1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Disappointment hits Yao as Games come to end

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sourav004, Aug 25, 2008.

1. sourav004

sourav004 Member

The olympics were a big part Yaos life, who wouldnt be sad to see it end...Next Year NBA CHAMPS!!!
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5964053.html

2. Squallman

Squallman Member

I can't pretend to understand what it's like to be in his position, but Yao can express himself better than any other athlete I know. And he probably was speaking in English for this article.

For many on the board, Yao is just 20 points and 10 rebounds, but I'm especially proud to have the best dude in the NBA on our team (best two, if you count Deke).

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

blah blah blah...get ready for the NBA season Yao!

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like Yao need a vacation - and a well deserved one. I hope Yao gets a chance to rest and take it easy and be away from basketball, Houston, and China for a few weeks at least.

It's totally understandable to feel spent after something you've been planning for and looking forward to for 10 years is over. I mean, it was a big part of his life for his whole life, particularly once China got the games earlier this decade.

I'm sure he has mixed emotions - part relief, part emptiness - but it would be surprising if he didn't. Just takes time to readjust.

I wonder what Yao winning an NBA championship would mean to China? Clearly not as much as winning Olympic gold in basketball, but seeing as that is likely out of reach in at least Yao's career, what would be next?

5. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

As his countryman, I am so proud of Yao as a ball player and as a person. Basketball is a game of 5 players. Hard as he tried, Yao can contribute only so much, especially when there is no quality PG in CNT. What he did (and will do) for CNT and for all Chinese will be remembered forever.

I am hoping that China establish a Hall of Fame for basketball. And Yao should be listed as No. 1 in Chinese basketball history.

6. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

....umm...that was rude.

and no, i'm not a ***.

7. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Very well said.

Whether NBA Championship or Olympics Gold Medal is more important, it is at the eye of the beholder. But I'd hypothesize that it has a lot to do with how hard it is to get one. American basketball players didn't use to care so much about it because it was too easy - it was like you show up and you got gold. Now that it has become much harder (given all the losses the last 4 years), it becomes a big deal again. Even Lebron said that winning Gold for USA was bigger than winning NBA Championship.

Anyway, Yao is just tired after a huge party, 10 years in the making. He will move on, he will be excited with Rox new season again, and maybe he will get NBA Championship, and if so, he will cheer it as the biggest accomplishment of his life.

8. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Well, I think it's safe to say he is a hall of fame player. And that kind of recognition should be world wide right? I mean, he's the reason the NBA is so huge in China, not that loser Wang ZhiZhi. ;)

9. DaDream

DaDream Member

Yao cries and play world of warcraft every night.

10. holyman

holyman Member

I hope the Lauren Jackson hug can give him a big lift :D :D

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Not like China was going anywhere in the Olympics, not too sure how he is disappointed.

Glad he's done though, time for take a short vacation and get ready for the NBA.

12. lastmanstanding

He can't afford to rest. He has to get his conditioning up.

13. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I'm glad both Scola and Yao finished the Olympics without incident. That trapezoid lane was slippery and I held by breath a couple of times during their games whenever either of them fell.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

“Did I get everyone in Houston worried with the limp?” he asked with a smile. “The bone in the foot is fine. I just had some blisters.”
    ______

I doubt it was just blisters.

15. Sydney Rocket

Sydney Rocket Member

Who would be second?

Yi?

Third would be?

Wang Zhizhi?

;)

16. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

No, just everbody on this site. :D

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

:D blah, blah, blah, get ready for the nba........

just kidding.

thanks for posting.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

what was rude? i dont give a rats ass about china. i want yao to do well for the Rockets. I could care less what he does for china. in fact i'm always hoping they get their ass kicked so he doesn't have to play much for them.

19. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

of course, he would've wanted a 7th or even 6th finish, which would've been chinese's historical best.

20. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

To be honest, I dont know if you can call it rude or just being a stone cold heartless bast#@d. I admit Im a Rockets only fan, but I also care about our players and their feelings. If it means a lot to Yao, then Im rooting for him to do well for his Country. Dont be such an a-hole. I believe thats what ShiniKashi meant to say.