1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Don't rule out a trade despite Rockets' recent run

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Man, if only we had a time machine so we could shove Covington in there and make him age 2 years stat. I feel like he's going to turn into exactly the player we need now, but the question is whether or not he can do it in time.

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Codman, I appreciate your attempts at giving us clues, but I suck at riddles. A leader would seem to either be a 3rd star or a veteran to help our push in the play-offs. Since you said "pack", I think of Wolfpack and start to think about Kevin Love. If we could keep our big 3 and add Love that would be simply amazing. Since it's Valentines weekend, can you show us some Love with another hint?

3. verysimplejason

I'm still waiting for a Lin/Asik for Rondo. Moving PBev as a backup would definitely give 48 mins of perimeter defense. It will also ease ball handling responsibilities for Harden. He's the third star that Rockets is looking for. If only Gerald Wallace can come at a discount, then it would be perfect. Contrary to some fans here, defense is the primary problem of the Rockets. Nobody wins it all without excellent defense. If only Camby can still play at least 10 mins of bruising defense, it will be more perfect.

4. Doktor Mndbndr

Random observation I got from crashing the Knicks board with regard to the rumored Asik trade and seeing how thuggish and low IQ the Knicks players looked (J.R. Smith, fatty Felton, etc.)

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1303792

Does Morey value and select for high IQ players with high conscientiousness (necessary for good work ethic)?

Besides Lin - i.e., Harvard,

It seems to me Parsons is extremely high IQ (in fact, I'd bet on him over Lin - and I do not underestimate the caliber of Harvard alums),

Harden also seems well above average,

Royce White, I think, is high IQ, although in a narrowly autistic way,

DMo seems pretty bright as well,

Asik plays a smart game,

while TJones and Bev have their heads set straight, if nothing else.

5. neostars

neostars Member

Great fit?
    What with harden on the bench as six man.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You were doing okay until you included TJones. I love Terrence but he is definitely a little slow. Slow to pick up offenses and defenses. I think that's what has slowed his progress down more than anything. Man if Terrence had a high Basketball IQ he'd be playing later today.

It's the reason McHale pulls him early in the second half of games at times. He just misses defensive schemes and simple things on offense like PNR. To his benefit he does learn that stuff just on a sliding scale.

McHale demands smarts on the court from everyone not named Harden and Howard. He also gives a little more Leniency to beverly because of his high energy effort. Everyone else is under scrutiny.

Just an opinion so don't go crazy but I think that may have been DMo's biggest obstacle. His language barrier seemed to slow him down. McHale had no patience in explaining multiple times to him. I think DMo's english is much better and McHale also realizes the kid is not stupid just didn't understand him now. DMo follows defensive schemes better than any other big we have by far.

Dmo's poor english comprehension was misconstrued as stupidity. Of course I could be wrong and McHale is just playing him more to increase his trade value.

As for the Knicks how stupid can they be to resign JR Smith the most thuggish and ignorant fool of them all. His contract will cost them 25 million next year. Melo definitely had a say in who is own that team big time. Ffrom the coach down to the thuggiest of them.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Four days until the trade deadline, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick.

:)

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I maybe the only one along with you that we need better role players versus a third star. Those three players you named are just solid at what they do and would pretty solidify this team's weaknesses which perimeter d and reliable 3 point shooting.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Rondo, as I've always said, would be a TERRIBLE fit on this team.

Ball dominant. Can't shoot, not even free throws. Bad/uptight locker room presence.

I can't think of a worse match for our set of players. On top of that he's coming off a serious injury and having a bad season as a result.

Just say no to Rondo. He was only good on a team with three big time scorers (who could all shoot!) who were happy to create off the ball. In fact, he will never win another championship unless he gets on a similar team, which is VERY unlikely.

10. makio9

makio9 Member

[Makio] I'm sure the media won't be ruling out any trades despite (anything), don't you worry about that! [Chron]

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Whoever was pushing the Gary Neal for two future 2nds rumor...it actually sounds very plausible. Neal is a lifetime 40% 3pt shooter and would give us a nice additional weapon down the stretch.

12. Play07

Play07 Member

CODMAN
    we'll I'm not real good about figuring these out but he's for sure hinting RONDO. This one was easy for me.
    1. Saying Dudley is a nice guy then saying we need more of an enforcer
    2. No true cowboy = romo QB #9 rondo PG #9
    3. Looking for another leader in this pack

"Now rondo may not be the best fit but if you can get him you do it! You would have 3 guys that have been to the finals in your starting lineup PERIOD, his 3 ball has looked good recently he went 4/4 last game. his contract is up 2015 so it's worth the risk. Mchale could make it work and harden is not as ball dominate as it might look and rondo won't take any shots from him and he will help HOWARD be a better player.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree with you about Rondo. While "fit" seems to be the all important thing when we talk about our PG situation, Rondo is a very bad fit with the Rockets.

If Lin is a bad fit, Rondo is worse, at least on the offensive side. And the scary thing is his history of problems with teammates.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Rondo is a much better player/leader than Lin. Saying a competitor like that is a bad fit is just a bad opinion!

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'm not even sure why people keep bringing Rondo up. Maybe it's just the desire for a 3rd star that makes people not even care who that 3rd star is or something because in the last couple days I've heard stuff about Rondo and Melo, pretty much the 2 worst possible players to be the Rockets 3rd star.

16. Play07

Play07 Member

we'll here's the good.
    1. rondo reads playoff defenses better than anyone on our coaching staff
    2. Like codman said we need an enforcer, rockets are soft that could haunt then in playoffs
    3. Are you ok with harden or bev run mining point against heat,okc,pacers ?
    4. Rondo probably knows more plays than mchale he can get guys into sets lead the charge

17. Play07

Play07 Member

The insiders that have ties to the rockets organization "king drew & codman" are the ones who keep brining him up FYI

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bring back Chuck Hayes ;)

Or Kyle Lowry!

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To counter that though,

1. ......
    2. I'm pretty sure everyone in OKC look at Patrick Beverley as an "enforcer" at the PF position. That kid is tough as nails.
    3. Yes.
    4. ......

Now for the negatives of Rondo

1. He shoots like a drunk 8th grader, no one has to respect his shooting ability.
    2. Closely related, he shoots FT's almost as poorly as Howard, if Howard was hitting his FT's one game, they could switch and hack Rondo instead. Also, aren't we already one of the worst FT shooting teams in the league? Why make it worse?
    3. He's completely ball dominant, that means taking the ball out of the hands of Harden and Parsons which changes the way the Rockets play the game.
    4. Let's say for a second that we kept things the same and let Harden and Parsons get their touches with the ball, Rondo is completely worthless when he doesn't have the ball in his hands, no one respects his shooting ability, so they can clog the lanes.
    5. He's had a history of problems in the locker room, why mess up a good thing?
    6. He costs 11.2 million more than Bev and is coming off of a serious injury.

20. FeaR

FeaR Member