1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Ex-players Smith and Barry lead non-believers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Mar 15, 2008.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5621848.html

TV analysts still haven't bought into Rockets
    Ex-players Smith and Barry lead non-believers

Since former Rockets guard Kenny Smith lives in Los Angeles and works in Atlanta, his only contact with Texas these days is from 30,000 feet in the air as he commutes from the West Coast for his weekly stint on TNT's Inside the NBA.

So, it's asking a bit much for Smith, from six miles up, to drink in the euphoric vapors that waft into the ether from Rockets fans celebrating the team's 21-game win streak.

This is not to say, of course, that Smith isn't impressed with his former team or that he isn't intrigued by their chances for their first playoff series victory since 1997.

"Go Rockets," Smith said Thursday night. "I'm not saying I believe in them, but go Rockets."

For those who haven't gulped the red-and-white vapors, however, it's not hard to grasp the skepticism that a Rockets team absent injured center Yao Ming can succeed in the postseason.

Doubts continue
    "What they've done is a really good accomplishment," Smith said. "It's a great accomplishment. Forget good.

"But without Yao Ming, I believe that the Rockets are a playoff team but not a contender. Without Yao, you go from a team to beat to a team that has to beat people."

This, the Rockets have been able to do as of late, carrying their win streak, second-longest in NBA history, into a nationally televised game Sunday against the Lakers, whose 1971-72 team holds the NBA record of 33 consecutive regular-season victories.

They have benefited from improved play by Tracy McGrady and Luis Scola, plus the new offense installed by coach Rick Adelman and the defensive mindset instilled by former coach Jeff Van Gundy, who will call Sunday's game for ABC (in addition to the network broadcast on KTRK, Channel 13, the game also will air on KTXH, Channel 20).

Smith cites all of the above, plus the backcourt work of Luther Head and Rafer Alston, in the Rockets' current run. But he can't get past the obvious when addressing the playoffs.

"With a contender, the holes are few and far between," he said. "You have to search to find something wrong with the Spurs or the Detroit Pistons. When you talk about the Rockets, though, you have to say that without Yao Ming, they do not have an inside presence. And they haven't been out of the first round.

"There are a lot of variables that have to be answered, and the Rockets could answer them. But on a contender, that list is very short. If Yao is on this team, ... it's a contender. It's that simple. It's no disrespect to the Rockets. It's respect for what Yao brings to the table. He makes things easier for his team because of his ability."

To establish the Rockets as a true playoff contender without Yao would be the same as establishing the Spurs as a contender without Tony Parker or Tim Duncan, Smith said.

"You lose your most valuable player, how can you be a contender?" he said.

Playoffs different animal
    ESPN/ABC analyst Jon Barry, a former Rocket of more recent vintage, agreed that a record regular-season run has no bearing on potential playoff success.

"They haven't shown anything yet," he said. "It's a tremendous run, but it doesn't mean a can of beans until you do something in the playoffs. Show something in the playoffs, and maybe people will believe."

Barry, for the moment, prefers to focus on the impact that Adelman has had on the Rockets' offense and Van Gundy's holdover impact on the team's defense.

"Rick has put in barely 10 percent of his system, and that's what makes him a great coach. He doesn't impose his system. He adapts to what he has," Barry said.

"You also have to credit (Van Gundy). They have maintained their defensive mentality. They are still a defensive team. That is still their identity."

Joel Meyers calls Texans preseason games on Channel 13, so he's spent more time in Houston as of late than have Barry or Smith. He will visit Sunday, however, in his regular role as the Lakers' local television voice, and, he, too, is admiring but reserved in his forecast of the Rockets' prospects.

"You want to play your best ball over the last two or three weeks of the season so you can put yourself in a good position for the playoffs, because, in the NBA, it's all about matchups," he said.

2. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

ehh we shall see what happens. I just laugh though sometimes

3. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Criticism is good. Hopefully the players will read about it and even play harder. Its kind of nice to see some ppl that are still not on the bandwagon.

4. Ready

Ready Member

this is so crazy...

everyone believes in an amazing team..

but we can't fathom a championship quite yet.

should we just throw in the towel and get a great lottery pick and wait for next year?

5. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I'm down.

