1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Defense rests way too much & Rockets Notes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zman2002, Nov 3, 2006.

1. zman2002

zman2002 Member

ROCKETS NOTES: McGrady's hip OK
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4307562.html

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

If it seemed like things couldn't get any worse in the opener, then last season apparently has been forgotten. Either that, or a reminder in the second quarter of Wednesday's season opener went unnoticed.

Rockets forward/guard Tracy McGrady drove to the rim, drawing a foul on Utah's Derek Fisher. But in the timeout that followed, McGrady grimaced while walking away from the huddle in noticeable pain. He looked very much like he did last season when he was so often struck by back problems.

The difference was that McGrady's pain was in the hip. The more telling difference was he laughed about it afterward.

"I got a knee in the hip," he said. "It hurt, but I'm fine. I'm fine now."

Shaping up
    With Saturday's game against the Mavericks beginning a stretch of four games in five nights, today's practice likely will be the Rockets' last for a week. That would limit the chances to test Bonzi Wells' readiness to move to the active roster. While he is not playing, though, he can go through more strenuous workouts than typical while in the rotation.

The Rockets will not, coach Jeff Van Gundy said, wait until Wells is 100 percent to put him on the floor.

"I'm encouraged by how hard he has worked since he has been back," Van Gundy said. "I'm encouraged by how quickly he picks things up. I never underestimate how long it takes to get in tip-top shape. I don't think we'll wait until he's completely in shape. I don't know if you can get completely in shape without playing.

"It is more of a feel. At some point, we're just going to have put him out there and let him go through some preseason mistakes in the regular season. That's not ideal. But it is what it is."

-------------------

Defense rests way too much
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4307563.html

What had been preseason strength becomes liability in Rockets' opener

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Reality might have hit when Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams drove from one rim to the other without a Rockets defender venturing into his path. It might have come when Carlos Boozer rained mid-range jumpers. Or when Ronnie Brewer beat the Rockets downcourt to hammer down a one-handed, alley-oop slam.

At some point, the Rockets must have gotten the message: The preseason, with all its heady talk of glory, is over.

Way back in October, the Rockets' defense was the NBA's best. No team allowed fewer points. No team allowed a lower field-goal percentage.

Then the regular season began Wednesday, and the Rockets were barely traffic cones.

"That was not Houston Rocket or Jeff Van Gundy style of basketball on the defensive end," guard Rafer Alston said. "We have to get back to playing Rockets basketball. That's a lot of points to give up, and a lot was gifts. We didn't even get a hand up. We have a lot of mistakes to correct."

Van Gundy had insisted all along that preseason success might not demonstrate anything, given that opposing coaches might have shut down their teams' scoring as much as the Rockets had.

Then Utah made 52.7 percent of its shots, rolling up a 107-97 win despite easing up in the fourth quarter.

There were other issues, to be sure. But no shortcoming proved as damaging as the Rockets' inability to defend.

Lack of balance
    "We tried to play as an offensive team, (as opposed to) a well-balanced team," Van Gundy said. "Well-balanced teams win, teams that defend and rebound and play good on offense. We're not nearly where we need to be defensively in terms of an ability to sustain an intensity level that can win.

"It's obvious when you watch the game, we were outcompeted. And when you're a small team and you're outcompeted, you don't have a shot to win."

Less certain is whether the Rockets really were playing well defensively in the preseason or merely got away with deficiencies.

"That's preseason," forward Shane Battier said. "You do the best you can, but it's not the intensity the regular season is. This was a step up. All the looseness you have with a team defensively may not get exposed with a team in the preseason. It definitely gets exposed in the regular season. We need to focus in and play with more discipline."

Fouls a factor
    It seemed odd to lose concentration roughly five minutes into the regular season. But with all the confident talk of the preseason and a sharpshooting start, the Rockets seemed to shift into cruise control.

They were foul-prone, putting Utah into the bonus quickly and perhaps sapping some of their own aggressiveness.

"For the most part, guys got two fouls, fouls on offensive screens," guard Kirk Snyder said. "It's hard to see how good we could have been on defense. You play a little more passively with two fouls. Yao (Ming) had two fouls. Shane had two. It takes away some of the aggressive mentality you have to have to play defense.

