1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Francis Seeks Stability in Life, Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox_fan_here, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

is that supposed to be funny? .....cuz its not....its stupid

2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

No Kidding. WRONG FORUM

3. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Member

i wish we had him for SG strictly for driving purposes... if he was back over here he would have a time limit on how long he holds onto the ball...man that would solve our scoring problem :p but seriously, i hope he actually means it when he says hes more mature...cause if not then say good bye to his playing time.

ps WTF hes 29 already? geezus..

4. kennyc05

kennyc05 Member

still got respect for that man he came in and him and cuttino brought a lot of excitement to the the city and u have to consider he was just a kid when he came to houston

5. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

He acted and felt as though he was an INCREDIBLE player but had very little success to back that up. He has had even less after he left. If superstars are judged by their success, then he is not a superstar. He had lots of skills but little Basketball judgment. Often he just dribbled the cover off the ball and threw it to Cato with the shot clock all the way down....

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

AT LEAST he played his hardest and with his heart. maybe he did ball hog, but at least he tried his hardest everygame. some basketball players just don't care for the game or the team *cough* swift *cough* BUT HE DID. you have to give respect for that at least. anyone that plays their hardest for houston should be respected.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

First off, I admit Arenas is one of my favorite players. So maybe I'm biased. But comparing SF to Arenas is a joke. He is NOTHING like him. Arenas is an incredibly hard worker who is completely dedicated to improving his basketball skills. He's a perfectionist and is almost maniacal about practicing and improving. SF is far from that. That's why last season at age 23/24, Arenas is already way better than SF could ever dream of being.

SF had a lot of hype coming out of college but he didn't have the heart and dedication it took to make himself a superstar. Arenas has that heart. Playing hard is great. But not improving oneself off the court (and stubborness) will be part of SF's legacy for me. To say he should be everything Arenas is now, is wrong. A while ago someone else implied the basic difference between the two is outside shooting. That is also very wrong. It's like saying Stromile Swift should be Amare Stoudemire. Ain't no way.

I'm sure a couple of SF fans will fire back.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

OOookay now, fella. FIRST off on your original point, Steve....haha j/k
    I'll always have at least a little appreciation for Steve. First couple years he brought a brand of exhuberance and style and had fun, which he should do. Can't blame him for that. He didnt show much improvement when it was time to step it up and and "turn the corner" and his boneheaded play for a point guard deserved criticism. Okay, him and Mobley were clowns and it was frustrating....still maybe my memory's failing but I thought it took having a Tmac on the trading block to have him sent off still? (or Van Gundy secretly desired the high IQ (old) player). I still wish him well, just not against Houston :)

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Really... this should be in GARM.

10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I feel sorry for the guy.....if he didn't make 14 million a year. That, if anything else, would give ANYONE else "stability."

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I still can't believe we got TMac for him and Cat. The Magic got the expiring contract of Penny Hardaway and Doug Christie.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

Good article...I'd love to have him back, minus the mistakes, but hell, who do we have now that's better...no one...

13. A-Train

A-Train Member

Actually, this doesn't belong in GARM as long as Francis is still playing. The Tracy Murray rule only applies to players that are retired, at least that's my interpretation...

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i have to agree, this is the same article from last season. we'll see. I defend francis obviously, but when he wouldn't go back in that game, I lost a lot of hope for him. the sad part is that he actually got off to a good start last season.

15. redgoose

redgoose Member

Stevie definantly gave it all he got and left it all on the court, including more turnovers than assists. But him and Cat did make it exciting to watch because he was on the top 10 plays every other night of the week. They may of been around a .500 team, but they were exciting just wondering what they would do or who they would upset next. Also, we still had the scapegoat in MoT to gripe about every night.

What more could you ask for besides the playoffs? :(

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

With Zeke coaching, we'll see what came over his insane mind when he pulled the trigger on the trade.