1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron.com: Hidalgo to LA Dodgers???

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Dude, your b****ing about this is getting really tired. You dont like the signing of Clemens and Pettitte. Great, we get it. You make me want to stab myself every time I see you post about this.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Though I'd rather hold onto Hidalgo for another year, I wouldn't mind trading him for a center fielder with speed that hits for a decent average. Then move Biggio to right, let him hit in the two spot in the lineup, and allow the new guy to lead off.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

AMEN to that this team needs speed badly.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I'n not a big fan of getting rid of the team MVP. He was the most productive player in the last few series where everybody else was terrible.

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I never said they saved money, don't put words in my mouth. What I took issue with was your 10MM per year claim for Pettitte and then calling Clemens coming to Houston a retirement tour. And I then proceeded to use statistics and numbers to prove my point. But now that you brought it up, I'll give you some evidence as to why they likely won't move Hidalgo.

1. The Astros aren't drastically over budget even with signing Pettitte and Clemens. Roger has 3.5 mil deferred for 2 years, and can make 1.4 mil on top of the 1.5 he is guaranteed by reaching incentives. So for this years payroll clemens could count for 2.9 mil and pettitte 5.5, while wagner cost them 8 mil. A difference of a measly 400k. Factoring in raises to arbitration eligible guys, it's probably 5-10 mil more than last years payroll, at the worst.

2. Hidalgo is a free agent next season. Teams normally don't trade guys in their walk years because those players tend to play their best in pursuit of a new contract and Houston is trying to win the whole thing.

3. The Astros are a contender, and would want a solid hitter plus prospects in return. Who in baseball is going to give up that for Hidalgo, without making the Astros take back so much salary that it's not worth it anymore.

4. What teams in baseball are going to be willing to take on a 12 million dollar contract besides Baltimore, LA, Seattle, Boston, and both New York teams? Most others are in cost cutting mode, and wouldn't be willing to talk deal without making Houston take back a good chunk of salary. Of those teams, Baltimore and the Mets have nothing to give Houston, Boston and Seattle probably aren't interested, and neither are the Yankees. The Dodgers could give the Astros solid pitching that they could turn for hitting in return, but their management is in flux and they don't want to part with their top prospects. Also I don't think LA would give perez and possibly mota(the two guys houston would want) for Richard.

5. Finally, here is a quote today by Gerry Hunsicker:

"I'm disappointed that I continue hearing that we are trying to dump Richard Hidalgo, that's unfair and untrue," Hunsicker said. "Richard is a very important part of our offense, and I don't anticipate a move regarding him at this time."

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Hey ESPN insider has a story on this rumor. Someone with more money than me who has an insider account can you please let us know if there are any names mentioned.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As opposed to $12MM to a #6 hitter?

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Ditch Dalgo..put lane in RF ---> use the saved $$ for Greg Maddux.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Since the Billy Wagner deal, it has been reported that the Astros are shopping Hidalgo.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

Rumors right??

If the rumors say we are shopping him, but the GM of the team says otherwise, then who should get the benefit of the doubt??

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the paper this morning indicates that the only team interested was the Dodgers...and the Astros haven't heard from them since the Winter Meetings.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know, but I have never heard of a GM openly stating he was trying to trade someone.

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Not much was said, except for this:

Jan. 15 - Astros GM Gerry Hunsicker denied the teams is trying to trade Hidalgo, telling the Houston Chronicle, "Richard is a very important part of our club and one of our key offensive players. We're certainly not aggressively looking to trade him at this point."

Wednesday, the L.A. Times reported the Dodgers were interested in resuming discussions with the Astros regarding Hidalgo, with the implication being Houston was looking to unload the outfielder's $12 million salary after recently signing Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte.

Hidalgo, 28, hit .309 with 28 home runs and 88 RBI last season, but the Astros have top prospect Jason Lane ready to step in.

Nothing we don't already know.

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I'm well aware of that. But, I think the Astros have figured out the market for hidalgo and what they could get in return, just isn't there. And with his contract expiring next year, they don't need to desperately get rid of him. Unless the Dodgers or Mariners get really desperate, I see him remaining an Astro as of now.

I was just using the quote as evidence to prove a point, the deal could go either way. And while I have confidence in Jason Lane, it would take a really good deal for me to move hidalgo not only because of his talent, the fact is they have as good a chance as anyone in baseball to win the World Series. Hunsicker is a smart GM, I'm sure he realizes all these things.

Thus, I expect to see Hidalgo in an Astros uniform for 2004, and I'm not disappointed in that at all.

15. Buck Turgidson

Dodgers want an OF with pop, they've been talking to the ChiSox about Magglio Ordonez, and have balked (rightfully) at the asking price: Guillermo Mota (hardcore bullpen stud), Odalis Perez and 2 top prospects. So, they contacted Houston. This is not a case of Hun calling teams & looking to unload Hidalgo, huge difference. If the price is right - Mota + top prospect OF or pitcher - I say we bid Richard adieu. If they insist on dumping Perez or other salary, I say no.

16. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

The Dodgers will not budge on Mota, he will not be traded. If they wanted Hidalgo bad enough I could see them giving up one top prospect, a low A-ball prospect and a bullpen arm with the name Mota not attached.

17. Buck Turgidson

Then no Hidalgo. Mota's the only bully guy that's really interesting.

18. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I guess I am in the minority here about Hidalgo. I'd love to see him gone.

He was the 2nd biggest reason (in terms of batters) why the Astros didn't win the division last year. (Biggio being the first). If I recall, Hidalgo went 4 for 27 in the most critical homestand of the season last year, once again showing that he is a terrible clutch performer. He can't handle the pressure, gets tight at the plate, and thus grounds out to third or flys out to center at the worst times.

He's a great defender, and had a good season last year until the pressure to win was at its highest. Didn't do crap in the 2001 playoffs either.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So you're throwing away all of the good that Hidalgo accomplished throughout the year based on his last 27 at bats? Wasn't it possible that Hidalgo was the main offensive reason the Astros were even in a position to win the division the last week of the season?

Including his miserable last 27 at bats, he hit .344 in September with a .688 slugging percentage.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

CASE CLOSED

:D