1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Don't rule out a trade despite Rockets' recent run

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Plenty of teams don't win the title with 2 max guys. Plenty of teams will not win this year with 2 max guys. 2 max guys are often just a starting point-- making you a respectable seed when playoffs start, but unless one or both of these max guys are one of the top 2 guys in the entire NBA it's often not enough.

Right now, Dwight Howard and James Harden look like they are among the top 10, 12 guys in the NBA, but they are not at the dominant level of Lebron James and Kevin Durant.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And sometimes it takes one incredible player and a great group of complimentary ones. 1994!

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We don't need to add another big impact player. We just need solid role players (ie: not Garcia/Casspi).

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Exactly. If you have the best center and the best shooting guard in the league why the f**k do you need anything other than role players? The Rockets are competitive right now. Sure a third star would help but would it actually help? What would you give up for that player? My answer is little. F**k it lets roll with what we have and may the competition be damned.

1 person likes this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Because we are not in 1993 and the "Best Center" and "Best Shooting Guard" are not Hakeem and Jordan.

6. DreamEarlNolan

I think as long as he understands his role as scoring and he is given the green light to be aggressive Lin can be a reliable scorer coming off the bench. Lin's ball handling and decision making are where he is less reliable in my opinion.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Do you actually believe some of the stupid things you say?

8. dragician

dragician Member

Look who's coming to Houston...

[​IMG]

9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I hear Dudley is on the market, and I know the Rockets's brass likes him.

He can be a 3 & D guy for us.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Nothing stupid in what he implied.

Each time Lin has played the Heat, he has been locked down. Their back court defense suffocates him and his handles arent good enough to fight through them. It's not going to get any easier for him in the playoffs or in this case the finals should we ever get that far and meet them.

Lin's deer in headlights look against OKC in the playoffs even before he got inured was not very comforting either.

Based on what we have seen of Lin against these two teams so far, I dont have confidence in him should we meet these two teams in the playoffs. He will have to prove it on the court to change the current perception.

11. conquistador#11

Christ on a tortilla, Harden is making up for russell westbrook's absence in the festivities.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yeah. You hit the nail on the head. But in today's NBA it is what it is. And why would you ever map today's NBA to an arbitrary point in the past is totally beyond me. Christ. The player domains are of course completely different. Do you enjoy just throwing out random comparisons just to obfuscate issues? Oh, I guess that was not a question. We all know the answer to that.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You know I think Carl is a bot. Constantly all over the news but absolutely simple stupid in a conversation. Anyway it is the best explanation I have come up with.

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I used to watch him a lot when he played in Phoenix. I think he's way too slow for our team. His conditioning has always been a concern. Overall, he's a nice guy though. I wish we had an enforcer like Ron Ron was for us that year. We have a bunch of gun slingers but no true cowboy.

15. Convictedstupid

Awww man we're getting Romo :(

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I agree. Lin does not handle ball pressure very well. He has good handles for a SG which is what he was at Harvard but below average handles for a PG. Maybe a year of scrimmaging against Beverly has improved his handles some.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

So, no teasing update for us, eh? :)

18. Carl Herrera

Some of you people just don't get it.

First, being best at their position doesn't mean a whole lot. Harden may be the best SG in the NBA but it's because there isn't a whole lot of competition with Kobe and Wade old and injured. He is still a whole tier behind the likes of KD, Lebron and CP3. Howard may still be the best C in the NBA but he isn't close to what he was back in 2009, when he carried Orlando to the Finals and was arguably as effective as Lebron James.

The reality is that the Rockets are sitting in 3rd place in the tightly packed West standings and isn't one of the co-favorites to win the title (Miami, Indiana and OKC are). Morey should look for ways to improve the team, be it in the form of a "third star" or by whatever means necessary.

Second, even if the team was one of the co-favorites, it doesn't mean that Morey shouldn't make a deal to make the odds even more favorable if such a deal became available. Lebron and Wade in 2010 didn't tell Chris Bosh to go away just because Lebron and Wade were likely the top guys at their position and among the top 5 guys in the NBA and they may have been able to win a title with just the two of them and some good role players.

I don't know what's so hard to understand: Having a more talented team is better than having a less talented team.

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Never want to tease, especially posters like you. I always have to respect those of us who have been around for awhile. Much respect to that join date! :)

I just can't be as blunt just yet, though what I just posted is subtle. We're looking for another leader in this pack. I'm sure Morey is busting his ass right now to keep up. We all should take some breaths haha :)

1 person likes this.
  20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I do get what your saying and your not wrong, Morey has said himself he wants to still improve the team going foward and feels we need that 3rd best player in a championship team. Now with that said I don't think the rockets need another allstar player to win a championship. What we need is a Courtney lee, Kyle korver and Brandon bass type players to replace Garcia, casppi and dmo. If we had those three player wight he current roster this team would have to be considered the odds on favorite out west and maybe in the entire league.

We're 5 loses back the best record in the entire league at allstar break. This rockets team is very good as is and could IMO beat any team in a 7 game series, and with minor improvements to the roster this team could turn into the favorite not only out west but in the whole league.