1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron.com] Rockets Forward Parsons Worth on Upswing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/11/rockets-forward-parsons-worth-on-upswing/

2. pnr

pnr Member

I'd give him no more than 10 a year tbh.

3. xAliceInChains

I'm not in the loop on the numbers or financials but I would be very sad to see him not play all of his prime years as a Rockets. I'm a fan of his and appreciate his game and hustle night in and night out.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Meh...i see a limited ceiling for parsons. He does nothing on the defensive end and his numbers are inflated by playing our up tempo offense. I need to be convinced that budinger couldnt put up equal stats in the same system. Only reason hes intruiging is cuz hes white and has ups. Far as i am concernd hes a very very average SF with inflated numbers.

5. xAliceInChains

*Rocket

** Also he is nice to look at :grin::cool:

6. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Parsons is a good player, but he is a product of our system. Not to mention he benefits from all the defensive attention Harden/Lin receive.

7. anchel

anchel Member

¿?¿?¿

He is really an almost all-star caliber player, and he deserves and will get 11-12 per year.

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

chase parsons thinks he deserves it

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Chandler Parsons <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBABallot&amp;src=hash">#NBABallot</a></p>&mdash; Chase Parsons (@chucknasty34) <a href="https://twitter.com/chucknasty34/statuses/401899938071969792">November 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Yikes @ his injuries continuing to pile up.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm not 100% certain on this, but Parson by being a 3rd year RFA takes him out of the Gilbert Arenas rule if I'm correct. Meaning that teams can offer him any amount they can afford. To contrast this, if Parsons does fall under the Gilbert Arenas rule, then the max money he can get is about 4yr/$40mil(5/5/15/15). Meaning there is some financial incentive for the Rockets to make him a RFA and then re-sign him for 4yr/$40mil. Assuming they feel he can get much more than that in 2015.

But without the Arenas restriction, Parsons can be offered max if he enters RFA, which doesn't really help the Rockets at all. Especially if Fegan gets some other team with his big name players to make a ludicrous offer. Boozer, while not exactly the same situation, was the perfect example of what can happen when the team relinquish their rights to a player.

Also of note, making Parsons a RFA basically destroys any chance of signing LMA/Love in 2015 FA>

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This is all you need to know really.

They will make him an unresitricted free agent.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

Aldridge will get traded before he hits free agency.

13. PnRScreen

PnRScreen Rookie

i don't think parson worth more seriously.....

would trade him away with asik for LMA in nanoseconds.

14. PnRScreen

PnRScreen Rookie

He got good stat due to extreme high usage rate.

And the way he has been playing in some games seems to be trying too hard to prove himself while disturb the flow of the game by dribbling and play make.

15. torocan

torocan Member

Not exactly.

RFA applies to those in their first 3 years of a player's time in the NBA.

Parsons was drafted in 2011, so he's played 2011/12, 2012/13, and is currently playing 2013/14 (year 3).

That means that RFA does NOT apply to Chandler Parsons. The only constraint on his salary is his existing contract (year 4, team option). So, basically the team can exercise the option (Parsons paid $850k for one more year) and take their chances, or they can decline the option and let him go straight to the market. Either way he'll be an unrestricted free agent.

The gamble is whether Parsons will get a larger offer at the end of this year, or the end of next year. If Parsons goes crazy next year and they exercise the option, then his price could go way up. On the other hand, if they lock in Parsons at the end of this year and his play declines or he is injured next year, the Rockets are saddled with a multiple year contract where he may underperform.

Given that Parsons is not a RFA under either scenario, then the offer will most likely be a normal contract (5/5/5, 6/6/6, 8/8/8, etc).

Either way, we have Parson's full bird rights so we can fully match in an attempt to keep him (though he's not required to re-sign), even going over the salary cap.

Personally, I think the wiser option is to let him go FA at the end of this season, then sign him into a 4 year contract with a team option in year 4. Players are typically willing to take less money per year if you give them more years/stability. This gives Parsons some stability, and wouldn't make him feel like we're trying to nickel and dime him. Especially since he's been so productive in the last couple years and being paid relative peanuts.

If we're lucky, Parsons continues to develop and his contract will look reasonable to cheap.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You've misunderstood how that works, he'd a restricted free agent this year if they decline his option because this is his third year.

See other 2nd round examples such as Nikola Pekovic and DeAndre Jordan for RFA status after 3 years.

The thing with Fegan is that people seem to be assuming he's stupid or something, of course he'd know that the purpose of picking up Chandler's option is to go for Love/Aldridge in 2015. Obviously if we low ball Chandler, then fiduciary duty kicks in, but as Jalen said, Chandler is handcuffed to Dwight, and the only keys to them is Kevin Durant (lol).

#16 Aleron, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  17. torocan

torocan Member

That would apply if Parsons were a first round draft pick, however Parsons was undrafted so he becomes eligible for unrestricted free agency after his 3rd year.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q43

Unless you're referring to some other restriction?

18. torocan

torocan Member

** sorry, meant to say undrafted in the first round, was drafted in the 2nd round... damn lack of edit

19. nono

nono Member

His poor defense decreases his value, especially to a team like us that needs a good wing defender. My guess is that he will be offered 6/6/6 or 7/7/7. For the 8/8/8 range you can get a guy who scores 12 or so points and plays really good defense, which is a greater need than 15 points and zero defense.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

No he doesn't, as I said, see Nikola Pekovic and DeAndre Jordan.

Undrafted and 2nd round picks have exactly the same rights regarding RFA and UFA, it's only 1st rounders who don't become RFA's until after year 4 that differ.