1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron -Defense on Yao is more like mixed martial arts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by monkeyboy32, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Birdrocket

Birdrocket Member

because he is not well established like duncan or other superstars. unless he can do something in playoffs and lead the team further enough, he will be treated the same way for ever.

2. BetterThanEver

Shaq and Hakeem still got abused every game, after their first championship.

3. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yao is good at taking punishment and bad at giving it. Shaq took a lot of punishment but he gave out a lot more than he took.

4. realrockyboy

realrockyboy Rookie

Well he didnt have to worry about getting offensive fouls..
    In Yao's case, if you followed Rockets' games, you know the answer :D

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I've followed Yao's entire Nba career, he's my idol.

Yao doesn't know how to play dirty his game is too clean. He's a nice young lad. Shaq was great at making his turn around with elbows high look natural.

6. angrykitty

angrykitty Member

Exactly. If they are going to call soft fouls on him anyway, I would love to see him with a couple of hard fouls early in the game to set the tone. The other team should fear -- ok, at least respect -- this 300lb+ giant like they respect Shaq. Teams beat on Shaq too but he gets way more calls go his way. And if you beat on him he is going to make you pay physically also. If he gives some hard fouls, maybe the tic-tac fouls would not seem so bad and the refs would not call them. What do you think?

7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Interesting. Kind of flies in the face of people on the board saying he needs to fight harder to seal off his man etc.

8. krockets

krockets Member

Yao should just whisper this to the referee the next time he is receiving a bad call, "Are you a racist? You want me to make that a case to the media?"...

9. realrockyboy

realrockyboy Rookie

Yeah sure....the only reason those elbows looked natrual it's because the bald ref didn't call it a foul.

When your stats and multimillion dollar contract is on the line no one plays the Mr.good card, Yao tried to fight back a bunch of times, hell he tried that last game, ref called 2 fouls on him. I don't know how do you win a boxing match when you're not allowed to punch a guy in the face, right now Rockets and Yao just have to live with it. It sucks, but at least Portland sucks and Lakers will beat Rockets anyway, so I guess that won't make much of a difference.

If possible Rockets should really considering trade Yao/Tmac for just DH, or hire Maxwell as their assistant coach.

10. conquistador#11

The hand around the waist should be treated like a hand check foul. Ughh, what is wrong with this league...it's frustrating.

11. yuantian

yuantian Member

man, his arms are full of cuts and bruises. it must be brutal down there. his head too. if you send these pictures to the police station, cops going to arrest them for abuse. :D

12. Vivid

Vivid Member

WTF?! I think it was a joke and that was my interpretation of the article. You take that as "bad karma." The first question they asked him was how he got the bumps and bruises...and he answered with his wife. I think it was a little tongue in cheek, not sure how that makes a me a two-faced demon. I am however, trying to be a cunning manipulative spider, what with my extra appendages and quick wit...all used for the purposes of manipulation. So good call there and I will be sure to look out for some swatters. Do spiders really get caught on there own web? Incredibly inefficient those arachnids... I mean, incredibly inefficient, me.

-V

13. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Member

It must be tough to be your "idol". :rolleyes: Even Shaq has stopped using those high elbows nowadays. If you have been watching, 9 out of 10 times offensive fouls were called.

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Well Shaq is 36-37 years old but he's still getting putting up the numbers.

15. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Member

Is that a knock on Yao? Boy, it's really tough to be your idol. You missed my point completely. Rules have changed, officially or not. Those vintage moves by Shaq aren't tolerated anymore, if you still haven't noticed.

16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Rules, Refs, Racism, I know I know.

17. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Member

Wow, you really admire your idol. Guess you have nothing else to say. Chow, kiddie.

18. 90dmswo

90dmswo Member

exactly.

19. theimpossibles1

12.4% Garnett 80.1%
    14.3% Ming 86.6%
    16.0% Duncan 73.0%
    16.3% Gasol (LA) 78.9%
    22.0% Nene 55.1%
    22.6% O'Neal 51.3%
    28.3% Howard 59.0%

These are 2008-2009 season numbers. The number on the right is free throw percentage. The number on the left is the percentage of fouls to field goal attempts (how often you get fouled).

There appears to be a strong correlation between having more fouls called the lower your free throw percentage. There are factors such as style of play that also influence these numbers, but they could not account for such a large disparity.

Smells like BS to me.

20. eixty

eixty Member

I don't think you're taking into account that players with low free throw percentages are more likely to get fouled, especially near the end of games. So it makes it easier for the refs to catch and to call the foul.