1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chron.com: Bob Sura out all preseaon (back surgery)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, Sep 21, 2004.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Herniated disk .....OUCH!

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2807486

Rockets' guard Sura will miss preseason
    Free agent undergoes back surgery for herniated disc
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

ADVERTISEMENT

Guard Bob Sura, signed as a free agent last month to solidify the Rockets' rebuilt backcourt, underwent back surgery today, costing him the entire preseason and possibly much more.

Rockets trainer Keith Jones said that Sura would be out at least eight weeks, but that he could not estimate how long Sura could miss.

"He had a herniated disc," Jones said. "Dr. (Robert) Watkins operated ... and repaired it. He's telling us an eight-week minimum."

Sura had been unable to participate in offseason workouts in Houston for several weeks because of an injury originally considered a back strain. When he failed to improve, further tests revealed a herniated disk that had to be repaired surgically.

Sura had a slightly herniated disk during the 2002-2003 season when he played 55 games for the Golden State Warriors. Although his current injury is to the same disc, the previous injury was to the back, rather than the current anterior portion of the disc, Jones said.

"This is a new injury," Jones said. "He had a problem with his back three years ago, when he was with Golden State. He saw Watkins for that then. He hadn't had any problems with his back for two years since and played every game last year.

"He passed our physical no problem and was working out in Cleveland and hurt his back. He came here a few days after that. He saw doctors and had treatment, and didn't respond. Watkins is telling us the injuries are not related. He treated the other injury with rehab and strengthening, but Watkins said it was not going to respond to the treatment we were giving. Everyone felt this was the right thing to do."

But for the Rockets, the injury will send them to a second consecutive training camp one player short. They were also without one of their two free agent additions last season when Adrian Griffin was out with a knee injury from which he never entirely recovered.

Sura was signed to fill a variety of roles for the Rockets. A possible starter at point guard, he was also expected to compete for playing time as the primary backup for Tracy McGrady and Jim Jackson.

Sura's injury could leave a void in the backcourt. Sura had a strong finish to last season, averaging 14.7 points, 8.3 rebounds and 5.3 assists in his 27 games with the Hawks.

Sura, 31, has averaged 8.4 points, 3.2 rebounds and 3.6 assists in 11 seasons with four teams.

Without Sura, Reece Gaines, who struggled as a rookie last season, is the only reserve shooting guard. Charlie Ward and Tyronn Lue, both coming off disappointing seasons, are the only point guards on the roster.

Sura had arrived in Houston expecting to begin workouts that could provide a head start on training camp.

"There's a lot of new guys here," Sura said last week. "To go through it with a few other guys I thought would help me get ready. It makes it a lot easier. But I have been having some discomfort in my back. I don't know what's going on. We're going to find out exactly what's going on and go forward from there."

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Great. Just what we need to start the season.

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

DAMN!!!:eek:

Does that mean Yao's injury reported by the same Chinese newspaper are true as well???????!!!!

I hope not...

4. HTownrocketfan

Now what??? Gaines the only backup to Tracy???

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

it's Piatkowski all over again

6. choujie

choujie Member

Boki will get more playing time at the begin of the season again.

7. Remix

Remix Member

Heres a great opportunity for Gaines to show what hes made of.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Suck it up Sura, I've had a herniated disc for the past 5 years. Nothing that the occasional epidural can't fix.

9. JumpMan

There is a good side of all this... For all you Nachbar luvahs... He gets more PT now!

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it sounds like he probably won't be playing till '05

11. lpbman

lpbman Member

i hope Boki gets the minutes... he's due

12. JumpMan

Do you play in the NBA? I'm pretty sure he can do what you do just fine with his disc, can you do what he's expected to do?

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

As a 'shooting' guard? Great...

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

Nothing the occasional surgery can't fix either. :)

Based on personal experience, I don't believe there is anything better that fixes a herniated disc better than surgery.

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

This means major minutes for Nachbar.

16. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

This herniated disc thing doesn't sound like a new injury. How could he passed the medical when we signed him?

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well, I for one am glad it happened now. I would really be pissed if it happened later down the road.

18. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah, I'm just messin with him. Mine rarely bothers me anymore which is why I never had the surgery. Occasionaly I'll get that shooting pain down my leg, but it's nothing like it used to be.

How long were you out of commission after the surgery? I've wondered if I should have it done one day, just to prevent further damage.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Delete....