1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron.com: Hidalgo to LA Dodgers???

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Jan 14, 2004.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Major, it's a team option for 2005 worth 2 million. That's why the Astros hold all the cards in the trade talks for him. They have the options of dealing him now, letting him walk in FA next year, or convince him to stay for a drastic pay cut. It's a pretty good situation if you ask me.

2. Buck Turgidson

Club option or $2M buyout.

Another thing to think about is that any team trading for Hidalgo would want to jettison some salary, which cuts into (probably at least half) the $12M of payroll flexibility.

Due to deferred money, the 'Stros payroll isn't going to be much over $70M this season. I don't see that as being cost-prohibitive to making a trading deadline/playoff charge type deal.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't see why so pessimistic about Jason Lane. He has absolutely nothing to prove in AAA, and has done well in his short stint here in the majors. Given Doggy's unreliable track history here, I'm not so sure Lane can't match his performance. At a MUCH lower salary at that.

If the money saved can go towards plugging another hole(my dream would be Pudge, which won't happen) I'm all for it. If it's just saving money, then we shouldn't trade Hidalgo.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Major: You are assuming that that $12million would give us flexibility towards other deals. How do we not know that Drayton is intending to move Hidalgo's contract to compensate for his "losses" in signing Pettite and Clemens. They had better not trade Hidalgo this year and I had better not hear Drayton complaining about payroll - a ton of that money going to Pettite and Clemens is deferred until later and the two will sell out more than enough to pay back their salaries.

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I thought we unloaded Wagner to get Pettitte and Clemens? And your right, the increased revenue should more than cover the salary differences.

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

To afford these pitchers, the Stros' will unload Dalgy...It's all about the benjamins and I think Lane will do just fine...

7. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1708411

HOUSTON -- Former Houston Astros closer Billy Wagner thought he was traded to the Philadelphia Phillies after last season as a cost-cutting measure.

But since the Astros have signed pitchers Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte, Wagner now thinks he was traded because he was an outspoken critic of Astros owner Drayton McLane for not making a big move last season, when Houston was battling for the NL Central title.

"When I was traded it was my understanding it was financial and then they get Clemens and Pettitte for double what I was making," Wagner told The Associated Press on Wednesday from his home in Charlottesville, Va. "Instead, they got rid of me because they don't like me."

Wagner will make $8 million next season. The Astros signed Pettitte to a three-year, $31.5 million contract last month. Clemens, who had announced his retirement after pitched for the New York Yankees in the World Series, signed a one-year deal Monday worth $5 million.

Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker denied Wagner's assessment.

"I can appreciate how Billy feels, but what feelings we may or may not have had regarding Billy didn't enter into the move to trade him to Philadelphia," Hunsicker said. "The Pettitte and Clemens signings were unusual and special circumstances and not contemplated at the time of the Wagner trade."

After Houston's final game last season, Wagner accused McLane of trying to keep the Astros competitive with "tape jobs" and not pushing them toward the playoffs.

"Yeah, I'm outspoken," he said. "I just don't feel it's wrong to state the obvious or the truth. I'll be the first to tell you if I'm wrong."

Still, Wagner wishes he could be there when the Astros unveil their potent rotation.

"I just wish he'd done this when we were a game out last season," Wagner said. "I'm happy for the team, and wish I was a part of it, but you trade Billy Wagner and get Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte. That's an easy decision."

Wagner, one of the most popular Astros throughout his major league career, converted 44 of 47 saves last season. Astros veterans Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell were among those unhappy when Wagner was traded.

"I'm happy Bagy and Bidge will get the help they need to win a championship," Wagner said. "Maybe I should have said something earlier last season. I think what I said might have changed some of the outlook of everybody."

The Astros will have a rotation of Clemens and Pettitte to go with young starters Roy Oswalt, Wade Miller and Tim Redding.

Jeriome Robertson, who won 15 games last season, and Carlos Hernandez, recovering from shoulder surgery, also will compete for a starting spot.

Hunsicker said the Astros may not be done making moves. He wants to add a utility outfielder to complete the roster going into spring training.

Although right fielder Richard Hidalgo will earn $12 million for 2004 and has a contract with a $15 million team option in 2005, Hunsicker said there are no plans to trade him to cut salary.

"I'm disappointed that I continue hearing that we are trying to dump Richard Hidalgo, that's unfair and untrue," Hunsicker said. "Richard is a very important part of our offense, and I don't anticipate a move regarding him at this time."

8. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

that's really good to hear.

So, does Wagner know that he makes a complete ass of himself every time he opens his mouth?

