1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Don't rule out a trade despite Rockets' recent run

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 14, 2014.

1. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

could see something like, Gordon to Bucks, Asik to Pelicans, Morrow and Ilyasova to Rockets.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

that would be a sick deal for us. Morrow is shooting 48% from 3 right now. And Ersan is a career 40% 3 pt shooter. Can you say ...instant offense with this trade! This would be huge.

3. Stepping Razor

That would make sense, but I don't see Morey pulling the trigger on that. Could fit into the 2-3 year window and would surely improve the team so I see where you're coming from..

4. basketballholic

That's way too short-sighted. Milwaukee would probably move Ersan out at this point for a second rounder and cap relief. So, I suspect we could get Ersan without giving up Asik. And if we are going to actually trade for Irsan and Milwaukee wants a player....they need a point guard much worse than they need a big. Lin for Ersan works just fine and it also saves Milwaukee around $9-$10 million.

Ersan's contract is one-year too long for us. However, I am confident if we traded Lin for him that we could get his trade value back to a plus in a short time. He's a great fit at the 4 for us.

Of course that is.....IF we didn't flip Ersan elsewhere while parking Lin in Milwaukee. Ilyasova and Asik are the Turkish Tandem. Ersan, Asik, and Lin could all 3 be flipped the Knicks (who don't care about luxury tax) for Tyson Chandler, Iman Shumpert, Raymond Felton, and a couple of minimum salary players. Those players coming from the Knicks could then be divied up elsewhere, including Tyson Chandler possibly going to PHX for Okafor's contract and a first rounder.

There is a synergy between Lin/Ilyasova and the Knicks that should be explored.

1 person likes this.
  5. Raven

Raven Member

If the Heat trade Wade and the Heat don't repeat, they would never live it down, but there is an interesting aspect to this unconfirmed rumor within an unconfirmed rumor. Didn't Diva hint that he'd like more shots? Something about being jealous of other players on other teams? Perhaps the Heat think ditching Wade removes Diva's real interest in free agency, the chance to be the undisputed number one scoring option again? If so, a package involving Assik and Lin might be very enticing to them. They would demand more, of course, and Morey would say no, but that might open the door for a three way trade where Assik/Lin go to Miami, Wade goes somewhere else, and we get??? In the end, though, I think there is little chance that Morey wants Wade, not with those gigantic player options that he has for the next two years after this, and that's perfectly OK by me, since I think trading for Wade would be worse than trading for Rondo.

Bosh is the more likely target, but I feel the same way about him, too much money.

6. basketballholic

I've mentioned Asik/Lin for Bosh being an ideal trade for both sides. The problem with either team doing the trade however is the fear that they make the other the better team. If I were Morey I wouldn't do an Asik/Lin for Bosh trade simply because I would fear that Lebron/Wade/Lin/Asik would be better than Harden/Parsons/Dwight/Bosh.

A Bosh for Asik/Lin trade in my opinion would put both teams in the Finals.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He is a huge upgrade over what we have at the PG spot.

I wouldn't give up Parsons though.

8. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

New update from Feigen...

1 person likes this.
  9. quizone

quizone Member

Can someone explain whey is Deng is in the conversation? Felt like he just got traded to Cleaveland yesterday. Is he available already?

10. delishman

delishman Member

CODMAN needs to regain his title as 2014 DEADLINE insider.

11. bamma

bamma Member

would like to get Morrow. I think he is a buy low candidate.

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Hey bud, nah, I don't have any sort of title. I don't claim to be someone like Clutch, Doc, CyberX, Oeilpere, Popeye, the poster who knew about Stevie Franchise or King Drew. In fact, some random emails I've gotten have made me reconsider sharing the simple stuff I hear from a small group of people I know. Aren't Rockets fans supposed to be the coolest? Most of you are, but I am no Woj or Screamin' A Smith in the industry lol.

I just know some people that know some people. We all have ears and people we trust. There are things I know about teams/players/coaches because of these people. Some things before trades, some after.

However, we all know today is the day.

I have some different people than King Drew. But the talks are legit about the "salty attitude" in Celtic's green. I've heard that he's cool with it either way because the Celtics are in the middle of rebuilding and getting over the hump. I do know that there is a major wall in the discussion because the Crybaby wants DM to crash and burn for a change this season. It's like you can't be happy for teams that are doing well without being happy with your own team.

