1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Feigen: Francis to Houston, not going to happen.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Feb 19, 2006.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Check the very first reply after that post. It just so happens to be me, completely incredulous over what Feigen was suggesting. That was the first time that I really questioned Feigen's grasp of the business side of the NBA. He's usually much better than that.

2. sun12

sun12 Member

The top of the top teams in the NBA are not running teams: Pistons, Spurs. Mavericks just switched their philosophy to defense and let go their perfect running mate, Steve Nash.

But the top teams can run with the running teams because they have personnel to control the tempo of the game: a great PG, and a group of players who can grab rebounds and get to the loose balls.

If you can control the tempo, opposing teams will be at your mercy whether or not they run or not.

3. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

You know what's really funny, all of the assumptions Feigen made about TMAC in that article turned out to be false. The part about him "not working hard enought to prevent his back problems". The reason his back gave out on him this season was the load he put on it during the summer working out.

4. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

One big problem with this is that you are giving up 3 of our guards, all of which have/could play point for a bit. At this point, you're only leaving Stevie and TMac to run the guard spot in place of Alston, and that's something the Roxs have been trying to avoid. It tires our TMac, and Francis plays much better at the two, as we're all aware of. We already got rid of Mooch, and that means we have very little insurance at the point if anyone gets hurt. JB isn't an option for running the point. So I'm not sure giving up 3 PGs (after already dumping Mooch) is such a good idea.

That being said, I would LOVE to see Franchise back in a Roxs uni!

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

If true, this article realizes my worst fears. While the title leads one to believe Feigen will dismiss the possibilities of a Francis trade, it's only his own shoddy logic and opinion which brings him to this conclusion. The real nugget, if true, is that the Rockets would welcome Francis back - my worst fear.

His assertion that it won't happen is otherwise irrelevant because he uses the same logic which led him to dismiss the possibility of a McGrady trade 2 years ago. Not to mention the fact that when listing our bait in trade, he conveniently failed to leave out expiring contracts and draft picks.

Why am I starting to get the feeling that they are going to put this thing together and bring this guy back? Did we learn nothing during his tenure here? I can't think of a single player in the NBA (taking salary into consideration) who would be a worse fit on this team. You know that feeling when your team is about to bring in a big name and your mind tells you it's not a good idea but you're still excited because you want it to work so desperately? Yeah....that feeling isn't there at all right now. It's more nausea.

Some of you guys take revisionist history to another level. Running? Do you not recall when Dallas would trap us full court forcing the game into a marathon? Steve Francis was at his absolute worst. He thrives in a slow it down, grind it out half court system where he can dominate the ball - ironic because those of you who are constantly b****ing about Van Gundy's system and saying we need to run are probably the same people who want Steve back.

The guy can't shoot, pass, or defend. $13 million for heart? No thanks, I'll just wait it out until Bobby Sura comes back next year.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If JVG did want to get Francis back, I would really question his intelligence. What sense does it make financially and basketball-wise? Why do you want 3 max contracts on yout team? What role players are you going to build around them?

And how do you want to play Francis? PG? You can kiss any fastbreak game goodbye. SG? You think Wesley is not enough of a defensive problem? Bench? A Franchise 6th man actually sounds pretty cool. :D

7. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

Agree with your analysis. But I am excited that we have an owner that is willing to take on an additional 13-14 million in salary. If that is true, we really have to be selective on who exactly we bring in. If the right player is not available, be patient. We should be focusing on upgrading our SG position with that extra salary burden ala ray allen (I know that is not realistic, but someone who is comparable)

8. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Team Chemistry (all chemistry for that matter, I hate my pool) be d@mned.

I want the Franchise back!

imho, you do this deal every day of the week and twice on Sunday. We want to win NOW (this or next season) and stockpiling a high pick (that we'd likely screw up anyway) will not help us anymore than a trailing franchise on the fast break.

The Franchise, with all of his faults, is still a guy that can drop a triple double any night of the week. He'd be a helluva player as a third wheel for TMAC and Yao. It would be amazing to have all three. In essence, it would be a trip back in time, whereby we trade CAT and CATO for TMAC and JHO, ROUGHLY, straight up. No matter who they would pull together to land franchise would not have his equivalent, near-term, impact to the Rockets.

BTW, I'm fine with Bush or Young. :D

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I love Francis to death but given our situation, he's simply not a risk worth taking. He's not a Kobe, KG, Ray Allen, etc kind of star player that you KNOW would fit in. The fact of the matter is he's a borderline superstar that we overpayed. If he was on an Artest like deal I would be all about bringing him back. But fortunately, and I emphasize fortunately, we don't have to live with overpaying him.

