1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron.com] Alexander has plenty of options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 11, 2007.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Yeah, you don't have to have a quick center to run and gun. Most of the time he would be initiating the break with the outlet pass after a rebound. That doesn't require a whole lot of speed.

This team needs a whole new outlook on the offensive end. That's why I want Ivaroni.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Wasn't one of the major complaints in Yao's first couple of years that the team wasn't getting enough fastbreak points?

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They actually had more backcourt depth in Sura, James, Barry, and Wesley.

The current Rockets team is Alston and Head... and Head is terribly one-dimensional. I guess V-span is an option, but I don't see him providing anything that Sura, James, Barry or Wesley couldn't do (and likely will provide less).

How are the current Rockets going to acquire the viable talent to be more of a running team? I know Yao can coexist and be part of any style... but you have to have the supporting cast to be able to implement running.

BTW... wasn't the 04-05 team coached by JVG? I thought he was incapable of running? I guess the players mutinied and got their way... he had nothing to do with the offensive success of that team.

#43 Nick, May 11, 2007
    Last edited: May 11, 2007
  4. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

John Lucas has coached three NBA teams.

5. anon3803

anon3803 Member

Well, they couldn't have been doing any worse than they are now in fastbreak points. Yao's first few years shows to me that he can work in a fast paced offense. It won't be anything like how fast the Suns run, but it certainly doesn't have to be as slow as our offense is now.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What about the JVG haters that want Carlisle or Adelman. Carlisle is even more controlling than JVG and has trouble getting along with players? How's that for ya? And I'm glad the article mentions Adelman's prickliness. You people that want him and complain about JVG's public demeanor need to chill. Plus, Adelman has gotten worse as he's aged. He's also not a coach players love or who is noted for communicating well with players. I think the guy is just plain weird, though that doesn't mean he can't be a good coach.

For the sake of theater, I would like Adelman to get it since so many here want him. I want to see the reaction when people realize he's mister sourpuss. Both Adelman are Carlisle are definitely "stubborn" too, especially Adelman. Where have we heard that before?

Whoever the new man is, we'll all be reminded that coaches' warts look a lot bigger up close.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Grass is always greener.

I think it will be even more comical when a new coach comes in here and completely overhauls the roster in his image... and leaves this team with the same deficiencies as it had to begin with (and possibly no marketable franchise center... their only tradeable commodity).

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

'

well put. those 'demanding' jvg not return but only mention either coaches who are inexperienced or can be equally 'stubborn' just dont make any sense.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

according to lopez.

10. Guru

Guru Member

You can't see me, but i'm clapping! When Gundy is gone, and our offense is still stagnant and our defense sucks even more, we'll think back!

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That was pointed out to me. I had forgotten. Best season was with the Spurs in 1993-94, when he was 55-27. Lost in the first round to the Utah Jazz. Irony abounds!

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

All Yao has to do is rebound and feed the break. Jabbar @ 40 could do it, so can Yao.

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Good post. I like Iavaroni as well. I'm ready for something different.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sweet. so now all we need in magic, worthy, mcadoo and byron scott

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Yes when there is a chance to run than run but the original point was we can't be like the suns with Yao.

The 2004-2007 Suns are much different than the 80s Lakers

16. Guru

Guru Member

Easier said than done. :(

17. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Oh yeah, FYI-Les (Mr. sign and trade for Pippen, bring in Barkley, trade for T-Mac, draft day deals for Francis and then Griffen and oh yeah trade deadline for Clyde) is not gonna hire a no name or first time coach. It will be a name you know and if y'all think I'm wrong about Del Harris than you should atleast be sure it will be a guy who has coached in the NBA

18. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

My vote is for Adelman, but it has nothing to do with his personality. I don't care how good an interview a coach is, and I'm less worried about chemistry than I am about Xs and Os. Adelman has coached some amazing offensive teams in Portland and Sacramento. We need an offense that creates easier shots for our players, period.

19. No Worries

Short List? : Larry Brown, Del Harris and Rick Adelman.

I don't like any of them. Maybe if Del was younger, but he is not.

My preference would to keep JVG and his D, but bring in someone as an assistant to help install the Princeton passing offense (maybe one of Adelman's assistants).

20. No Worries

It isn't just Yao. Battier, Howard, and maybe Alston don't fit either.

Add Yao to the Suns team, imo the Suns may do just as well.