1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron.com] Alexander has plenty of options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 11, 2007.

1. Asiya

Asiya Member

...how about John Lucas as an assistant coach?...

..I like Adelman, but he has to have the talent available to execute his style and I am not sure we have it at this point...plus, he has said he prefers to stay on the West Coast...

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Crack my arse. I've preached run and gun with Yao since the Knucklehead Twins were still here. Anyone that can't see the benefits of high-octane transition conserving Yao's energy is looking at the world with blinders on.

No one that shares your opinion has ever had an answer for the success of the 40 year old Kareem on the ShowTime Lakers.

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Show time Lakers like the current Spurs ran when they had an oportunity that is fine now playing like the Suns is not a good idea.

4. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

On the Money. Good to see you posting Gater. Missed your viewpoint here.

We can run with Yao - perfect example is showtime with Kareem.

Good post - thanks

5. elvis

elvis Member

All those coaches in the article suck. No way do any of them win 52 games with the team we had this year. With Lucas as our coach we would have been back in the lottery.

We had the 5th best record in the NBA this season! I just don't get the Van Gundy hate.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's a terrible comparison... how do the Rockets acquire the overall talent that the Lakers teams had?

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Someone earlier said Iavaroni being a "disciple" of Riles like it was a bad thing. Who coached the Showtime Lakers? Pat Riley. A good coach changes his scheme to fit the players he's got.

8. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I have mixed feelings on whether Van Gundy should be fired. I do not know if we can get somebody better. this team's improvement is what I want- I can live with Van Gundy if need be to help this team grow.

I do not want to blow up the team- but to improve it.

for coach - I do not think Elie or John Lucas are upgrades over Van Gundy. Adelman would be an upgrade- but I do not see him coming here.

Iavoroni - proven at Villanova as clutch player and id adquate as a player in Philadelphia, but Unproven as a coach.

Van Gundy - like it or not is a proven commodity.

9. texanskan

The 1997-1998 Lakers were only the third team in the history of the NBA to lead the league in scoring while also holding opponents under 100 ppg. Per nba.com that team coached by Del Harris who for the first time in print has been rumored to be on Mr. Alexanders short list.

Although if you read clutchfans.net texanskan has been telling y'all there is a high probabilty that Mr. Harris will be the Rockets next head coach.

10. awo86

awo86 Rookie

only good choice, by order:

Larry Brown

JVG

Rick Adelman

Del Harris

and thats it...none of the BS talk about lucas or ellie....plz for crying out loud. developing players is very different from managing a team.

11. Coob5

Coob5 Member

Would it be possible to get Phil Jackson to come over from the Lakers or is he locked in over there?

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He was an assistant in Denver for a few years and was head coach (extremely short tenures) with the Spurs, Cavs, and Sixers.

I don't understand at all how any JVG haters would want Larry Brown on this team. I can't decide if its hypocritical or just a show of ignorance.

Evan

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

true, but lets not pretend that the rockets didnt get open looks b/c they did. They just missed them.

14. texanskan

a little of both but maybe some folks think Brown could "get us over the top"

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Del Harris wouldn't be bad... but does he have the motivation? Also, how long would he be in it for... he's not young, not even close, some say he was too old for the Lakers and that was 10 years ago.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think it would work if he just stayed at one end of the court.

17. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Putting Larry Brown and JVG in the same sentence is a show of ignorance. If u dont know the difference, just call Joe Dumars. Ask Dumars why in summer 2003 he didnt even care to give JVG a call for an interview for Pistons' coach opening.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

That wasn't what I meant. I was trying to imply he mighn't be run and gun as a head coach himself.

I've read he wants to be a head coach again but probably won't get the opportunity because of his age.

19. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

How about the 04-05 Rox team then? They are playing a much faster pace than the current team. They got a lot of fastbreak points and Yao had a lot of easy baskets either through transition or PnR. He did just fine in a running team.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

one way?