Francis is a $14 M question mark. The only way I would do this deal is if Orlando would accept some garbage and take Howard back along with Wesley's expiring deal. Sure, they could get a lot more for Francis but that's the only way I would pull the trigger on any deal like that.

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The most intrigring part of this article is the continued mantra being brandished by the Rockets that they want to run. How does a team centered around Yao develop into an effective running team?

There is also an interesting article in the Chronicle today about the death of the post-up game, due to the new rules in the NBA.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think the most important question people are not asking: "Is Stevie worth his contract?"

It's an important question because he makes max money, and although two years ago most people would have said yes, now I'm not so sure.

My hunch is that most teams don't think he's worth the max. IF that's the case, someone is going to get him for a few expiring contracts, a late draft pick, and some young role-play talent.

Wesley, Head, a late draft pick, and our trade exception seem to fit that criteria. (Swift is also someone to look at).

Personally, I think Franchise is worth the max. He's a 20/7/7 guy, and there's not too many of those. His confidence is at an all time low, but I really belive that hasn't been comfortable since leaving Houston, and that if he comes back here, he can regain his old form.

He used to be a pretty good shooter, and he has the athleticism to be a decent defender. You know he's going to give you 110%, and he gives you more versitility in the backcourt in case Altston goes down with another injury. I think it helps chemistry, and I think that it gives us another option for taking over the game. ie. T-Mac is having an off game, and Yao is in foul trouble, but the Franchise is hot right now.

I have to admit, I like a backcourt of Alston/Franchise. A lot of versitility. Bring a dead eye shooter off the bench, and our backcourt is set.

#31 Aruba77, Feb 19, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Can something impossible happen? Only in bizzaroworld. Therefore, with the Rockets, it is a possibility. If it does, this team will go into full soap opera mode. Wait, the team is already in full soap opera mode. TMac is experiencing some mysterious personal problems and CD and JVG are not speaking to each other. Then Moochie will come back in a trade for Cato. Les will marry Turbo. And JVG will bring in another ex-Knick assistant before he is replaced by Calvin. The team will then miss the lottery by one game, but not make the playoffs. The team will be moved to Vegas and Second Baptist will buy the Toyota Center and make it into a homeless mission.

Laugh if you will, but it could happen.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Francis said that he thought the system in Orlando was 200% better than with JVG. I don't think he will be able to run with Yao. He can score but he needs the ball all the time and also will commit many turnovers.
    I don't think he is a good fit for us.

14. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

The crux of Feigen's article is that the Magic can probably find a deal for Francis that's better than anything being offered by Houston. That may be true, but I'm not so sure. If there's a good deal out there for the Magic, wouldn't they have taken it by now?

What can the Nuggets offer? Kenyon Martin? Too much money. Nene and Watson? Nene's injured and soon to be a FA, and Orlando already has three PGs besides Steve.

Are the Lakers offering Odom? Why would they trade big for small? Is Francis that much better than Odom? Isn't Odom a better triangle player?

Can the Wolves offer more than Houston? I doubt it.

Seattle might put some interesting pieces together, but would Steve be happy playing for another small-market loser?

The Knicks could make a competitive offer, but I don't think they're offering anything better than what the Roxs have to give. The lack of a draft pick to offer really hurts them.

Steve has a huge contract, character issues, and he's not capable of carrying a team. I doubt that fabulous offers are rolling in for him. I bet he can be had for cheap and I'd like to see the Roxs get in on that action.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I love francis but him coming back here would be a mistake
    for him

The second he steps on the court in a rocket uniform
    that means Tmac could go 2-30
    and Yao could fumble every pass. . .
    and
    everyone would still find a way to blame Francis

When Francis throws the ball to a wide open player that delivers a brick
    he didn't 'pass it the right way'
    When Tmac does the same thing .. . that guy is a chucker and just sorry

I don't think the 'fans'
    [mainly just represented by the folx on this site]
    would not embrace Stevie. . . maybe the casual fans
    but not the die hard haters here

Rocket River

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'd like to see it happen.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Didn't Peter Aldridge er I mean David Vecsey oh, anyway -- seems to debunk the new starting '1' quote!

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Me too; the guy always played hard. He's bound to get smarter on the court after a couple of seasons of humility following his All-Star starting birth-- can you believe that?

19. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

I'd like to see it happen so that my Francis jerseys would be worth something again! :cool:

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

;)
    Try a signed jersey, basketball and 150 rookie cards. :)