What I've been told is on a lesser scale than what many of you are hoping for. My opinion is that we don't need a MAJOR change, but some tweaks here and there for some toughness, leadership and flexibility. DM likes guys that can play multiple positions and find their own rhythm to accept new roles. As one person posted, some of the best deals are the deals you don't do. DM will take a home run if he has the bases loaded. We want to add to our wolf pack, not take away, from what I've heard. We've got our "MJ," our "Luc Longley" (That's wrong, Dwight is way better, but you get it", and our "Toni KuKoc" on this squad. We're just missing a Scottie (one that doesn't quit or calls people fat) to add to our brotherhood.

There are a few of those out there, but they're rare and sometimes not easily seen.

I've maintained that bruises heal, but sometimes you can only put a band-aid over cuts that become scars. Like a job, you have people that are positive, negative and indifferent to the task. Going into the playoffs, it seems like DM wants everyone focusing on the big picture. You don't have to be in a city driven by celebs to be part of something big. You could be some guys totally under the radar and strike gold by getting into DM's hands.
    ________
    Anyway, I have a long day at work. I'm hoping for the best for the team and our fans. I'll check in and see what's going on. Hopefully some of the emails stop...I'm just your average die-hard Rockets fan.

Love ya'll,
    Cod

13. basketballholic

^^^^

wolfpack, healing cuts, scars? That's Love

14. mightybosstone

At this point, it seems likely that if any trade is to happen, it will be something small to acquire a perimeter wing who can defend and shoot threes. I can imagine Morey swapping a second or future conditional first for somebody whose contract expires at the end of next season, similar to what he's done in the past.

Another development worth mentioning is Peter Vescey's announcement last night that Kevin Love may have already told Flip Saunders he plans to leave Minnesota in 2015. I doubt very seriously Minnesota deals him today, but it's not secret that Morey covets him, and I would not be surprises to see Morey make a push to acquire him in the offseason.

15. dram1

dram1 Member

Hehe...not sure about the Luc Longley v. Dwight comparison...Dwight's game in the post is "terrbal"...
    But I get the feeling you're right about DM wanting to keep the 2015 offseason buying power in tact so he is in tweak (not twerk) mode....although DM twerking would make a hell of a GIF...lol.
    He might need the pieces being talked about going in a Rondo trade in 2015 to do an S&T thing. If we were losing...it would make it more clear that something needs to get done...but DM is faced with trying to improve a top 5 contender. Not impossible...but very delicate surgery.

16. amak316

amak316 Member

I read that Jimmer could be had for a 2nd round pick, with a team that runs an offense like ours this seems to be pretty cheap for a guy that can spread the floor really well.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Parsons in his first playoff series: 18 ppg, 2.7 threes per game, 6.5 boards per game, 3.7 assists per game on 45% from the floor and 40% from deep.

1 person likes this.
  18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That's only 3.5 boards and 6.3 assists from a triple double! (Rondo's benchmark)

Quit being stupid, DVauthrin. Parsons is not Rondo. This issue is price, not the quality of player.

So, someone was saying Dwayne Wade was in trade discussions? I would LOVE to see him show LeBron just the talent he has. Imagine that storyline, Wade gets traded then face LeBron in the playoffs... basketball fan-gasmic experience. I don't care who Wade goes to. Just play the Heat.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So... Codman, any additional info you care to share? What dp all the code words stand for?

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Cool, but I would never advocate giving either of those guys max dollars. Griffin because he doesn't impact the game enough defensively while playing on the interior, and Paul because he's predominantly a distributor, and I'm usually strongly against giving max dollars to a point guard.

Similarly, I would never advocate for giving max dollars to either of those guys. Aldridge is at the low end of guys I would pay the max to but Lillard is nowhere in the vicinity. In the case of LMA I would like more defense from a 4/5 if I'm going to shell out the max, considering his unimpressive TS%.

I actually think the Rockets got it about as right as you can get with their two max guys. That's why I think they shouldn't need that much more to get the team ready for prime time.

Well I would say Harden is as good or better than George and Howard is as good or better than Hibbert (or should be). I'd say David West is way overpaid and Parsons is in the same ballpark as DW as a #3. I thought Scola was overpaid in HOU but West's salary completely dwarfs that. The difference to me seems to be that Indiana recognizes that they can contend right now while Houston for some reason wants to wait until they have an all-star team assembled before they can think about winning at a significant level. How else can you explain Morey's passivity since signing Dwight? It's a little hard for me to understand.

I disagree. Look at the Spurs. I don't see a max guy on their roster. I'd say people are trying to chase the Heat "model" of 3 max guys, when it's actually impossible to do that unless you have a legendary LBJ-type player.

If Dallas was "atypical", what is a "typical" champion in your mind?