1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Dorsey ready to answer the call

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 4, 2010.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lock if already posted, thanks.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6850050.html

[rquoter]The call Joey Dorsey had waited so long to hear finally came.

But he didn't move. No way. He knew better.

Dorsey had finally been summoned to check into a game, the first time he would play meaningful minutes in an NBA contest. But Dorsey kept himself parked on the Rockets bench.

“I thought it was some of the guys on the team playing a joke, trying to get me to run up there and check in,” Dorsey said of the order to get in the game Sunday against the Phoenix Suns. “I waited for a couple seconds to go by, then coach screamed it again. I was so excited, I ran up there and almost took my jersey off when I took my warmup off.”

Dorsey was not being overly cautious. As a rookie, he was scammed by former teammate Rafer Alston. And he had reason to be doubtful. His only NBA playing time in two seasons has been three two-minute cameos mopping up routs.

But against the Suns, Rockets coach Rick Adelman wanted another defensive option against Amar'e Stoudemire and said Monday he thought he would mix in Dorsey in more games.

Homecoming of sorts

Dorsey did not play Tuesday against the perimeter-oriented Warriors until another stint to close out a rout. But when the Rockets play in Memphis Friday, Dorsey could return to his college town as an option against the large and physical front line of the Grizzlies.

“I'm playing really well in practice, trying to dominate on the defensive end and be productive on offense,” Dorsey said. “Playing against Carl (Landry) and (Luis) Scola, I think I'm doing pretty well at being a defensive presence down low.

“It's really big going back home to the same arena where I played college ball. That would be big if I can play a couple minutes.”

The next step

It would represent another step in a long climb back from the disappointments of his first two seasons in the NBA. Dorsey had grown so frustrated by his inability to crack the Rockets' rotation and eventual return to the NBA Development League he considered giving up the game.

“I started doubting myself a lot,” Dorsey said. “My first year I got hurt (with plantar fasciitis) and had to sit out the whole year. Then this year came up and I thought I played pretty well in the preseason. And then I got sent down to the D-League. I almost gave up.”

Instead, he improved. Dorsey was told to reduce mistakes, fouls and turnovers, rebound, follow the defensive game plan, especially on pick-and-rolls, and run the floor. Tracy McGrady told him to “go down there with a positive attitude and try to dominate.”

Dorsey dominated enough to be named to the NBA Development League All-Star game and show Rockets coaches he did improve.

“I thought it was a good experience for him,” Rockets assistant coach Jack Sikma said. “I thought his focus is better. I think he is more efficient on the court with his actions.”

For Dorsey, learning those responsibilities was the biggest adjustment from Memphis to the NBA, where a center is expected to anchor a defense.

“It's the same as the point guard running the show (offensively),” Sikma said.

“He's the one who has to know how to handle that on the defensive end. You have to be in the right place.

Trusting his ability

Most of all, Dorsey got his confidence back. Next time he is called to get in the game, he won't be surprised.

“I came in a guy that played a lot in college,” Dorsey said. “Then you come into the NBA thinking you're going to play a lot more, and you don't play a lot your first year. Second year, you go to the D-League.

“Once I got down to the D-League and I started playing, my confidence starting coming back and I started falling in love with the game again.”[/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

In the legendary words of Mark Madson

Yeeaaaahhh!!!

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ray Lewis with a Price Scanner!

1 person likes this.
  4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Tracy McGrady saved Joey Dorsey. You know, like a great teammate should. :cool:

5. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

I was wondering what if McGrady had gotten sent down to the D-League, would he have had a positive attitude towards what'd happened to him? :grin:

Sometimes it's just easier said than done.

6. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

interesting that you say that. I was actually thinking about why the Rockets wouldnt give him like a tryout in RGV. Give him more playing time within the same system and see how he does. I'm sure McGrady wouldnt like that, but it would be a good way to tell him "you wanna play minutes, we want you to get back in game shape, go play in RGV and bring your game up to speed."

But i dont think that would even be possible. I remember hearing something about how players after a certain age/years experience in the NBA cant be sent to the team's D-League affiliate?? Is that right or am i totally off???

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

LOL So that is why he stood around instead of running in and ended up wasting a time out... :rolleyes:

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Yea too bad he never takes his own advice...

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Joey Dorsey played in College while Tmac's brother sat on the bench.

Now he plays in the NBA and sits on the bench while Tmac doesn't even show up for the games.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Right. McGrady cannot go to the D-League. Too old, too many years.

11. mortiki85

mortiki85 Member

I hope that Dorsey does get more playing time and does well with it, I want to see him control that paint.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

hells yeah time for me to get the Dorsey jersey out of storage

13. lastreg

lastreg Member

Are we really tanking?

14. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

The Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and the union prohibits players with more than two seasons of NBA experience from being sent down to the NBA's Development League. Only rookies and second-year players can be assigned there, and then, they can only be sent down a total of three times a season.

1 person likes this.
  15. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Take a look at the standings then ask yourself agian. Do you really think we will catch up to Minnasota or even fall behind the Clippers?

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It would be nice if Dorsey proves he has the talent to be a rotational player. All he has to do is earn a few minutes a game and he becomes one more second round steal by Morey.

17. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

At this point, anybody is better than David Andersen manning the middle and looking lost boxing out.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I say give this guy SIGNIFICANT minutes and see what he can do. Very hard to diplay any of your skills 3 minutes a game.

Dorsey looked so robotic in the Suns game, probably very unlikely the way he played in college. He needs to freaking chill out and let the game come to him. In other words, he needs to regain the confidence he had in college where he was a defensive standout.

If this is truly an experimental year, then let Dorsey play. It is not as if we are having a rebound/shot-block party anyway.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

unleash the beast.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UAyh23l1mx4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UAyh23l1mx4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>