You want to tell McGrady, Adelman, and the rest of the team that? Oh and you want to tell Yao that the team quit without him? What a bunch of teammates he'd have then...

You break the news. :D

6. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with their analysis at all. They were not asked about the streak, but specifically about the Rockets' chances in the playoffs. And we all know that regular-season success doesn't always translate into playoff success (see Seattle Sonics 1994, Detroit Pistons 2006, and Dallas Mavericks 2007). Yes, maybe they can be a little more positive. But the bottom line is that there's nothing wrong with doubting the Rockets' chance as a "Championship" contender.

Let me ask: is there a team out there right now that is a clear-cut favorite to win the title? Or even close to this? I don't think so. I have doubts about every single team. So it's only natural that they would, too.

What irks me is always having to tie in an accomplishment with something other than the accomplishment itself. Look at the Spurs. People actually downgrade their championships because they haven't done it "back to back." Look at all the flak we get for winning w/o Jordan in the league. Back in the day, it was "If Magic and Byron Scott weren't injured, the Pistons wouldn't have won." What is ironic is that the Lakers are immune to all this.

The media is generally a group of lazy, intellectually dishonest individuals who care more about their opinion than the "thing" itself. And they'll be virtually worthless when all is said and done.

Quick: name 3 champions from the 1980s in the NBA.
    Now, name 3 sports critics from that time period.

See? Useless.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we're still getting that crap from traitors on this board. :mad:

8. tsunami

tsunami Member

Damn, I never know that Kenny Smith is such a Yao fan. I used to think he look down at Yao, just like his buddy, the notorious Yao hater Charles...

9. as_sstomper

as_sstomper Member

Why do they (doubters) all have to talk about us winning a championship? Dangit cant we all just enjoy this run we are on, cuz it has gotten the whole city involved in our Rox again.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Because it allows them to hate on the Rockets without acknowledging the historical nature of the streak.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

another wrong assumption
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v95Dw6xvepQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v95Dw6xvepQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't have a problem with people questioning our championship possibilities, but respect what we're doing now instead of constantly criticizing and harping on what we haven't done yet.

right now, we're on a 21-game winning streak and are tied for the #1 f#$king seed in arguably the most competitive western conference of all time. shut up about the playoffs and recognize this team and what it's doing.

13. Fatty FatBastard

Honestly, to anyone who doesn't understand Kenny? You're an idiot. He wants HIS Rockets team to be the best ever... with him being an integral part.

I don't recall Staubach saying that the 90's Cowboys were that good, either.

Let Kenny live in what he has, and Charles doesn't. It is, after all, only human nature that you would want to be on what you consider to be a great team.

14. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

kenny smith, and other unbelievers have their place reserved in the lake of fire :)

15. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

What they are saying is spot on. But I think the Rockets can erase some of that if they sweep the next 5 :)

16. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I dont have anything against what the media is saying. I dont think that the Rox should get anymore or less than what they have achieved. That is the beauty of the situation. The spurs have made it out of the first round so have the suns and jazz. The lakers have their first post scoring presence since shaq left. I would rather the media talk the Rox down than up.

As long as they continue to do so players will continue to feel compelled to prove them wrong. All the teams that have won around the same amount of games in a row as the Rox have been favored contenders at some point or another.

As far as the media is concerened the Rockets are just a team with a underachieving superstar and a bunch of over achieving role players.

And that is just fine with me.... :D

Rock on Rockets!!!!

17. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

nah, it's the same kenny. i bet he still doesn't think yao's as great as you or other **** think he is... but it doesn't mean yao can't be the mvp of this team.

18. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

ever since yao wished kenny happy birthday, he became a fan

19. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

The funniest part about Kenny's comments is that this team is sort of like the teams he was on the won two rings. One superstar and bunch of role player nobodies who played hard every night and helped the team win. :confused:

For whatever reason there seems to be a lot of negative baggage with ex-rocket players (i.e. Kenny, Charles, etc). Its like someone pee'd in their cheerios or something... :rolleyes:

20. mag

mag Contributing Member

Big difference!! That team had Olajuwon and in the playoffs inside presence is a lot more important than a good wing player.

I think this team has done something amazing but I agree with the critics that we might struggle in the playoffs.

Actually if we go 3 - 2 in the next five games, I will give this team a better chance in the playoffs.