1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]: "Dorsey out to prove naysayers wrong"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketshopeful, Jul 6, 2008.

1. rocketshopeful

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5873741.html

"Rugged Dorsey out to prove naysayers wrong

By STEVE CAMPBELL
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
    TOOLS

Daryl Morey doesn't care if he receives a spur-of-the-moment A or a knee-jerk F.

Morey hates instant NBA draft analysis.

After all those months of homework, after a painstaking dissection of every prospect from Alexis Ajinca to D.J. White, Morey honestly doesn't know what the Rockets will get out of their 2008 draft class. He doubts anybody else does, either, regardless of how loudly or emphatically they may declare to the contrary.

''It's like getting the grade for a class the first day you walk in the door," Morey said.

Nonetheless, an interested bystander couldn't resist offering an opinion.

''I think you get an A," Joey Dorsey said. ''I think you did great."

The Rockets parlayed the No. 25 and No. 54 picks of the June 26 draft into Syracuse forward Donté Greene, Oregon forward Maarty Leunen, a No. 2 pick in 2009 and a certain big-bodied forward from Memphis. Dorsey's endorsement moved Morey to say, ''I think he gave me a better grade than he ever got in Memphis."

All Dorsey could do was laugh and say, ''You got me."

It's not easy to leave Dorsey at a loss for words. Though Dorsey averaged just 6.9 points per game as a senior, he doesn't need any convincing that he belongs in the NBA. Dorsey touts himself as ''Ray Lewis with a basketball" and vows to bring the sort of toughness that just might deter teams from trying to take away the Rockets' lunch money.

With the 6-7, 268-pound Dorsey crashing the boards and creating havoc on defense, Memphis came within an eyelash of winning the 2008 national championship. Morey touts Dorsey, who averaged 9.5 rebounds and 1.9 blocked shots per game as a senior, as ''the best defensive big man in the country." While other players were jacking up shots from behind the 3-point line, Dorsey studied defensive video of Dennis Rodman and Bill Laimbeer.

''I tell a lot of kids: Everybody can't be a Carmelo (Anthony), a LeBron (James)," Dorsey said. ''Play defense. You don't always have to score the ball all the time. Find your niche and play it to a 'T'. Hard work definitely pays off. It paid off for me. I got drafted.

''A lot of people I played with and played against always doubted (me), said I wouldn't be drafted. I wouldn't play in the NBA. I wouldn't get a diploma. I just want to prove a lot of people wrong."

To be sure, Dorsey had a dead-end start to life. He grew up in rugged West Baltimore with no fatherly influence in his life. Violence is so pervasive in those parts, residents refer to it as ''Iraq." Cameras are all over the neighborhood — a noticeable but insufficient attempt to quell the drug dealing.

A mother's love
    ''You ever watch The Wire?" Dorsey said, alluding to the cable series that depicted the harsh life of that section of Baltimore. ''It's worse than that.

''It was hard growing up without a father figure or a positive male role model. So I looked up to my mom, because she was so independent."

Charlene Dorsey wouldn't accept any accolades for that, saying, ''That's what a mother does: She provides for the children."

She forbade her son to play organized sports, fearful that he'd get caught up with the wrong crowd. She held down two restaurant-managing jobs at once while also raising two children, so she couldn't be everywhere.

Dorsey eventually found his way into organized basketball.

At age 17.

''I always told her I was going to the playground to hang on the swings or something," Dorsey said. ''But I was sneaking around trying to become a man."

Dorsey, 24, is the first member of his family to earn a high school diploma. He is just a handful of credits from receiving his degree from Memphis, where coach John Calipari sold him on embracing a role as a Ben Wallace-style defensive stopper.

Dorsey shot 61 percent for the field during his career, a testament to the wonders of the slam dunk. He shot 42 percent from the line, a testament to how raw his offensive skills are when he's not within arm's length of the basket.

''I won't discourage him from dunking and finishing at the rim," Morey said. ''He knows his role. We really think he's the trend with the bigs and defenders in the league. Nobody can really guard a quick perimeter player. Your second defenders have got to be able to stay with them, get to the rim and block their shots. We definitely feel we've got a weapon to combat some of the league trends."

