brosus, his agent, if he gets rid of him and really does go somewhere that he likes...as he said about houston then it would be a dream come true.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Scott Boras is his agent, Scott Brosius was the third basemen for the Yankees during their World Series championships. :D

But I agree with you otherwise.

10. Stack24

yeah i know it was Boras or something like that...but i wasn't referring to Brosius either lol :D