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if he'll be the first to tell us when he's wrong...then will he now tell us he was wrong in his criticism of mclane because the astros went out and spent more money than anticipated on clemens and pettitte??? i doubt it.

wagner sealed his fate when he came in the locker room the day of the last game saying his goodbyes to all the stadium staff and criticizing mclane at the same time. yeah...talk bad about the man who signs your checks everyday in the press, and see how far it gets you.

and that's coming from a guy who was a HUGE wagner fan.

10. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I used to be a Wagner fan but his comments really get under my skin. Drayton is unquestionably the best owner the Astros have every had. Memo to Billy: THE ASTROS ARE NOT THE YANKEES!!! There is such a thing as a budget, and Wagner obvisouly has no concept of that. When you factor in the Drebek and Swindeel deal, the Johnson trade, the Kent signing, the K. Caminnetti(sp) reunion, now the Pettite and Clemons signing - Dayton has done his fair share of attempts on making this team better. I don't think much more can be expected of him. I don't expect him to lose money just because he has it to lose, but I do expect him to put the best product on the field possible and I don't think anyone can really question he has done just that. Has he made a few bone-head decision...Yes. Will there be more....probably. I think Wagner is just a winer and complainer when what he should really be doing is taking a look in the mirrow. That goes for every Astro! I don't hear Drayton on damn radio everytime you guys choke in the playoffs!

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because they gave $10MM to a third starter, and $5MM for a renuion tour.

12. Buck Turgidson

Dude contradicts himself so often in that article my head is spinning.

I had hoped that with his departure from Houston, I would be free from his ridiculous interviews. I guess not.

13. kevwun

kevwun Member

I didn't have a problem with getting rid of Wagner because, on a team that has a mid level payroll, paying a closer 7 or 8 million is not getting the most for your money. On top of it, the Astros got a very nice pitching prospect in return.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'd be all for unloading Hidalgo if it meant we got a good replacement outfielder with speed and lead off potential with a high OBP, or better yet a two guys like that. One to replace Biggio and the other in place of Hidalgo. The team needs more speed and versatility in ways to manufacture runs. Yes we got a small ballpark that's great for dropping bombs, but there's gotta be more balance in the speed department.

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

I wonder if the Astros would like to get Dave Roberts in return??

Speedy guy, not much of an average hitter. 32 years old.

16. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I'd like to see a top notch CF prospect. One that could push Biggio next year.

17. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

I totally agree with you on this London. The dude had how many outfield assists last year? People feared and respected his throwing. Unless you get someone out there with more speed to help out Biggio getting rid of him is a bad move. I know Damn well we have one of the slowest outfields in the league. I know Jason Lane isnt known for his speed either. I have nothing against Jason Lane. I hate the fact that Biggio plays center field one of the toughest positions to play...

go Astros! all the way in 04 baby!

18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I'm going to show you Andy Pettitte's contract structure. 5.5 mil in 04, 8.5 in 05, and 10 mil in 06 as 7.5 mil of his 17.5 mil 2006 salary is deferred to 2008.

So that equates to 3 years 24 million dollars for one of the top lefty starting pitchers in baseball, and a solid number 2 or 3 starter. 8 mil a year for a pitcher as proven as pettitte is a very good deal, and by trading wagner, pettitte's salary just takes the place of billy's so it's a payroll wash.

And as far as clemens goes, you seem to think he is washed up, which he is not. He pitched 211 innings last year, and in the last three years he has declined his number of walks while keeping his strikeout rate very high, at above 8 k's per innings pitched, creating a strikeout to walk rate of around 3 to 1 which is excellent.

Here's another number for you: opponents batting average. In the last four years, hitters have hit at best .250 against clemens, and had a sub .750 OPS.

Also looking at his 2003 numbers, he was outstanding away from Yankee Stadium, holding batters to a .220 average and having an ERA of 2.58. He was worse on the road than at home in 2002, posting an era in the 6's, but in 2001, he was better at home but posted a 3.58 era on the road, so I'd call 2002 a Fluke.

And Clemens still has his overpowering stuff. This is not a retirement tour for his hometown. He can still pitch like a frontline starting pitcher and his experience and toughness will be invaluable to the Astros pitching staff. The man still has it, and he hasn't proved otherwise yet.

I wouldn't expect it to start now knowing Clemens approach and attitude towards the game.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

DVarthin,

I guess you schooled me:rolleyes:

Tell me what all those numbers have to do with saving money because they gave Pettitte and Clemens those contracts. So you see, I don't care how Pettitte's contract is structured if they get rid of their best outfielder on the worst defensive outfield to pay him. They could pay him one penny this year. If they get rid of Hidalgo to save money, my point still holds true.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and if they don't???