1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: City planning to have red-light cameras at intersections by end of the year

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3222445

Red-light cameras not far up road
    By MATT STILES
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

A legislative win for the city of Houston could spell a loss for red-light scofflaws by year's end.

The city is moving ahead with plans to install cameras to photograph motorists who don't stop at traffic lights, now that the idea has survived a move to block it in Austin.

"They are going up, you bet," said Mayor Bill White, during a recent news conference. "Every time that somebody is killed or seriously injured in an intersectional collision, where somebody was speeding through a red light, I and council members take that as a personal responsibility."

The timetable isn't certain for setting up the cameras, which the City Council approved in December. The goal is to have some working by the end of the year, city officials said.

The city had planned to get cameras installed by April, but that was delayed while the Legislature considered the issue. The House approved measures to outlaw red-light cameras, but none made it through the Senate.

Precisely where the cameras might go isn't yet clear. The mayor, council and several city departments are working out the details of the plan before soliciting bids from prospective private vendors, who would install and maintain the cameras.

The mayor and the police department have said the city's most dangerous signal-controlled intersections would be first on the list. The initial rollout of the system could involve as few as 10 sites, eventually growing to as many as 50.

"Whether we do all 50 all at once, I'm not sure," said Councilman Adrian Garcia, whose public safety committee will discuss the issue today.

Reducing crashes
    White and other proponents said the devices reduce serious crashes in the communities where they are installed across the country, including Garland, Plano and Richardson in North Texas.

But critics charged that the city's real motive was increasing traffic ticket revenue.

"I don't want this to be another parking meter thing — all about money," said Councilwoman Addie Wiseman, one of two council members who opposed the measure. She said the city still ought to explore other ways to make intersections safer, such as extending the time for yellow lights.

"I want it to be about safety. That's how it was pitched, and that's how it should be followed through."

Lt. Robert Manzo, a Houston police spokesman, said one system under review would include sensors connected to traffic lights.

Cameras would take four digital images of any vehicle that entered an intersection when sensors indicated the light was red. The infraction also would be captured on video.

Those images then would be wired electronically to the city's vendor for identification of the registered owner through state records. A police officer would approve each citation before it was mailed.

Citations to car's owner
    The citations would be civil documents technically issued against a car's owner rather than its driver, and would carry lower penalties than tickets written by officers who witness infractions.

The camera fine likely would be $50 to $75, compared with the criminal penalty of $215. Additionally, the camera citations wouldn't affect motorists' insurance rates because they wouldn't be noted on driving records, city officials said.

The city — which might give the vendor a cut of ticket revenue to save money on the installation — also is exploring the option of setting up decoy cameras in some places to serve as deterrents, officials said.

Garcia said his committee likely will discuss the technology, as well as methods to ensure that motorists aren't unfairly cited.

He agrees that each identified intersection ought to have several cameras, and video capability, so all suspected violations would be clearly documented.

"If we don't have a good triangulation of the intersection, the light and the angle of the camera, then we're going to have to be subjective about it, and that's not fair," he said.

matt.stiles@chron.com

2. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

I wonder which vendor raised the most money for some councilperson's campaign this last election cycle. They're saying this isn't about generating revenue, and I'm calling bull****.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm happy for it. Light running is pandemic in Houston.

4. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

They've had those thing here in Charlotte for 4 years now. I think they help and they are definetely needed in Houston. Charlotte now has the speed limit cameras in busy stretches of main roads....be prepared for that coming soon.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hmmm. This didn't come up during White's campaign. What did come up was synchronizing the lights downtown....which still hasn't been done.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Didn't know about those. Damn!

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

To be fair, that is a massive project, especially since there isn't a way to have a vendor reduce the up front costs for a piece of the pie on the back end.

Galveston has been working on their Broadway project (synching the lights) for about 5 years now (3.5 years planning and the last 1.5 working) and won't be done for another year.

Even if White just gets the ball rolling on that project he will have accomplished something.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Really? I guess I just don't see it. I see maybe on average 1 person/year (if that) run a red light. I drive all over town too.

9. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Not compared to Austin.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I saw three on my way to and from lunch. :)

You see three at every busy intersection with a left-hand turn light.

11. Toast

Toast Member

I swear, you can guarantee I'm not voting to re-elect anyone who represents me and voted in favor of this bulls&^t.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've been told that Houston has an unusually high ratio of deaths by red-light running. I have not verified myself. But I see it daily. Perhaps you don't see it because you have a more tolerant view of what pushing a red light is?

White, btw, has synchronized the lights in Midtown, which makes the trip down Elgin a lot more tolerable.

13. jondoe654

jondoe654 Member

I've always wondered about those odd situations. Like say you are turning left from an intersection and it is heavy traffic and someone stops to turn off into a heavily crowded parking lot thats on the other end of your turn thus causing traffic to stop in the intersection long enough for a yellow and red light to come on. If you are the last car do you still get a ticket for running the redlight even though the guy trying to turn into the parking lot is holding up the traffic into the intersection? :confused:

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Come on over to Beltway 8 West. I'll show you one on every light cycle. What will really get your attention though is the number of heavy trucks that do it at 50 mph.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup, I see it everyday. At 6:00 or so, there's a good chance you'll see a few cops who have pulled over red light runners, but there's never anyone at the Briarforest/Beltway intersection.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man, Austin driving sucks! And this is coming from a Houstonian! I have never felt so frustrated. All the damn construction and endless miles of 1 lane.

Also, no offense to any Austinites here...but Austin drivers are A**holes too....I was flicked off twice when doing nothing, both times I wasn't even on the damn road...one of them I wasn't even in a freakin car!

A buddy of mine played at Shooters in cedarpark this past weekend so thats the reason I was in the area.

17. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Drivers in Austin (usually people who learned how to drive here) have a problem with slowing down and getting behind someone when they want to change lanes, rather than speding up and getting in front of them. So you constantly have people braking on the highways for seemingly no reason and it makes things really congested. It also makes the overall speed that people drive about 10 under the speed limit, even if traffic is minimal. You can go the speed limit here and feel like you are flying, passing up every car you see. That's just what I've noticed in my 6 years living here. There IS such a thing as driving too defensively. Sometimes you just have to punch the gas or you will never get where you want to go.

18. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

Won't matter....as soon as the light turns red, the cameras snap the shot of the plates of the vehicles running the red light....then you get the ticket in the mail, or at least that's how they do it here. I had a friend have that same situation, tried to explain it, but still had to pay a $100 fine.

19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Funny that this thread came up...I have a brother-in-law that lives in LA (Cerritos) and he works for a car dealership. And I was in CA for the past few weeks visiting and saw that his Accord had a cardboard license place...like the ones you get when you first buy a new car. So I asked him if his car was new and he told me that he had it for a year. So I then asked him why he still had the cardboards...and he mentioned that he didn't want to get any tickets because most of the intersections in that area of LA had cameras. I laughed it off...pretty smart, though...he's never gotten a ticket.

20. Molotov Cocktail

Molotov Cocktail Contributing Member

True story, I swear: Here in Anchorage they installed red-light cameras because people here do it all the time, too. And EVERYBODY b****ed about it, but the politicians said it was for the good of the city. But all of a sudden, some of the more notable politicians started getting tickets from these cameras, including (or rumored, I should say) the Mayor. Within 6 months the cameras were gone.

That's politics in Alaska for ya!