"That's not alarming that we can't play defense. We will. We'll get better."

In each of Van Gundy's first three seasons, the Rockets were among the NBA's top defensive teams statistically, but they do have weaknesses. As much as the agility of the 7-6, 300-pound Yao has improved, teams still will put him in pick-and-roll scrambles.

"It's one of the disadvantages of being 7-6 and slower than the guy you're trying to guard," Van Gundy said. "You have to give him more of a cushion."

With Van Gundy going with shooting at power forward, he will sacrifice some size at the position.

"It's still early," Battier said. "We're going to need to be a great defensive team. We're a small team. We're going to have to play harder than our opponents on most nights because we're smaller.

"We have strengths, but our weaknesses boil down to concentration and hustle plays you need to make."

Best-laid plans
    There are matchups in which that mix can work, with Yao defending teams' low-post threats regardless of position and with power forwards chasing big men who like to shoot from the perimeter. The Jazz, however, were supposed to be among those teams.

"Most teams are going to try and expose what you don't do as well," Van Gundy said. "We just have to cover whatever weaknesses we have. Against preseason players and preseason preparation, we were OK."

Against a regular-season opponent, the Rockets were sliced apart. But at least they learned the preseason is over.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

now there is a knee in the hip. My wife was having baby, somebody died, excuse and excuse. tired

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Whine and whine. Tired. Your reading comprehension must be seriously questioned if you somehow read that as an excuse for last night's performance.

4. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

back to knee, it's getting worse.

5. jlwee

jlwee Member

If Bonzi is activated next game, who do you guys think will move into the inactive list?

My guess will be KillBill! :(

6. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

he got kneed in his butt

there is nothing wrong with his knee

7. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Have you ever been knned in the hip?.. i have. it dosent farking tickle. put it that way. alo having an loved one die is not an excuses. :rolleyes:

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am sure it hurts. But dont show it on the court. The leader of the team is the sprit of the team. If he softens, the whole team too. Maybe I am too harsh. I love Tmac tough.

9. jsnwu

jsnwu Member

i am afraid you should re-read the artical again and again, dude.

where and when did Tmac take this as an excuse?

:confused:

10. jsnwu

jsnwu Member

we must keep 3 pgs in active list, so padgett or howard may be moved off.

11. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

what do you mean dont show it on the court??

LOL its a natural reaction to grimace if you are pained

do you play any sports??

if you do then you would understand...its not that you "want" to show it, its just something that you do without thinking because we are human beings not superman

12. jsnwu

jsnwu Member

I think he means Do NOT show your blood when you are bleeding.

:cool:

13. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

this was in poor taste, and you are classless.

The internet police have spoken.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

as mentioned your reading comprehension skills need work. or are you actually saying that should he get knee'd in the hip he's not allowed to wince? that's beyond beyond ridiculous. he certainly isn't complaining about anything and i doubt the incident would have even been mentioned had a reporter not asked him about it.

welcome to clutchfans, we'll b**** about anything.

15. GreatRox

GreatRox Member

Here comes our old rockets of 05

16. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Some people here obviously missed out on the "Read to Achieve" programs at their local school. Alarming lack of reading comprehension skills.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

In other words...

I better get Bonzi in the game to help us or I'm going to get canned.

18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I sure hope so. Bonzi matches up extremely well with Stackhouse and he might be a pretty good option against Josh Howard. Plus he can pull down some rebounds for us against a team that generally plays good defense and controls the boards.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm not sure that Bonzi will play on Saturday against the Mavs. I think he's on schedule to play next week sometime. This game will tell us a lot about the Rockets because the Mavs are sure to be in a surly mood after dropping their opener to San Antonio on national TV last night.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

And they looked really good doing it. Both SA and the Mavs appeared to be in mid-season form. And was I impressed with the Elson kid, wow, why did Denver let him get away? And, this is a valid question: why has every televised NBA team looked good starting the season except the Heat and the Rockets? And several of these teams didn't play their starters during preseason.