Big man, big plans
    Dorsey would like to assure the Rockets they made a Grade-A pick in the second round. If he is as tough and tenacious as advertised, he'll have a long and prosperous NBA career. He can buy a nice big house and live in a different world than the one that helped make him so tough in the first place.

''That's the plan," Joey Dorsey said, smiling. ''That's the plan." "

A little cliche, but he does seem to have a genuine chip on his shoulder.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Saw this last night -- glad they're just rehashing quotes from a week old press conference. :rolleyes: I've been waiting patiently for some Rocket FA news.. and all I get is an article that should have been written a week ago. Thanks Chron!

3. rocketshopeful

this last line, was my own commentary:

"A little cliche, but he does seem to have a genuine chip on his shoulder."

just wanted to make sure it didn't seem like i was manipulating any original work :)

4. rocketshopeful

that annoyed me a bit as well. I have been trying to dig up any new info I can, chron hasn't been giving much at all. figured there may be a line or 2 in the article that some other members may not have yet known so went ahead a posted it.

5. kwng

kwng Member

Nice article. I hope Dorsey can improve his FT when he is working out with the Rockets.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Based on the FT shooting of everyone not named Yao or Novak last year, I wouldn't count on it.

7. killer instinct

It such a joke this town only has one paper still....Richard Justice is a farce...one day he believes this the next something different.

I got into an email war with him for trying to make a name for himself on espn for his Bonds hatred and I found hard to believe he didn't know and wouldn't write about the suspicious morphing of Bagwell. Then came along Clemens....that guy should not be voting for Hall of Famers....I hope he isn't!

8. alethios

alethios Member

Didn't Ben Wallace shoot something like low 50's for % from the FT line when he was with the Pistons? Joey, if he does his job right, won't have to go to the FT line that often. The only scenario I can see, which I hate, is playing hack-a-shaq toward the end of the game. Coaches should pull that from their play books.

alethios

9. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

it sounds wrong, hack-a-dorsey.... Only think worse than that is hack the donkey.

Anyway, i doubt dorsey will be playing at the final few minutes of any game, so that can be postpone till dorsey really plays like Big Ben. Which i doubt.

10. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

kind of OT but Rafer was incredabliy clutch when it comes to crunch time free-throw shooting. he almost always came through when the game is on the line and hes the one shooting.

11. alethios

alethios Member

Big Ben: rebound, block shots, defend the low post
    JD: rebound, block shots, defend the low post

I don't know but I'm thinking he'll be just as good or better than Ben because he can run faster. Give him a couple of years. We've needed a shutdown guy in the low post ever since Hakeem left. I'm feelin pretty good about this guy.

alethios

12. poprocks

poprocks Member

He'll be great

in the NBDL

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I feel really confident that Dorsey will make the roster, and I for one am excited to have him on our team. I hate how rough and dirty opposing big men play Yao. I'll be glad to have Dorsey to come out and show them what it means to play tough. 6 hard fouls from a man who benches 345 lbs. So far as I'm concerned, if his defense is good, there is always a place for that.

14. alethios

alethios Member

true - he may foul out long before that :D

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Wow, this kid is 24 already?

So, he and Greene are both from B-More?

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sounds like this kid had a tough path to the NBA (I guess a lot of them do). I wish him well and hope he does well for our Rockets.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

So is Buddy Baker paying you per post? :p

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I love this type of attitude although I still think between Dorsey, Hayes & Harris there's only room for one of them on this roster.

19. poprocks

poprocks Member

This dude hasn't played one minute in the NBA. I'm not going to sign off on this guy simply because he's athletic. He can jump but he's a Shaquille O'Neil from the charity stripe. Maybe he'll make it maybe he won't. Right now at best I'll say he's like Ian Mahinmi and he plays in the NBDL.

20. poprocks

poprocks Member

This is exactly right. Let the battle for survival begin at the summer leagues.